Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 7:32 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
[QUOTE=Allan38103;28325443]
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
The FA then said that passengers were free to sit in any open seat./QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Just delete the part about how you got to the airport early and paid extra, etc. No one cares.
Well, then maybe I should solicit for some more posters who do care.............

Well in the context that I spent the extra time and money to get a better chance at a bulkhead row and this guy was trying to reserve a seat to get it without all of that puts his actions into more of the jerk territory.......
Old May 17, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: none
[QUOTE=SpaceCoastBill;28325832]
Originally Posted by Allan38103

Well, then maybe I should solicit for some more posters who do care.............

Well in the context that I spent the extra time and money to get a better chance at a bulkhead row and this guy was trying to reserve a seat to get it without all of that puts his actions into more of the jerk territory.......

To clarify, it shouldn't matter to anyone else why or how you purchased your ticket. You shouldn't feel like you have anything to explain.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
For some reason--even though I had booked three months out and bought EB--I ended up with a B25 the other day out of PHX. Between the pre-boards (all of whom were miraculously cured during the flight) and some families, by the time I got on there was one aisle seat left, and a guy said he was saving it for his wife. I asked if she were already on the plane and in the lav, and he said no. I sat down. He was very upset. About 30 pax later she showed up and they ended up moving. Not my monkey, not my zoo.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Annerk
by the time I got on there was one aisle seat left, and a guy said he was saving it for his wife. I asked if she were already on the plane and in the lav, and he said no. I sat down. He was very upset. About 30 pax later she showed up and they ended up moving. Not my monkey, not my zoo.
Ha, so you had to get up to let him out when they moved? Pretty awkward! How did that work exactly, did you get up in such a manner that it blocked her from quickly stealing your aisle seat?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Marko123
Ha, so you had to get up to let him out when they moved? Pretty awkward! How did that work exactly, did you get up in such a manner that it blocked her from quickly stealing your aisle seat?
Musical chairs!!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:58 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Annerk
For some reason--even though I had booked three months out and bought EB--I ended up with a B25 the other day out of PHX. Between the pre-boards (all of whom were miraculously cured during the flight) and some families, by the time I got on there was one aisle seat left, and a guy said he was saving it for his wife. I asked if she were already on the plane and in the lav, and he said no. I sat down. He was very upset. About 30 pax later she showed up and they ended up moving. Not my monkey, not my zoo.
I would love to see some reporter compare the amount of preboards to the amount of able bodied people at the end of Southwest flights.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I don't mind seat savers for a single companion. It's the row hoarders that bug me. Once a guy was saving two rows. My kids would've been scattered all over the plane if we hadn't just sat in his "saved" extra row. When his friends boarded, he and they were peeved at me. But that's the luck of the draw. I do think FA should remind people to be reasonable. Saving a seat should be tolerated. Mouthing off to a family who sits in your saved row bc otherwise kids scattered everywhere should not be tolerated by FA.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:22 pm

I'm a jerk who attempts to save an exit row seat. Hopefully there's a row with the window taken, but regardless, I take the aisle and put my jacket in the middle seat. In an empty row, I pray a solo passenger asks for the window quickly, it makes my task easier. If asked, I say the seat is saved for my SO. If pressed, I remove the jacket and allow them to sit - I know I frown but I don't say anything. Then my (significantly larger than me) SO arrives, he takes my seat, and I grab a window (my actual preference) in a nearby row. I take a bit of joy knowing they aren't nearly as happy with that middle seat as I would have been.

It is rare that it comes to that - even in an exit row, middle seats aren't that desirable. We check him in as close to T-24 as possible and he's always onboard with time for me to grab a window seat.

I don't feel too jerklike about it, but it appears I am. I don't have any real intentions of changing the plan.

Last edited by synergistic; May 18, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 10:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by synergistic
If pressed, I remove the jacket and allow them to sit
That's approximately the edge of reasonableness. The people who won't yield the seat are the transgressors, IMHO. You are complying with common sense that if that seat is important to the person who gets there before the companion, it should be first come first seated.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:39 am

Just board with the higher bording card and tell the gate agent you want to sit together and not reserve an open seat. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness or you could ask if your companon can board early with you so as to sit together.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
you could ask if your companon can board early with you so as to sit together.
Poor advice and should be avoided. Why would you suggest asking the GA to ignore the boarding order rules?
Old May 19, 2017, 11:30 am

I'm a jerk who attempts to save an exit row seat. Hopefully there's a row with the window taken, but regardless, I take the aisle and put my jacket in the middle seat. In an empty row, I pray a solo passenger asks for the window quickly, it makes my task easier. If asked, I say the seat is saved for my SO. If pressed, I remove the jacket and allow them to sit - I know I frown but I don't say anything. Then my (significantly larger than me) SO arrives, he takes my seat, and I grab a window (my actual preference) in a nearby row. I take a bit of joy knowing they aren't nearly as happy with that middle seat as I would have been.

It is rare that it comes to that - even in an exit row, middle seats aren't that desirable. We check him in as close to T-24 as possible and he's always onboard with time for me to grab a window seat.

I don't feel too jerklike about it, but it appears I am. I don't have any real intentions of changing the plan.
Why doesn't the SO just board first and get the seat they want?
Old May 19, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Why doesn't the SO just board first and get the seat they want?
I feel silly - is that an option? I'm A-List and as such get much better boarding position than him. If I'd thought we could trade boarding passes, we'd have been doing so all along. He would definitely have fewer people ask for the middle seat than I... The idea of us trading passes had literally never occurred to me, as it's tied to my name. Is that something a gate agent can process for us?

Obviously, we'd prefer to sit together, but him ending up with extra legroom is the priority for us. I try to make both happen but don't force the issue - either way he gets his preferred seat and I get something that works for me. Most of the time I end up getting to sleep on his shoulder, but occasionally I end up leaning against a window instead.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I feel silly - is that an option? I'm A-List and as such get much better boarding position than him. If I'd thought we could trade boarding passes, we'd have been doing so all along. He would definitely have fewer people ask for the middle seat than I... The idea of us trading passes had literally never occurred to me, as it's tied to my name. Is that something a gate agent can process for us?

Obviously, we'd prefer to sit together, but him ending up with extra legroom is the priority for us. I try to make both happen but don't force the issue - either way he gets his preferred seat and I get something that works for me. Most of the time I end up getting to sleep on his shoulder, but occasionally I end up leaning against a window instead.
You may be able to delete both BPs and then check him in first and he would get your boarding position, like what happens with SEB. High likelihood you'd lose the position though as someone else could check in before you re-checked in.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Whatever you do, don't trade boarding passes. That's a good way to get in loads of trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.