Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List Challenge

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I completed the challenge a few weeks ago. My status changed to A-List as soon as the flight posted, valid through 31 Dec 2017.

Now to see if I can qualify for A-List for next year at a time when my travel has dropped off steeply....
Old May 3, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I completed the challenge a few weeks ago. My status changed to A-List as soon as the flight posted, valid through 31 Dec 2017.

Now to see if I can qualify for A-List for next year at a time when my travel has dropped off steeply....
I'm sort of here too, except my issue is that I have a ton of points and hate spending cash when I have perfectly good points sitting there. They're more valuable on cheap/short flights, but with standby privileges I'm anxious to make sure I retain A-List. A couple good segment runs are probably in order this year =/
Old May 3, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines
I finished the challenge the last week in April. I did a quick BOS-BWI run that last Tuesday of the month for $80 round trip for my third round trip since I really didn't have anywhere else to be before the deadline. My status changed the next day. I had A-list last year with the challenge and thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't think I'll fly enough to keep it after the end of the year though so I'm hoping for another challenge in 2018.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by synergistic
I have a ton of points and hate spending cash when I have perfectly good points sitting there. They're more valuable on cheap/short flights, but with standby privileges I'm anxious to make sure I retain A-List. A couple good segment runs are probably in order this year =/
My situation is similar. I make 90+ trips per year, almost all on cheap fares. The lowest fares are a good deal on points, but I need 50 paid trips to retain A-List Preferred. I keep it simple by booking paid flights for the first half of the year then switching to points for trips from September on. I lose less than 10k Companion Qualifying points because those 40 trips are so cheap.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I have A list on the boarding pass for my flight tomorrow. However, on Southwest web site it still says "Earned Through 4/29/17"
Old May 4, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I received a fast track promo with the same requirements (3 RT/6 OW) within 90 days to get A-list for a year. This one requires proof of current elite status on another airlines, but in return provides a bump to A-list during the qualification period ^

Unfortunately the promo is targeted and tied to our corporate contract, so no link.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Putnik
I think I earned A list through the end of the year, but my account on Southwest.com still shows Earned Through 4/29/17
I received my A List card in the mail, but the web site still shows Earned Through 4/29/17
Old May 23, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Is earning status possible while using a companion pass? I feel like there must be some kind of discounted miles you receive on companion pass bookings.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:22 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by layoverdan
Is earning status possible while using a companion pass? I feel like there must be some kind of discounted miles you receive on companion pass bookings.
If you are the companion you earn nothing. Sorry.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I mean the non companion ticket
Old May 24, 2017, 7:21 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The primary traveler earns normal points as if the companion were not present.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:03 am

Heck, the companion even flies free when you fly free on points...it's a great benefit
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I got a promo for A-List and it says the following:

We know you’re going to love A-List. To extend your perks through the end of 2019, simply register by November 30. Then, book and fly two revenue round trip flights (or four revenue one-way flights, it’s up to you!), or earn 5,833 tier qualifying points by December 15, 2018.

I guess my question is how literal does SWA get?
- must I book 2 roundtrips or book 4 one ways ONLY?
- or can I still qualify with 1 roundtrip & 2 one ways (4 segments total)

Is their point just travel on 4 paid segments? With rules being so literal just wanted to clarify.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
4 paid segments, but they're trying to tell you that a connecting flight doesn't count as two segments.

So MDW-SDF-MCO, MCO-BWI, BWI-MSY-HOU, HOU-MDW for example would qualify.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Ah got it thanks Nick. That is what I thought. It didn't make sense to me if you had to choose between only two roundtrips or four one ways without the ability to mix and match. After being on FT for so long I've literally dissected every word of T & C's to the point that I question every word and article. Thanks for the sanity check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.