Transferring SW miles after death

Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Transferring SW miles after death

Has anyone had any experience in transferring miles after the death of the primary account holder? My husband passed away in January. American Airlines transferred his miles to me with no problem - in fact, the same day I requested the transfer. But I have heard many different answers about SW's policy. Any advice appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
Has anyone had any experience in transferring miles after the death of the primary account holder? My husband passed away in January. American Airlines transferred his miles to me with no problem - in fact, the same day I requested the transfer. But I have heard many different answers about SW's policy. Any advice appreciated.
I can only suggest calling Dallas and asking. I'd do it soon, the longer you wait the less likely they are to be understanding. That also might cause problems.

On the other hand.

According to the T&C

Points may not be transferred to a Member's estate or as part of a settlement, inheritance, or will. In the event of a Member’s death, his/her account will become inactive after 24 months from the last earning date (unless the account is requested to be closed) and points will be unavailable for use.
It appears if you have access to the account (or can arrange it) you can use the points or possibly transfer them to another account (usually for a fee). If you don't tell them they are unlikely to know the member passed away. The 24 months expiration indicates there is no special status and if points could be added the account could be kept active indefinitely, until the points could be used.

If there is a Southwest Credit Card, it may remain active indefinately, I know my MIL used credt cards in her husbands name for years.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Nov 25, 2016 at 9:15 am
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sorry about your loss.

From the T&C:

"Points may not be transferred to a Member's estate or as part of a settlement, inheritance, or will. In the event of a Member’s death, his/her account will become inactive after 24 months from the last earning date (unless the account is requested to be closed) and points will be unavailable for use."

As usual with Southwest this is a bit vague, but if the account is active for 24 months, presumably you can spend down the balance. Maybe even earn to it.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you know the password to the account, I'd suggest using the miles fast. This assumes that there was some fairly recent account activity and that Southwest didn't close the account as a result of you contacting them about transferring the miles.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately, like much of the advice you get, it's from people who can't be bothered to have read one sentence in the t&c. That sentence is crystal clear and is not particualrly different than AA's. Presuming that you had the facts to justify an AA transfer, you should have the facts to justify a WN transfer as well.

I don't know what AA required of you, but just have that handy for WN and don't offer more than is requested.

As to emptying accounts after death, you can do that with bank accounts, their houses and other property before folks catch wind of the death. But, it's sort of a bad way to go about things.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Unfortunately, like much of the advice you get, it's from people who can't be bothered to have read one sentence in the t&c. That sentence is crystal clear and is not particualrly different than AA's. Presuming that you had the facts to justify an AA transfer, you should have the facts to justify a WN transfer as well.
Please enlighten us.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
AA says they don't allow transfer on death but they do. They email you a form and you sign it, scan it, and email it back with a scan of the death certificate. No charge and the miles are moved pronto at no cost. I've only done this with a tiny account, so I don't know if they would be as accommodated with a large balance.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by nsx
AA says they don't allow transfer on death but they do. They email you a form and you sign it, scan it, and email it back with a scan of the death certificate. No charge and the miles are moved pronto at no cost. I've only done this with a tiny account, so I don't know if they would be as accommodated with a large balance.
That's entirely true. Here is the quote from the AAdvantage T&C:

Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors or assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor status, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. Mileage credit is transferable between AAdvantage accounts when offered by American Airlines online, with the ShareMiles program. The member must adhere to the rules and limitations of the ShareMiles program.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Nov 25, 2016 at 10:44 am
Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Yes, American was great about transferring a large balance of points. I called one morning and had the points by that evening. Apparently Southwest used to allow transfers because at some point in the last year, I found a form online (not on their site) to transfer miles. I don't want to call because I don't want to trigger anything - he had a very large balance of points and I don't want to lose them.

Maybe the easiest thing to keep the account active would be to open a SWA credit card (I closed his) and earn additional miles. But now my question is: if the credit card is in my name, will can I have the points added to his rewards account?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that you had the facts to justify an AA transfer, you should have the facts to justify a WN transfer as well.
Blindingly obvious that's not how it works.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
Yes, American was great about transferring a large balance of points. I called one morning and had the points by that evening. Apparently Southwest used to allow transfers because at some point in the last year, I found a form online (not on their site) to transfer miles. I don't want to call because I don't want to trigger anything - he had a very large balance of points and I don't want to lose them.

Maybe the easiest thing to keep the account active would be to open a SWA credit card (I closed his) and earn additional miles. But now my question is: if the credit card is in my name, will can I have the points added to his rewards account?
Unless you get positive confirmation WN will bless a transfer, I would just KISS. Was the online form just their normal process for anyone to transfer for a steep fee?

Burn the points as needed. Buy a magazine sub or do something else to keep the account active if time becomes a factor. Often "doing it the right way" incurs more red tape, time and hassles than its worth. Real Estate and bank accounts are one thing, piles of "funny money" are just that.

The new credit card shouldn't work because the names don't match. If you are interested in collecting more, open in your own name. But it sounds like you have too many points already?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:47 am

The big question is: do you have access to his account so you could use his points to book travel for yourself, or to his email to get a password reset? If you aren't ready to book travel now, you could make a small purchase through the shopping portal to extend the point expiration.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Oooops, that is a HUGE question. I (mistakenly) thought that was the case. Otherwise you'll be at their mercy making this all moot.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:36 am

Im a little surprised no one with recent experiance has not come along and commented.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:17 pm

Also, what kind of ID verification is there if one books an award by phone?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.