Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

If I book our stay using the TP hotel cert within 12 months do I still have to extend the cert if the dates I'm staying fall outside the original 12 month period from when the TP hotel cert was issued ?

Example, my wife will get her TP in March 2017 and come December 2017 she can book the hotel nights using the TP cert but we won't make the actual stay until December 2018.

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by flyer4512
If I book our stay using the TP hotel cert within 12 months do I still have to extend the cert if the dates I'm staying fall outside the original 12 month period from when the TP hotel cert was issued ?

Example, my wife will get her TP in March 2017 and come December 2017 she can book the hotel nights using the TP cert but we won't make the actual stay until December 2018.

Thanks
No need to extend if you book in Dec 17 for a stay Dec 18. (edit: I can't confirm this after reading MR thread, you might have to extend in order to book)

Which is why extending it a year essentially makes it good for nearly three years.

Last edited by bon95; Jan 6, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bon95
No need to extend if you book in Dec 17 for a stay Dec 18.

Which is why extending it a year essentially makes it good for nearly three years.
Thanks, that may make me change my plans............the TP hotel cert being good for 3 years

Are you speaking from experience on this ?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Thanks, that may make me change my plans............the TP hotel cert being good for 3 years

Are you speaking from experience on this ?
I've never personally booked more than two years out. I got my info from this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-packages.html

edit: I can't confirm the three years. Sounds like best bet is to use within two years (requesting extension as close to one year without going over as possible).

Last edited by bon95; Jan 6, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:45 pm

Can someone double check my homework and make sure this will work before I do it?

I have 130,000 Chase Ultimate reward points (got from CSR). I'm going to transfer them to Marriott.

Then I'm going to buy 30,000 SPG points and transfer to Marriott points, which will equal 90,000 points for a total of 220,000 points with Marriott. That will cost $1050

Then I'm going to buy 50,000 Marriott points (for $6XX) which will bring me to 270,000 Marriott points which I'll then redeem for the 7 night/120,000 Southwest point vacation package, which will yield me companion pass, 7 nights with Marriott, and 120,000 rapid rewards points.

Does all that sound right??

I already have a SPG amex and I'm over 5/24 so additional credit card bonuses are out I think...

Also, with the Marriott vacation package, do you have to use the full 7 nights all in one stay or can you break it up (like 3 nights here, and then 4 nights there)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mdurette
It will either go unused or I will bump it up later to a category 7 or 8 for use.
How do you do this and are the amount of points still the same? Would it make sense to just get the Cat 1-5 and upgrade later to a higher category if needed?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
No offense, but if you were shooting for a companion pass, you, you should have had a better game plan.
All good, I appreciate the info. I wasn't planning on CP per say, just trying to see if I could take advantage of the extended hotel transfer loophole. I know I am late to the party.

Have you ever had the SPG personal and/0r Business cards ?

How about the Marriott Business card ? The Marriott Business does not count under 5/24

Those 3 cards could get you very close to 270K Marriott
Good idea! I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by Andre141
Can someone double check my homework and make sure this will work before I do it?

I have 130,000 Chase Ultimate reward points (got from CSR). I'm going to transfer them to Marriott.

Then I'm going to buy 30,000 SPG points and transfer to Marriott points, which will equal 90,000 points for a total of 220,000 points with Marriott. That will cost $1050

Then I'm going to buy 50,000 Marriott points (for $6XX) which will bring me to 270,000 Marriott points which I'll then redeem for the 7 night/120,000 Southwest point vacation package, which will yield me companion pass, 7 nights with Marriott, and 120,000 rapid rewards points.

Does all that sound right??

I already have a SPG amex and I'm over 5/24 so additional credit card bonuses are out I think...

Also, with the Marriott vacation package, do you have to use the full 7 nights all in one stay or can you break it up (like 3 nights here, and then 4 nights there)
I also would be interested in this idea as well.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:45 pm

This would be a very poor use of Chase UR points. You'll be a little better off going the Hyatt route (but still not a great use of UR points in any event).

No, you can't break up the 7 nights. The stay must be consecutive (possibly with additional paid days in-between).
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
This would be a very poor use of Chase UR points. You'll be a little better off going the Hyatt route (but still not a great use of UR points in any event).

No, you can't break up the 7 nights. The stay must be consecutive (possibly with additional paid days in-between).
Thanks. I'm fine with using the UR points this way. The only other way I use them is to transfer them directly to RR for flights anyway and since I'll still get the 120,000 RR points once all is said and done, I'll still walk away even.

Just making sure my strategy will work.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tth6133

I have heard that sometimes you can talk the hotel into it. Or get two rooms, one for 3 and one for 4. But it is not standard.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:50 pm

I did not take advantage, but I did get someone at a small town courtyard to agree to allowing me to book three weekends instead of one week. Individual hotels apparently have a lot of leeway. Corporate has none - which I think means you have NO chance of splitting it between hotels. If two stays at one hotel is appealing, it's worth a try.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
My status updated today. I thought I would post since I didn't see anyone else confirming the transfer counted for CP yet.

*edit* I guess people posted in other threads, so it's old news.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:07 pm

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice here.

I have 245k Marriott points and 100k Chase UR points. Was looking into planning a trip already and had CP in previous years, but hadn't thought about shooting for it again.

Would it make sense to transfer the UR points to Marriott and shoot for a cat 8 or cat 9 travel package with 120k points? That's all I would need for CP, correct?

Would this be bad value on the UR points?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by edlin303
My status updated today. I thought I would post since I didn't see anyone else confirming the transfer counted for CP yet.

*edit* I guess people posted in other threads, so it's old news.
Thanks for posting. When did your points post, and did the CP status get updated immediately? My points posted on Jan 4th but no CP yet.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by worldtraveler1508
Thanks for posting. When did your points post, and did the CP status get updated immediately? My points posted on Jan 4th but no CP yet.
So your CP earning meter is still empty? You may have gotten caught in the loophole/timeframe where CP-earning was turned off for partner redemption. I would probably call at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.