Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monitoring for price changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Monitoring for price changes

Is there any way to monitor a SW flight for fare changes? I'm familiar with Google flights, Kayak, and some other services that alert on fare changes, but only for other airlines. Granted, SW usually has similar fares so monitoring the route in general helps. However, I'd really like to know when the fare changes for a specific flight. Can it be done (without building my own bot)?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Tripit Pro
It saves me several hundred dollars a year on rebooked WN flights.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Drummer
Tripit Pro
Another poster used to say this too, but I recall him saying it had its limits and usefulness outside of AT & BS fares. Can it be used for WGA?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I subscribe to sale fare emails from JetBlue and Virgin America. Southwest usually matches those fares with a stealth sale.

Google Flights will also track the lowest fare offered by other carriers, but it tends to miss the best Southwest fares.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Drummer
Tripit Pro
Thanks - great tip. We get Tripit Pro free at work, so I just started using it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:56 pm

Not the answer you are looking for....but my morning routine usually involves a cup of coffee and 10 minutes of zombie time in front of a computer waking up.

When I have a trip planned, I spend a minute or two checking flight and rental car cost.

By the time I've had a few sips, the deed is done.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by joshua362
Another poster used to say this too, but I recall him saying it had its limits and usefulness outside of AT & BS fares. Can it be used for WGA?
I fly pretty much exclusively on WGA fares and Tripit Pro tracks the fares and alerts me to drops. As I mentioned, it has saved me hundreds of dollars.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mdurette
Not the answer you are looking for....but my morning routine usually involves a cup of coffee and 10 minutes of zombie time in front of a computer waking up.

When I have a trip planned, I spend a minute or two checking flight and rental car cost.

By the time I've had a few sips, the deed is done.
Great tip on checking and rechecking the rental car cost. Lots of variability there! As a Costco member I've found great rates at costcotravel.com.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
I wish Tripit would track hotel and rental car pricing. It seems to work well with airfares. Of course I don't know if it ever missed me any savings though.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spchester
I wish Tripit would track hotel and rental car pricing. It seems to work well with airfares. Of course I don't know if it ever missed me any savings though.
Some people swear by Autoslash for rental cars.

Not sure about hotels. Surely someone has tried doing this.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Some people swear by Autoslash for rental cars.

Not sure about hotels. Surely someone has tried doing this.
Hotel rebooking services include https://www.tingo.com/ and https://dreamcheaper.com/ - my issue with them is that they'll use OTAs, which doesn't help with building elite status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.