Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Just pay the upgrade to A fee for him instead of being a jerk.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Just pay the upgrade to A fee for him instead of being a jerk.
You know, if we could pay it in points, we probably would. Does it work for your whole itinerary, or just that leg?

It's not like I force the issue - if it comes to it, he takes the seat I sat in and I move elsewhere. As I said, though, usually even extra legroom middles don't look all that attractive until all the other aisles and windows start to fill up.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Stop reading seat-saving debate threads and just politely do what you want.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by danielonn
Just board with the higher bording card and tell the gate agent you want to sit together and not reserve an open seat. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness or you could ask if your companon can board early with you so as to sit together.
I regularly see the gate agent tell people they need to board in their group and if the person with the higher boarding number wants to wait and board with the person with the lower boarding number, that's fine. I've never seen a person with a higher boarding number be able to drag their companion with a lower number further ahead in the line with them.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Annerk
I regularly see the gate agent tell people they need to board in their group and if the person with the higher boarding number wants to wait and board with the person with the lower boarding number, that's fine. I've never seen a person with a higher boarding number be able to drag their companion with a lower number further ahead in the line with them.
I think you are speaking about the same thing, with the opposite terminology. I think he/she means that if you have an a boarding, for example, you forgo it and board with the B group along with your companion.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:36 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Stop reading seat-saving debate threads and just politely do what you want.
But be prepared to get called out on it and not getting what you want.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I don't mind seat savers for a single companion. It's the row hoarders that bug me. Once a guy was saving two rows. My kids would've been scattered all over the plane if we hadn't just sat in his "saved" extra row. When his friends boarded, he and they were peeved at me. But that's the luck of the draw. I do think FA should remind people to be reasonable. Saving a seat should be tolerated. Mouthing off to a family who sits in your saved row bc otherwise kids scattered everywhere should not be tolerated by FA.

The problem I encountered that makes me say that single seat saving should remain prohibited in bulkhead and exit rows is 2 of us pay for priority boarding and head for the bulkhead that was the specific reason we paid for the priority boarding. We find a guy who was in front of our A5 boarding pass in the bulkhead window saving the middle seat. His companion was either high B or C boarding.

If they wanted the bulkhead the companion should have paid for priority boarding.

The seat saver was pissed, and almost got tossed off the airplane.

If there were butts in the seats we would have moved to the next row and let him keep the seat but this was the bulkhead we paid extra for to try and get.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
The problem I encountered that makes me say that single seat saving should remain prohibited in bulkhead and exit rows is 2 of us pay for priority boarding and head for the bulkhead that was the specific reason we paid for the priority boarding. We find a guy who was in front of our A5 boarding pass in the bulkhead window saving the middle seat. His companion was either high B or C boarding.

If they wanted the bulkhead the companion should have paid for priority boarding.

The seat saver was pissed, and almost got tossed off the airplane.

If there were butts in the seats we would have moved to the next row and let him keep the seat but this was the bulkhead we paid extra for to try and get.
If I was in that guy's position I would have moved to the middle and offered the window/aisle if someone objected to me saving seats. I did this once and the couple moved on as they wanted to sit together.

Last edited by elevatorgeek; Jun 5, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
If I was in that guy's position I would have moved to the middle and offered the window/aisle if someone objected to me saving seats. I did this once and the couple moved on as they wanted to sit together.
Please stop flying SWA and take your passive-aggressiveness elsewhere. The rest of us civil people would really appreciate it. @:-)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:26 pm

You would have lost on this trip then. We would have called your bluff.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Please stop flying SWA and take your passive-aggressiveness elsewhere. The rest of us civil people would really appreciate it. @:-)
I think he was replying from his safe space.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
You would have lost on this trip then. We would have called your bluff.
I would have sat there the entire flight. I was prepared to then as well.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Glad it worked for you once. But who knows what may happen next time.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Glad it worked for you once. But who knows what may happen next time.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SWA should sell "seat saved" cards for $25. It's basically another boarding pass, with the date, flight number, and city pair on it. You can buy as many as you want at the gate. Cash/credit card only, not refundable. You board the plane and pick a seat for yourself and place your seat saved card(s) on all the seats you want to save. You can save the first 5 rows of the plane if you want. Those seats are unavailable to other passengers who board after you, until the passenger count reaches the point where those seats need to be taken, at which point your "saved seat" is gone, so it's a gamble for you. Prior to departure, the flight attendants will collect all "saved seat" cards and toss them in the trash. SWA thanks you for the $25 per, and no one has to argue over this childish behavior. Win-win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.