Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flying on / after nex gen system cutover day (May 9)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

I received the following notice from Southwest

Travel notice
You're traveling during the launch of our next generation reservation system. While we don't expect any impacts to your journey, we recommend printing your boarding pass at home or downloading it in advance of arrival using our mobile app. We also recommend getting to the airport early if your schedule allows in order to ensure a smooth travel experience. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon!
Oh fun.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Hopefully we won't see a repeat of what happened last July...
Old May 5, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Purposefully flying AA May 9th! Wishing Southwest all the best that day...
Old May 5, 2017, 3:58 pm

I was told that Southwest has blacked out non-rev travel on May 9th. The person who told me this also said he's advised friends to not travel WN that day, as he expects a complete cluster. He feels training on the new system has been inadequate. Take that for what it's worth.

On one hand, I'm glad that Southwest is actually proactively issuing warnings. On the other hand, I've never seen them do anything like this before, so I have to wonder what level of unease it took for them to actually do so.

Good luck.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:25 pm

They're pushing for no non-rev travel for a week but it's not embargoed. I certainly wouldn't try the A-List standby for about a week either. There is supposed to be quite a few people on hand to answer questions, but if it is spread across every station, bigger areas might suffer. The stations that fly international should be better off.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
To give an idea of how badly this can go, I point to the US Airways/America West system integration of March 2007.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...y-update_n.htm

US Airways continued to struggle with a faulty reservation-and-ticketing system Monday, and attempted to keep lines down at key airports by adding workers and encouraging travelers to use the Internet for flight check-ins.

When the new system started over the weekend, it failed to communicate with ticketing kiosks at airports. That forced all passengers to check in at airport counters, creating massive lines. On a normal day, 40% of passengers would use kiosks to check in, Kirby said.

Some passengers on Monday still faced lengthy waits: 90 minutes in Philadelphia, and 45 minutes in Charlotte, for example. But those times were better than Sunday, when waits at times lasted about two hours, Kirby said.

According to airline performance tracker FlightStats, just 14% of US Airways Sunday flights scheduled to leave by early evening departed on time.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I was told that Southwest has blacked out non-rev travel on May 9th.
A blackout would not impair May 10th ops?
Old May 5, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
A blackout would not impair May 10th ops?
Apparently what I was told wasn't 100% correct.

Originally Posted by Panther02
They're pushing for no non-rev travel for a week but it's not embargoed. I certainly wouldn't try the A-List standby for about a week either. There is supposed to be quite a few people on hand to answer questions, but if it is spread across every station, bigger areas might suffer. The stations that fly international should be better off.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Fingers Crossed!

Flying on May 10.

Fortunately, I don't really HAVE to.

BTW---the booking system is giving strange messages for changes to companion reservations:

If you don't wait the obligatory 10 minutes for a cancelled companion pass reservation to process before you try to change the non-companion's booking, you get the "your reservation has been cancelled" OOPS when trying to change the non-companion's reservation. This error message seems to be the default for the new system.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:20 pm

I have flight LAX ---> JAX on Tuesday May 9th
Departing 9:20am - one stop no aircraft change ATL - arriving 6:20pm

I love that flight and I love Southwest - but I have to be in JAX that day to prepare to move my 84 and 85-year-old parents into an independent living villa on Friday May 12th (limited move, not whole house ! -or I'd already be there).

Everything is laid out - getting keys and moving supplies on 10th, prep 10th -11th and then movers arrive on 12th at 8am.

And now I read tonight about this possible (impending/probable) cluster throughout the Southwest system. And LAX is so screwed up already (I like BUR).

Would you switch to a one way on Delta at 5:30am arriving at 2:44pm vs 3:38pm for 20K skymiles?
Old May 5, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dlaue

BTW---the booking system is giving strange messages for changes to companion reservations:
Not just for companions from what I have heard. A co-worker was trying to book WN for flights around May 9 and the system wouldn't let her. This was yesterday (Thurs), and I did have to tell her to book two one ways. WN would not do a round trip because the travel dates straddled May 9. But for some reason, she couldn't even do to two one ways either.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:15 pm

I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. All international flying has had it for years and even in stations without int'l (DAL for example) still check in pax for int'l itineraries. As most check in from home and such, I really don't think it will be that different from a normal day with just a few oddities here and there.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. All international flying has had it for years and even in stations without int'l (DAL for example) still check in pax for int'l itineraries. As most check in from home and such, I really don't think it will be that different from a normal day with just a few oddities here and there.
I hope you're right. But I suspect you're wrong.

At MDW, international is a completely different counter, staffed by completely different staff. International still operates a separate call center. The number of staff currently using the new system is very small.

Beginning May 9th everyone will have to use the new system, and the vast majority of them have only limited training using it.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
I received the following notice from Southwest
I can't recall seeing this degree of humility from a large public company. Except after the fact, which doesn't count.

^^^
Old May 5, 2017, 11:58 pm

As stated above by 737MAX8, the Altea system has been in production use for international itineraries for a while. To summarize the sentiments I've gotten from asking my colleagues on the ground in many stations, I think the biggest hurdle is the unfamiliarity with the new system. It's not so much that training is inadequate, rather that until you're in the driver's seat using it regularly it takes time to recall the steps quickly. Unfortunately with so many employees to train, some will have had their training many months prior to rollout. In stations like LAX for example with existing international service, the agents suggested to me that May 9 will be a non-event there since the majority have been using Altea for a while.

Also as mentioned, there is a huge amount of extra staff that will be available to ease the transition. Personally, I think the biggest issue will be longer lines and wait times - the systems will function normally but the agents will need patience as they adjust. Additionally, the crew scheduling system is not part of the transition, so that's one fewer moving piece. I'm scheduled to work and I'm not concerned. At a minimum, should something happen at least the company is poised to react much more swiftly than in July.

And I'll confirm that nonrev travel is discouraged but not embargoed. (Imagine commuters not being able to get to work - that might cause a meltdown
)

(The comments and opinions above are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.