Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Some of our stalwart WN FTers used to staunchly defend the no-standby (free) policy when AA, UA etc had it. Saying that it would incentivize folks to buy the cheap late flight and just standby for an earlier one.

has the math changed? Or simply comp pressure?
The math for other airlines has always been that it's better to fill the seat on the early flight than let it go out empty. Even though both options earn zero dollars, filling it with a standby opens up a seat on a later flight, which has a nonzero probability of selling. It also allows them to overbook the late flight more aggressively (assuming they have the right kind of data).

The downside as you mention is that someone seeking a lower price could buy a later (cheaper) flight and then standby for the desired flight. However, I don't see this as a very attractive option. If the desired flight has a higher price at the time of booking, it's probably more heavily booked, which means the chances of getting on with standby would be small. Plus, anyone who values 2+ hours of their time less than the difference in fare probably isn't going to buy the more expensive flight anyway (with or without the standby option).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Has anyone called ahead to see what availability for standby is? If so what was the response?

When I flew Airtran a lot I had the same benefit (although you could also try to take a later flight) and I could call the Elite phone line and they would tell me generally what the situation was , "Sold Out" "less than 5", "less than 10", "more that 10" etc. Sometimes they would say, something like "You'll have no problem".
Answering my own question. My wife called ahead and was told there were "more than 7 seats" available. When she got to the gate that issued her a B-58 Boarding Pass, but she boarded at A-61 and was fine.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
Only a gate agent can put you and your companion on standby on an earlier flight.

You cannot exercise this new benefit on your own.

There is ALWAYS a risk that you (as an A lister) could be cleared off the standby list but your companion (due to his/her lower standby priority) would not. So, it is important to check before you leave for the airport to confirm that there are 8 seats still for sale on the flights on which you might want to standby.
Just got on an earlier flight from LAX with a companion. Can confirm that the ticketing agent was able to put us both on standby. I'm glad I didn't wait to go to the gate because our luggage would not have made it. When in doubt go to the ticketing agent so your bags will be on an earlier flight. The earlier flight was oversold and they asked for volunteers but we were able to make the flight as the last two people on.

However, this was a connecting flight, and the printer stopped working so they were unable to print a pass for that flight or the connecting flight. At the next airport (hou) the gate agent said they couldn't give me a boarding pass until they cleared everyone. Is that how that's supposed to work? If I had known I could be stuck in another city I wouldn't have boarded the flight. I assumed once you were on the first flight you would be confirmed to your destination. Am I wrong?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ksuwldkat
Just got on an earlier flight from LAX with a companion. Can confirm that the ticketing agent was able to put us both on standby. I'm glad I didn't wait to go to the gate because our luggage would not have made it. When in doubt go to the ticketing agent so your bags will be on an earlier flight. The earlier flight was oversold and they asked for volunteers but we were able to make the flight as the last two people on.

However, this was a connecting flight, and the printer stopped working so they were unable to print a pass for that flight or the connecting flight. At the next airport (hou) the gate agent said they couldn't give me a boarding pass until they cleared everyone. Is that how that's supposed to work? If I had known I could be stuck in another city I wouldn't have boarded the flight. I assumed once you were on the first flight you would be confirmed to your destination. Am I wrong?
Flew standby from my direct SJC-AUS to SJC-PHX-AUS two weeks ago, and the gate agent at SJC said that the gate agent in PHX wouldn't be able to clear me until I got there, but there were tons of seats left. By the time I landed in PHX, the gate agent there gave me a ticket no questions asked and the flight was full. Maybe this is a YMMW situation?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:11 pm

Data point: A-lister scheduled on the 9:30p OAK-ONT. Arrived at ~7:30p, saw that the 7:30p OAK-ONT was delayed to 8:15p. Asked the ticketing agent about standby, said I had no checked bags. Agent immediately printed out standby passes for myself and my companion and said to hurry through security because boarding was about to begin. Flight was wide open and away we went - score! Glad to see the CP is so easy to use with this benefit
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by traveldreaming
Data point: A-lister scheduled on the 9:30p OAK-ONT. Arrived at ~7:30p, saw that the 7:30p OAK-ONT was delayed to 8:15p. Asked the ticketing agent about standby, said I had no checked bags. Agent immediately printed out standby passes for myself and my companion and said to hurry through security because boarding was about to begin. Flight was wide open and away we went - score! Glad to see the CP is so easy to use with this benefit
Happy to hear this! Wondering now if it would be possible to do that via phone, before you have to leave for the airport...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by synergistic
Happy to hear this! Wondering now if it would be possible to do that via phone, before you have to leave for the airport...
The only case in which you can get any accommodation before reaching the airport is when your flight has been canceled.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
You can call in and they will tell you if there are seats available. Depending on who you get they might tell you the exact number of some vague approximation.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You can call in and they will tell you if there are seats available. Depending on who you get they might tell you the exact number of some vague approximation.
If I were Southwest management, I would stop this in its tracks and forbid phone agents from giving out this info. I don't want my agents time being taken up by people vaguely contemplating getting on an earlier flight.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
If I were Southwest management, I would stop this in its tracks and forbid phone agents from giving out this info. I don't want my agents time being taken up by people vaguely contemplating getting on an earlier flight.
That makes little sense to me. If you are A-list (the only people who qualify) you are already one of their better customers and they should help you out. As far as I can tell there are generally only about 10 A-listers on the average flight (but it could be more in some markets). It also gives them a seat to sell later or maybe help an oversold situation.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:02 pm

As far as I can tell there are generally only about 10 A-listers on the average flight (but it could be more in some markets).
I am A-list. I am rarely higher than A-45.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
I am A-list. I am rarely higher than A-45.
That would mean there are about 30 A-listers on your flights.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:02 pm

Which was the point of my post.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Likely a few more in the A1-A15 bucket too...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:40 am

That makes little sense to me. If you are A-list (the only people who qualify) you are already one of their better customers and they should help you out. As far as I can tell there are generally only about 10 A-listers on the average flight (but it could be more in some markets). It also gives them a seat to sell later or maybe help an oversold situation.
The Thursday 4:30pm flight from MDW to STL routinely has 70-80 A-Listers. Just yesterday I had B18 for that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.