Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B12 on EarlyBird. How normal is this?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:21 am

Every few years I forget how much I despise the boarding process on Southwest and book a flight with them. You've just reminded me what I have to "look forward" to flying BUR-SFO next month. At least it's short!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by princeville
Every few years I forget how much I despise the boarding process on Southwest and book a flight with them. You've just reminded me what I have to "look forward" to flying BUR-SFO next month. At least it's short!
If you fully understand the nuances, do what you have to before and arrive in time to partake in it, it actually can work to your advantage. But you have to be savvy.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
If you fully understand the nuances, do what you have to before and arrive in time to partake in it, it actually can work to your advantage. But you have to be savvy.
Yes, I always check in at T-24 and have always been able to get a window seat and sit with my travel companions, but I'd really prefer to just know I have a seat reserved for me.

I actually think the current process is a huge improvement over flying them in the mid-90s when you needed to start lining up at least two hours before the flight to get a decent seat and while standing for two hours, watching people walk up to the gate with no difficulty, see the line winding down the terminal and "suddenly" need a wheelchair to board. And watching people argue about their place in line. It really brings out the worst in people. I didn't fly them for several years after a few of those flights and was happy to pay more for an airline with assigned seats. But every now and then they are the most convenient option. I know many people that absolutely love SW. I'm just bad about carrying grudges.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I've gotten B11/B12 multiple times flying DAL-BWI at peak time with EBCI. Still got an aisle or window around the middle of the 737-700.

I tend to book my tickets 1-3 weeks in advance, which is unfortunate. At least I'm finally A-List.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising
Fares have dropped just a little for each segment, but we chose not to re-price our tickets, assuming (hoping) that keeps us a bit higher on the boarding list.
Refaring should not affect your EBCI position.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Refaring should not affect your EBCI position.
I could be totally off on this, but my understanding is that there are certain priorities that impact your EBCI boarding position, one of them being how far in advance you booked and another being your fare. Since we booked 6 months out and the fare has only gone down by a few dollars each way, I figured I was better off not refaring. My niece is on the same trip and she did rebook hers for a $67 credit that she might actually use.

If I must fly Southwest, what's most important to me is getting an aisle seat.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The big difference between the Early Bird fee and a seat assignment fee on Spirit or Frontier (or preferred seats on legacies, or Y+ seats) is that you don't know what you'll get. So much for Transfarency.
EXACTLY! We've flown to Vegas four times in just over a year, twice on Frontier (paid for aisle seats), once on JetBlue (paid $75pp each way for EMS) and once on Southwest (paid EBCI and got aisle seats.)

I'll take a sure thing any day.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
I'd be more pissed to board before families and then have a family with a bunch of screaming brats sit next to you. At least if you board after them you can choose a seat far away. Last time I flew I was assigned A27 and ended up changing seats because of this. And if your only concern is an aisle seat, check in at T24. I do this every time and not once did I come close to not getting an aisle seat.
I'm a parent and grandparent and I'm fine with sitting near kids. Seat kicking bothers my husband but doesn't phase me.

I'm claustrophobic and must have an aisle seat. My husband is 6'4" with LONG legs and big feet so he prefers an exit row - or takes the aisle across from me because his knees won't fit behind a seat, so he can sit at a bit of an angle. (Damn friggin' airlines and their sardine seating.)

We're particular so it's better to get on early and calculate what's to our best advantage.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I could be totally off on this, but my understanding is that there are certain priorities that impact your EBCI boarding position, one of them being how far in advance you booked and another being your fare. Since we booked 6 months out and the fare has only gone down by a few dollars each way, I figured I was better off not refaring. My niece is on the same trip and she did rebook hers for a $67 credit that she might actually use.

If I must fly Southwest, what's most important to me is getting an aisle seat.
Full fare (refundable) has priority over WGA (nonrefundable) fares. I don't think there are any fare-based priorities within WGA.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Full fare (refundable) has priority over WGA (nonrefundable) fares. I don't think there are any fare-based priorities within WGA.
Officially, WN says that EBCI + Anytime will be given priority over EBCI + "other fare types." This likely refers to WGA, but it's unclear if additional refundable fare types (such as Senior) are given priority as well, or are lumped in with WGA in the "other fare types."

Otherwise, the fare paid has no bearing on EBCI position.

Positions are based on the time stamp of the EBCI purchase. Refaring doesn't change that. My experience verifies this, as long as the specific flight number doesn't change. And possibly even if it does. Results seem to support that theory, but I have a limited data set so it may be inconclusive.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nsx
Why anyone would purchase Anytime + EBCI is beyond me (unless BS is sold out), especially with the price increase. The difference to BS can be as low as $16, and comes with extra benefits.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
...The first time I get a "B" boarding pass with EBCI will be the last time I fly Southwest....
Get ready...it's happened to me, with a ~ B-25 Early Bird, and it's likely to hit everyone at some time or another.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
Why anyone would purchase Anytime + EBCI is beyond me (unless BS is sold out), especially with the price increase. The difference to BS can be as low as $16, and comes with extra benefits.
I agree 1000%. If you are buying Anytime fare, the upcharge for a Business Select is minimal and the extra points, guaranteed 1-15 boarding and free drink are more than worth it. Buying EBI on an Anytime is throwing money away
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Get ready...it's happened to me, with a ~ B-25 Early Bird, and it's likely to hit everyone at some time or another.
I read of it quite often now on Southwest's Facebook page...and passengers are NOT happy about it. Our most frequent Southwest flight is Orlando to Las Vegas because they still have non-stops. But recently JetBlue began offering that itinerary (with a stop) so when I get a "B" with EBCI, that's where I'll go!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:21 pm

A "B" position with EBCI is fairly common now. I suspect we'll see another price increase soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.