Search

New "Review Itinerary" spam emails

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
New "Review Itinerary" spam emails

Not content to spam me with "Your trip is around the corner!" emails for every single reservation, Southwest has now decided to add another flavor of spam, trying to capture hotel or car booking commissions.

I guess it's time to set up gmail filters to kill all this spam. Sigh.

To top it off, their new system doesn't (as of 2 weeks ago) send an email confirmation when you change a post May 8 points booking. Yet another reason to cancel and rebook rather than change reservation on any travel post May 8.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I noticed two new flavors of emails for trips this week. Both emails now start with the PNR.

The first flavor came about 5 days before departure asking, "XXXXXX: Have you booked your rental car?"

The second flavor came 3 days before departure with, "XXXXXX: Burbank trip: Review complete itinerary."

I hope I don't get TWO unnecessary emails for every flight now!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I guess I'm lucky to have avoided these so far. (I don't have anything unchecked in the Communications prefs, FWIW)

Also, one month is not "around the corner" by my way of thinking More than once I've done a double-take " I thought I cancelled that trip!?" only to realize it was talking about a different one.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW, I did get one last month and needed a personally paid for rental car for the first time in a very long time and took the bait and got a decent deal and some WN points! Beat Costco by a few bucks.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
I guess I'm lucky to have avoided these so far.
I spoke too soon, just got the rental car spam.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I've actually been able to find some pretty aggressive pricing on occasion. Also found some that weren't even close to what I had booked already.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:02 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The variations on Subject line for these emails will make filtering them more difficult that it needed to be. Maybe that was the objective.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I got both the rental car spam email and the review your itinerary emails today, strangely for different bookings that are on the same day. 1 booking is for me, and 1 is for my mom that I used points from my account for.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I've actually been able to find some pretty aggressive pricing on occasion.
I'll keep an eye open. I have a trip in a couple weeks and would welcome a better price on my car than what I have already. I didn't book it through Southwest so their system is unaware of it... C'mon emails!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:56 pm

Seems like Alaska has stepped up their "trip right around the corner" spamming too. I guess that is the latest industry move. I cut WN a little more slack than the others because they don't charge for baggage check in and have better refund policies. But it is annoying.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:55 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I just created 4 or 5 filters to auto-delete these messages plus the Around the Corner spam. As long as Southwest does not keep changing the message titles this should suffice.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I just created 4 or 5 filters to auto-delete these messages plus the Around the Corner spam. As long as Southwest does not keep changing the message titles this should suffice.
Apparently, the pre-travel email message formats have just been revamped and are now rolling out.

New Updates Flying Into Your Inbox

With more changes to come, I suspect updating filters may be a futile activity.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I got one today asking me to complete my itinerary by adding my RR #

i had booked it with my RR attached. And it shows on the app. More IT woes?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:16 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
More IT woes?
Inconceivable!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:59 pm

Unsubscribe?

Instead of setting up filters, why not just unsubscribe from the emails? Back when I did it last year it was the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email, not a preference in your account. Pretty simple to do and my inbox has been much happier ever since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.