Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW Change Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:54 pm

Carriers have never been very transparent about the refundability of the September 11 security fee, Southwest included. If, indeed, the information referenced earlier in the DOT letter clarifying that it is refundable at the point that the ticket loses it's value remains true, then one hopes there is a mechanism in place for issuing those refunds. I understand the suggestion that it can be requested manually, but I again question whether WN is in compliance. As evidence to the contrary, note this part of the CoC, which specifically states that the fee is forfeited.

(iv)
Travel Credit Forfeiture.
Should a Passenger fail to apply the nonrefundable Ticket or travel credit toward the purchase of future travel within the eligibility period, the entire amount of the fare, including all taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges, will be forfeited.
So: Either the DoT directive is no longer in effect, or Southwest is afoul of the law.

I suppose a letter to the DoT is called for.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:11 pm

I have a reservation in late May that is not offering me a refund of my $5 security fees (only the option to bank the funds for later). I have not modified the reservation in any way. Anyone still getting only the one option for flights after 5/9/17?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by rikerwt
I have a reservation in late May that is not offering me a refund of my $5 security fees (only the option to bank the funds for later). I have not modified the reservation in any way. Anyone still getting only the one option for flights after 5/9/17?
Unfortunately it appears that's how it works now.

More info in this thread: Cancelling Points reservation no $5.60 back?

Last edited by ursine1; Feb 23, 2017 at 2:13 am
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ursine1
Unfortunately it appears that's how it works now.

More info in this thread: Cancelling Points reservation no $5.60 back?
Now I'm really confused, the other thread seems to indicate that it's non refundable if CHANGES were made, not for straight out refunds.

Do we know for sure if the $5.60 is not refundable for post 5/8 points res?

I ask because I made some points bookings last night to test the cancel auto theories and maybe I should do the 24 hour cancel thing as not to be bothered by a bunch of little credits.

Help!

Last edited by joshua362; Feb 23, 2017 at 6:53 am
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
The language above only says the "fare" is non-refundable, nothing specifically about fees being non-refundable. The CoC provides for the refund of fees "as required by applicable regulations". Just because WN does not automatically generate a refund upon cancellation in these cases does not mean they will not provide a refund upon request. My guess is that they do not automatically refund after a change as that would essentially be an open-ended commitment to keep your original form of payment on file. It's also a liability for the airlines (government taxes and fees are forwarded to the government shortly after purchase, they are not held by the airlines until you fly).
There's a reconciliation process LOL! That's not an excuse for failing to refund! Kind of like if you take something back to a store a month after you bought it. Just because Macy's already paid the state your sales tax doesn't mean they don't have to refund it to you when you make the return!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:56 am

I cancelled a late May trip and was not given the option for refund of the $5.60 fee, just travel credit. I never made any changes to the itinerary. I have an inquiry into Southwest about it and will update when they respond.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:34 pm

Note an update (for what it's worth) in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...5-60-back.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.