Hidden City

Old May 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
In my mind, definitely a situation where representatives should be empowered to make exceptions. Whether a passenger or a shareholder, the end result was negative. At the very least, there should have been a way to protect the second leg of her itinerary after a "no show" to ATL. Instead, she occupied an otherwise saleable seat in both directions.

Out of curiosity, would she have been comfortable paying the same amount she ended up paying for the ATL round trip as a sort of "change fee" to save herself the two unnecessary legs, if they'd been able to work that out?
Yes, and she would have been comfortable paying the cost of a one way ticket in place of the initial leg.

The most outrageous part was they wanted more to change the ticket than the cost of buying a whole new ticket plus the entire cost of the original ticket.

Just a note non-refundable does not generally mean unchangeable.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; May 17, 2017 at 1:08 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't argue with that, but parties are free to amend contracts on mutually agreeable terms.

The terms offered by Delta to modify the existing contract were extremely unreasonable and irrational. Similar actions by airlines over many years often against their own financial interest has lead to the widespread anger against them.
Oh, it's rational from the airlines' perspective. They spend years of effort greasing multiple layers of the political process to protect their fortress hubs. DL worked hard to be able to charge $1200 for that ticket: why should they give it up?

The cartel doesn't really care if people are mad at it. It knows we will still buy tickets.

Oh look, United Airlines is trading at record highs in the past couple of weeks...
Old May 17, 2017, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW RR
Originally Posted by nsx
If you didn't use ticketless funds for the $5.60 fee and if you care about preserving refundability of that $5.60 you would need to cancel and rebook rather than just change the reservation.
Just to be sure I understand.

If I cancel, I will be get my $5.60 back on my credit card. Then I will rebook at the lower points and pay the $5.60 again and get a new confirm number.

But if I change the reservation and something comes up and I don't go on this flight, then the $5.60 will turn into funds that must be used within a year of original purchase date.

Correct?
Old May 17, 2017, 2:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by vegaslover8

If I cancel, I will be get my $5.60 back on my credit card. Then I will rebook at the lower points and pay the $5.60 again and get a new confirm number.

But if I change the reservation and something comes up and I don't go on this flight, then the $5.60 will turn into funds that must be used within a year of original purchase date.

Correct?
Correct.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
WN doesn't have a fortress hub and doesn't even really have hubs (just places where people connect because it may have the MDW market but not Chicago and BWI, but not Washington-Baltimore).
STL is getting awful close to a WN Fortress Hub -- thankfully not pricewise yet. But if you want to go to a city that is NOT one of the Big 3's Hubs, WN flies a lot of nonstop flights across the country in & out of STL. Probably due to the Central location AND the Point-to-Point system, as it makes Midwest airports natural "hubs"

From what I understand WN is expanding into the old TWA "D" Concourse Gates that have been unused and closed for years at STL
Old May 18, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by vegaslover8

Correct?
Yep. I'd flip the sequence in the first scenario, though - book the new reservation first, then go back and cancel the old one. That way you know you have the ticket at the new lower price. The duplicate itinerary auto-cancellation utility isn't real-time from all reports I've seen, so you shouldn't have a problem in that regard.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Award seat? Honestly, I'd just change the existing itin. The refundability of the five bucks wouldn't enter my mind.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW RR
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Yep. I'd flip the sequence in the first scenario, though - book the new reservation first, then go back and cancel the old one. That way you know you have the ticket at the new lower price. The duplicate itinerary auto-cancellation utility isn't real-time from all reports I've seen, so you shouldn't have a problem in that regard.
Thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't matter now. Price went back up to my original purchase price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.