Uh-oh! WN & F9 2 planes collide at PHX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Uh-oh! WN & F9 2 planes collide at PHX

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-sou...uries-reported

Uh-oh! Both Southwest & Frontier is collided with the entire aircraft and appear nobody who got injured. Both aircraft will have to be towed. I just heard the news.

twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/832487530075336709

Someone who took a pics from his plane. Can't you guys believe this?

Last edited by N830MH; Feb 17, 2017 at 12:52 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
So, I was wondering after I heard this, what kind of compensation are you due for this type of incident? Is it like a mechanical failure where they'll pay for your hotel room?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
So, I was wondering after I heard this, what kind of compensation are you due for this type of incident? Is it like a mechanical failure where they'll pay for your hotel room?
Clearly everyone should sue for surviving a plane crash. But if you're good with a $79 free hotel room, I'm sure Southwest will cut you a deal!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
At least the WN flight was taxiing to the gate and not the runway! Those people were already where they needed to be.

But as for the incident, if the WN flight was taxiing, shouldn't it have the right of way? If I backed into another car while coming out of a parking space, I know I would be at fault. Anyone know what the rules are for taxiing?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by BOSstorageguy
Anyone know what the rules are for taxiing?
I am a pilot...it is the Ground Controller who calls out which plane goes where on what taxiway when and basically assigns who has right of way and who should give way to whom...but it is still 100% pilots responsibility not to hit anything in that process.

Now, if one of the pilots screwed up an instruction or Ground screwed up an instruction...slightly different story...but that still does not absolve the pilot of their "see and avoid" responsibilities.

Just cuz your light is green in the intersection does not mean you can drive into the car still trying to exit the intersection!

Looking at the story, sounds like the Frontier was pushing back and the WN was taxing...in which case it is on the tug crew and the spotter to ensure that the pushback is clear. Sounds like a spotter got complacent and was not looking. Normally the call from Ground would be "pushback approved, make way for company passing"...but if that later part was left out...that is why there is a spotter. That one is on the ramp crew, not the pilot...but be willing to bet that Ground Controller was also complacent and neglected to advise pushback of approaching WN traffic. Any accident or incident like this is usually not a result on any one single failure but rather a sequence of failures along the process.

Active taxing has right of way over pushbacks unless otherwise instructed by Ground Controller.

As I see it, it would be the same as you are driving down a road and someone from a cross street with a stop sign decides to proceed and cross without looking for traffic they are supposed to yield to.

Last edited by PAX62; Feb 17, 2017 at 10:47 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:44 am

A follow-up report on who ultimately was deemed at fault should be published somewhere.

​​​​​​That ever happened in these incidents? I realize news directors have the attention-span of a fruit fly...but still.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by LegalTender
A follow-up report on who ultimately was deemed at fault should be published somewhere.

​​​​​​That ever happened in these incidents?
Yes, there will be a preliminary report then a final report published months/years down the road on almost every incident/accident for even small aircraft.

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f?p=100:93:0::NO:::

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender

​​​​​​That ever happened in these incidents? I realize news directors have the attention-span of a fruit fly...but still.
It'll be published, but it's hardly worthy of much mainstream news coverage. Online pilot forums will no doubt dissect it.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
I'm sure the FAA will make a report. In general you think it would that even if the news media did not report you could somehow look it up on the FAA site.

Will that data be there when we want to look? That is a good question as in the recent past data seems to be disappearing from government websites at an alarming rate.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:45 am

Does Frontier use tugs at PHX?

I know some airlines simply reverse thrust and back out under their own power. Airtran used to do it all the time.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Does Frontier use tugs at PHX?

I know some airlines simply reverse thrust and back out under their own power. Airtran used to do it all the time.
I HIGHLY doubt any major U.S. airline is still doing powered pushbacks, especially in a plane whose engines are that close to the ground.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Clearly everyone should sue for surviving a plane crash. But if you're good with a $79 free hotel room, I'm sure Southwest will cut you a deal!
If you sue for surviving a plane "crash" (without any back/neck injuries, pain, etc.), how much more can you get for not surviving?

The picture looks more like their wing tips touched versus a real crash.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Most aircraft insurance claims are for this kind of damage.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dlaue
Most aircraft insurance claims are for this kind of damage.
Yeah! They had to pay for the damage. Those aircraft will be out of service. They will fixed the those aircraft.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah! They had to pay for the damage. Those aircraft will be out of service. They will fixed the those aircraft.
And...a little known fact...collisions of taxiing aircraft are within the jurisdiction of the local police department.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.