Sat next to COS

Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
My view is that there was a CS failure on multiple levels. First, WN website should have a special message encouraging COS to buy 2 seats. Second, the GA - who very well knew this was a full flight - should have stopped the COS and asked where his 2nd boarding pass was, and then IDB'd him. Third, the FA should have done the same thing when she was notified that the COS could not fit in his seat.
COSs are what percentage of flyers? 0.001? 0.0001? Any site shouldn't be posting a 'special message' when it only affects 1 in 10,000 flyers or whatever small amount of flyers that turns out to be.

And as stated, no flight attendant is going to stop a COS and deal with the media attention of denying someone a seat they paid for (the media isn't going to state the COS was at fault for not buying 2 seats). Even in this case, they're dealing with one person who, other than on this thread, isn't known about to any other person in the world. And even then, many people aren't agreeing with the stated facts from the OP. This is a no-sweat situation with Southwest...which is how they prefer it to be.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
COSs are what percentage of flyers? 0.001? 0.0001? Any site shouldn't be posting a 'special message' when it only affects 1 in 10,000 flyers or whatever small amount of flyers that turns out to be.
IME it is at least 1 per flight, except from Orlando where the average is 2 per flight. YMMV.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
IME it is at least 1 per flight, except from Orlando where the average is 2 per flight. YMMV.
I'd say that estimate is way too high; otherwise there'll be numerous people on here telling stories about the one seat that was half empty on their flight because someone was a COS.

Just walking around the airport, 1% of flyers being COS would be noticed in lines, corridors, etc. I barely see 1, period, not 1%.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
I'd say that estimate is way too high; otherwise there'll be numerous people on here telling stories about the one seat that was half empty on their flight because someone was a COS.

Just walking around the airport, 1% of flyers being COS would be noticed in lines, corridors, etc. I barely see 1, period, not 1%.
For MCO I see plenty at the airport or at least plenty that would roll well over the armrest and should be a COS. On WN I probably notice one COS for every other flight I'm on out of MCO, usually a pre-boarder (im fine with this). I would agree that I see COS's more out of MCO than other airports and I see more COS's on WN than other airlines. I'm still don't get why airlines don't encourage COS's to buy a second ticket and not have some GA's and FA's harass some that appear too small. Might as well have minimum bag weights.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
For MCO I see plenty at the airport or at least plenty that would roll well over the armrest and should be a COS. On WN I probably notice one COS for every other flight I'm on out of MCO, usually a pre-boarder (im fine with this). I would agree that I see COS's more out of MCO than other airports and I see more COS's on WN than other airlines. I'm still don't get why airlines don't encourage COS's to buy a second ticket and not have some GA's and FA's harass some that appear too small. Might as well have minimum bag weights.

I would think it varies by route. BUF>XXX and XXX>BUF seems to be above average.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:33 pm

As primarily a single flyer, I keep my eyes open for a single COS; I grab the aisle or window adjacent to their blocked middle whenever I can. Unfortunately, many (if not most) COS I see also have a traveling companion. My routes are primarily MDW/LAS, MDW/BWI and LAS/OAK, and I'd estimate I see an actual (self-declared) COS on 2/3rds of my flights. (The number of passengers I see that perhaps should be a COS is much higher, of course.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.