Wiki Posts
Search

Another pre-board scam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Another pre-board scam

This one really irritates me.

Flying Philly to Phoenix this afternoon...A-21 boarding pass. Attendant calls for pre-boarders and a family approaches the gate. Young family...all appear perfectly healthy. They conference for a minutes...dad and a few kids then step aside while mom and another child (maybe 7) check in and proceed down the tunnel. No disability to speak of.

When I get to the plane, mom is standing alone in the bulkhead row on the left. "These are saved", she tells me. So I look to the right to see the kid sitting in the window seat of the other bulkhead row. Before I can even ask, she says, "That row is saved, too."

The lady seriously saved 2 rows of prime seats thanks to this out-of-control pre-board "perk" (aka: scam).

SW...you had better do something about this!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Ponyboy
No disability to speak of.
Wow...
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just sit down in the seat you want. I'd have grabbed bulkhead aisle on the right if the exit rows were already taken.

If this "lady," and I use the word in lieu of a more appropriate epithet, needed to be with her precious 7 year old spawn to board early, she'd damned well better be sitting next to it.

Safe travels,
Doc
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:47 pm

"Yeah saved for me. Excuse me please."
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Same beef, new thread.

Southwest is not going to "do" anything, except to say thanks for flying.

Do not engage, do not converse. Pick your seat and sit in it. The end.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, glad to hear that OP was able to assess the kid's lack of a disability without any medical assessment. With that kind of a skill, ought to be able to get a job which pays enough to fly F on a real carrier !

Second, WN does not assign seats. With a very few exceptions not relevant here, you may choose any unoccupied seat. Presumably the "lady" sits down next to the kid and you sit down wherever else you want on the aircraft.

Yes, it is a scam. But, but not by WN.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
This one really irritates me.

Flying Philly to Phoenix this afternoon...A-21 boarding pass. Attendant calls for pre-boarders and a family approaches the gate. Young family...all appear perfectly healthy. They conference for a minutes...dad and a few kids then step aside while mom and another child (maybe 7) check in and proceed down the tunnel. No disability to speak of.
Not sure which is more irritating. What she did or your assumptions.

The lady seriously saved 2 rows of prime seats thanks to this out-of-control pre-board "perk" (aka: scam).

SW...you had better do something about this!
Preboarding is hardly a perk for those of us that need it. And prime in this case is very subjective. I could care less about the bulkhead seats. I do think she was pushing things saving two rows anywhere on the plane but nothing says she cannot.

And there's not much WN can do about preboarding. Without assigned seats they legally have to allow preboarding and as long as they allow it, people will abuse it.

Originally Posted by Often1
First, glad to hear that OP was able to assess the kid's lack of a disability without any medical assessment. With that kind of a skill, ought to be able to get a job which pays enough to fly F on a real carrier !

Second, WN does not assign seats. With a very few exceptions not relevant here, you may choose any unoccupied seat. Presumably the "lady" sits down next to the kid and you sit down wherever else you want on the aircraft.

Yes, it is a scam. But, but not by WN.
I agree with what you are saying but I don't believe WN uses the word "unoccupied" anywhere when talking about seats. They simply say "available seat". Whether intentional or not, if I'm saving a seat and someone wants to sit there, I would simply say "sorry, that seat isn't available, I'm saving it for...".

That said, saving two rows, while not prohibited, is very inconsiderate.

Although the next person to come along to this thread might take the position that they are glad they wanted 6 seats together as that was less competition for the exit row. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

OK, honest question...

Honest question to those criticizing me about "assessing" disability...

What sort of disabilities should merit pre-board ability?

I have absolutely no concern allowing those with temporary or permanent physical disability to board first.

Wheelchair bound...of course.
Broken leg...no problem.
Bad shoulder...sure.
Elderly...absolutely..
Sprained ankle...OK.

But when I see a passenger literally move around the terminal with more spring in their step than me, practically skip down the tunnel, then toss luggage in the overhead compartment with ease...they are using pre-board as a perk and it's bothersome. Especially when they then save seats for friends and family.

Does ADD merit pre-board? Or anxiety? Or depression? Because I was feeling pretty low on Monday and I have a trip again next week....
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I suspect no one would care very much if they grabbed a whole row somewhere in the mid/back of the plane. But they behaved like jerks.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Next time just sit in the seat, an open seat is an open seat.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by justhere
Not sure which is more irritating. What she did or your assumptions.

Preboarding is hardly a perk for those of us that need it. And prime in this case is very subjective. I could care less about the bulkhead seats. I do think she was pushing things saving two rows anywhere on the plane but nothing says she cannot.

And there's not much WN can do about preboarding. Without assigned seats they legally have to allow preboarding and as long as they allow it, people will abuse it.

I agree with what you are saying but I don't believe WN uses the word "unoccupied" anywhere when talking about seats. They simply say "available seat". Whether intentional or not, if I'm saving a seat and someone wants to sit there, I would simply say "sorry, that seat isn't available, I'm saving it for...".

That said, saving two rows, while not prohibited, is very inconsiderate.

Although the next person to come along to this thread might take the position that they are glad they wanted 6 seats together as that was less competition for the exit row. One man's meat is another man's poison.
You are free to believe what you want about what "available seat" means.

But, you are not a crew member. So, I could care less.

If there is not someone physically present in the seat, it is available and I will sit there if I want.

WN will not interfere in that decision.

It is also a simple and common-sense interpretation of a simple and common-sense term.

This is not about who is being inconsiderate. The "lady" is a fool and OP is complaining about nothing. He let her get away with it.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:59 pm

Honest question to those criticizing me about "assessing" disability...

What sort of disabilities should merit pre-board ability?

I have absolutely no concern allowing those with temporary or permanent physical disability to board first.

Wheelchair bound...of course.
Broken leg...no problem.
Bad shoulder...sure.
Elderly...absolutely..
Sprained ankle...OK.

But when I see a passenger literally move around the terminal with more spring in their step than me, practically skip down the tunnel, then toss luggage in the overhead compartment with ease...they are using pre-board as a perk and it's bothersome. Especially when they then save seats for friends and family.

Does ADD merit pre-board? Or anxiety? Or depression? Because I was feeling pretty low on Monday and I have a trip again next week....
This is your second issue of this type during your very short FT tenure; the first one had an inconsistency that rendered it fallacy to some. It appears that you would be better served by flying another carrier since this one appears to cause you so much angst. Oh...and as a previous poster noted, congrats on your ability to diagnose disabilities with such acuity; properly used, that skill should allow you to soon fly private.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
This is your second issue of this type during your very short FT tenure; the first one had an inconsistency that rendered it fallacy to some. It appears that you would be better served by flying another carrier since this one appears to cause you so much angst. Oh...and as a previous poster noted, congrats on your ability to diagnose disabilities with such acuity; properly used, that skill should allow you to soon fly private.
Yes, it is my second issue. Glad I made an impression.

I fly a lot and see this issue all too frequently...therefore I write about it on a forum dedicated to such discussion. Weird, I know.

You're welcome to ignore my posts, or better yet spend your time on the Web looking at cat videos.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:39 pm

Thank God we've got another thread on this. This issue hasn't been beaten to death in the last 749 threads.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: none
You might be a jerk if....
You abuse the pre-boarding process It's just inconsiderate.
You try to save extra premium seats. It's just inconsiderate.

You might also be a jerk if you ...
You try to take a seat that someone else is saving. It's just inconsiderate.

There's no policy preventing it either way.
What kind of jerk do YOU want to be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.