Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Select is a joke

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by braddqq
At the risk of sounding insensitive, couldn't preboarders go after Business Select? I think that would make sense, and if I had to preboard if god forbid i need some extra time, I think i'd be ok with letting the business travelers who paid bucks for their tickets get first dibs at seats...
They can't sit in the exit rows. So who cares?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:41 pm

True joshua362. I guess I am not very confident they enforce it, I swear I've seen people sitting there that preboarded.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:12 pm

True joshua362. I guess I am not very confident they enforce it, I swear I've seen people sitting there that preboarded.
How do you know they weren't thrus?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Great for mega points and quick status when someone else paying the tab.
Well, sure. If people want to treat their employers that way and the employers are dumb enough to allow it, I guess it's ok.

If I had an employee do that, I'd fire him.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Well, sure. If people want to treat their employers that way and the employers are dumb enough to allow it, I guess it's ok.

If I had an employee do that, I'd fire him.
I have two clients that require the purchase of refundable tickets. Many businesses do.

When traveling to them, I pay for the AT to BS upgrade at check-in. Other than that, unless it's last minute (and in that case other carriers usually beat WN), I never pay for BS myself.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
At the risk of sounding insensitive, couldn't preboarders go after Business Select? I think that would make sense, and if I had to preboard if god forbid i need some extra time, I think i'd be ok with letting the business travelers who paid bucks for their tickets get first dibs at seats...
There's a very long thread about preboarders and opinions about them. The cliff notes are that it's not so much about the extra time as it is the seats themselves. As long as WN has open seating the law requires them to allow preboarders to board first to ensure they get seats that accommodate their situation, such as near the front, left aisle, right aisle, etc, etc.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ursine1
I have two clients that require the purchase of refundable tickets. Many businesses do.

When traveling to them, I pay for the AT to BS upgrade at check-in. Other than that, unless it's last minute (and in that case other carriers usually beat WN), I never pay for BS myself.
Thanks, that was what I was referring to, not that even one oughta soak their employer. And mine didn't mind the $20 or so BS upcharge as BS fares were discounted 5% through Concur.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm sure there must be some benefit over booking WGA but given the price difference and that you can book EBCI for $30 I have no idea why anyone would book a fare ( if it's available ) other than WGA
Because it is refundable.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:00 pm

Well, refundable flights booked to travel after May 9, 2017 are refundable*.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by joshua362
Great for mega points and quick status when someone else paying the tab.
It is great when someone else is paying the tab, but even when I'm flying on my own dime I'll frequently pay the upcharge from AT to BS. The extra miles and other benefits are often worth the premium.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

AT to BS is absolutely worth it, the flare difference is nominal.

WGA to BS can be 6x or more.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:08 am

If on a short notice flight where WGA fares are no longer available I will usually book BS since the AT fare is not significantly less.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by bustraveler
A1 boarding pass. 5 pre boards plus a companion. And at least 15 passengers continuing on the flight. So not even in the first 15 passengers on the plane. What's the point of me paying the additional $ if there is no real benefit? Feeling a bit robbed. The passenger with A15 is probably feeling even more robbed. This is nonsense.
I don't think I see the problem here. Did the fifteen through passengers somehow take every seat on the plane?

Were you expecting to sit in the co-pilot's seat?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
On my flight Friday I was A-31, so I was right at the boarding podium. I was absolutely amazed at the number of passengers who purchased a 1-15 upgrade. There must have been at least 10. Each was thanked by the GA. I guess a lot of people have decided that the extra $15-25 over EBCI is worth it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by lougord99
I was absolutely amazed at the number of passengers who purchased a 1-15 upgrade. There must have been at least 10.
Must have been very few BS fares.

I see a lot of flights where there is a big gap between the BS fares and A-16.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.