Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sharing Alist Preferred login for wifi on flight that I'm not on.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

A friend, whom I trust with my login info, asked to use my Alist Preferred login on his flight to access the free wifi. Has anyone had experience with this? Does SW know that I'm not on the flight when he logs on to the wifi? A FA friend insists that they don't and that I can safely share my login but wanted to see if anyone has ever experienced this and if there were any consequences.

Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
Seriously? Even if you could get away with it, why do you want to be an accomplice in stealing?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Damn. I wanted to be first with the "poaching wifi is stealing!" response.

Kidding... I suspect the validation process is not that sophisticated. I don't think I've ever given a friend my FFP login information, but if you really trust this friend, it will probably work.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:25 pm

This was discussed a while ago and we came to no conclusion as to whether it would work on a flight without the passenger on the manifest. We did determine that, at least at that time, you could log multiple devices into one account on the same plane.

It is entirely possible security has been enhanced in the mean time.

I have not heard of any retaliation for misuse of the wifi (if it does work) but you run a risk of Southwest stripping you of your status and your points if discovered.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Globallist
It will work. 100 percent. I use my friends A+ account about 10 times a year
When you do login, it says how many devices are using it. I usually have 2
Just remember sharing your login, you share all your SWA acct info I COULD book free flights on my Frieds Acct sitting at 112.000 points lol
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
WN IT is currently not smart enough in matching of A+ login and passenger manifest and no repercussions have ever been reported so far. I am sure that there is a violation of terms and conditions somewhere but doubt it has been a serious problem worth pursuing as very few are probably willing to give up their account info because as mentioned above you are giving full access to your whole online account.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I have a coworker who ran into the 4 device limit cap (he didn't know the limit at that time). He just switched to using his wife's login (not on the flight) for the other devices his group was using.

I think they were only using a few devices but it proves that this worked only a few months ago.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Thinks you all are overreacting. Took a flight once with my 2 kids and logged them in ok with iPhones. Now when they fly alone (on my points no less) they use it OK, maybe 6 times a year combined. Never crossed my mind it was wrong or stealing. The wifi is useless except for texting anyway...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by ACEDAD
Seriously? Even if you could get away with it, why do you want to be an accomplice in stealing?
I don't even know how to respond. Stealing a FREE benefit? Are you kidding me?

I share mine all the time. With coworkers, my companion, etc. Nothing has ever happened. I don't do anything egregious, but am not afraid to share the LUV. Often my companion and I will be on four devices at the same time: 2 laptops + 2 iPhones. It's slow as always, but it still works.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you give your extra Marriott free breakfasts to people you meet on the elevator or even the homeless?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Lawyers make a fortune because there are at least 3 sides to every argument.

Bringing in the homeless arguable costs Marriott incremental money plus the ick factor while another device on a bad system not so much!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you give your extra Marriott free breakfasts to people you meet on the elevator
Well...yes I do occasionally, if I meet a family that may find it helpful. What's your point?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Lawyers make a fortune because there are at least 3 sides to every argument.

Bringing in the homeless arguable costs Marriott incremental money plus the ick factor while another device on a bad system not so much!
You could make the argument a person using it draws bandwidth that could otherwise be used for all the paying passengers slowing theirs down somewhat and causing them not to buy it on a future flight.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you give your extra Marriott free breakfasts to people you meet on the elevator or even the homeless?

Why yes, I'd be much more likely to give someone my free Plat breakfast at a Marriott, than I would share my login and password to my Rapid Rewards account. The latter requires much more trust.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, SWA, WJA, National, Marriott
I used a coworkers for my first year on SW. Always worked regardless if he was on the flight or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.