Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What to do with expiring Southwest Vouchers???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, delta

I have a month until my southwest vouchers expire ($600) worth, and dont have any trips between now and then. Is there a way to extend them? The SW site states that sold or bartered vouchers are voided, so I'm not sure of the feasibility of those routes.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ohnodapopo
I have a month until my southwest vouchers expire ($600) worth, and dont have any trips between now and then. Is there a way to extend them? The SW site states that sold or bartered vouchers are voided, so I'm not sure of the feasibility of those routes.
Normally after they expire you can extend them for 6 months for $100 per voucher.

Or you can reserve for other people through Craigslist (for example) no problem.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, delta
Is there some methodology to CL to ensure I dont get shafted? Im thinking cash payment and in person booking at a cafe. What are your thoughts?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ohnodapopo
Is there some methodology to CL to ensure I dont get shafted? Im thinking cash payment and in person booking at a cafe. What are your thoughts?
That would be my preference if I ever had this situation, but I would try to find a friend or family member first.

Remember that the other guy is at more risk of getting hosed than you, at least until he books with the funds.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:14 pm

be careful posting on CL - technically that can invalidate the voucher, and it has been done before if the airline crawls over it

Last edited by nsx; Oct 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
If you have no chance of getting any money out of them, donate them to a high school debate (or other) team that travels for competition. They will definitely be able to use the vouchers. You should be able to get them to write you a donation receipt and write off the contribution. Depending on your tax bracket, that could be valuable.

If you want to do this and do not have ideas for who to donate to, PM me and I can put you in touch with a team in your area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.