Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Southwest Hotels? Earn tons of RR points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat

Just noticed that Southwest Hotels has completely been revamped. I've used it a few times in the past and earned 150 points. This looks like its always at least 1 point per dollar with some options being incredibly large. Does anyone know if these points count toward companion pass??
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: WN A-, CP
Nice find. The point values seem, for the ones that are large at least, to line up with what I've earned from Rocketmiles on past trips. For example, 3-4 nights at a nice property yields ~10k points per night in San Francisco.

In my experience the points from Rocketmiles count towards CP, but not A-List. It would be awesome if these were the same way!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:09 pm

I believe you can. This was posted on VFTW earlier this week. h/t to original source. However, it looks like you can earn more RR from using Rocketmiles, from the random search I did in DC.

http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.co...904.1391626564

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jan 25, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Wow. This is huge if the points count towards CP.

For my business trip next week, points values seem to be the same as Rocketmiles for every hotel in the area. However, the site is just a re-branded Booking.com and the prices seem to be exactly the same as on Booking. Rocketmiles usually bakes in a higher "taxes & fees" so it appears to be Rocketmiles points at Booking.com prices. Lower prices than Rocketmiles across the board for this sample size.

I'm going to give this a go for next week to see if it counts towards CP...fingers crossed.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: WN A-, CP
Originally Posted by konems
I'm going to give this a go for next week to see if it counts towards CP...fingers crossed.
Please update and reply back! It could definitely prove to be a nice value play for business bookings.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:20 pm

So I can confirm a few things:

- The points do count towards CP
- The points are driven by the same engine as Rocketmiles - the receipt you get is identical (with the "RTI*hotelname" charge on your CC bill) with one key difference: the receipt also lists the amount of points you earn on the stay.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by konems
So I can confirm a few things:

- The points do count towards CP
- The points are driven by the same engine as Rocketmiles - the receipt you get is identical (with the "RTI*hotelname" charge on your CC bill) with one key difference: the receipt also lists the amount of points you earn on the stay.
I can confirm this as well. Just got back from Cancun last month and earned 10,000 points. The all-in price I paid was cheaper than Rocketmiles even though the amount of points awarded was the same. The all-inn price was also comparable to other booking sites.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is a great option for properties where elite status at the hotel doesn't matter. The value you could pull in terms of RR points far exceeds the typical value that you'd get in hotel points. The catch is that you're checking into the hotel essentially as a non-elite, but if it's a Holiday Inn Express or a Residence Inn, who cares?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:41 pm

Interesting... Just saw a local hotel (DAB) for $199 and 4000 points. Thought those were good numbers, but closed the tab. Went to show someone else about 30 minutes later, it said 5000RR for $199.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Any idea if these bookings will comply with the Best Price Guarantee that booking.com has (since it is run by booking.com)? Looking at an AI resort near PUJ and the price via Southwest is higher, but offers 60k RR pts! If I could price match it down to a better rate advertised elsewhere, it would make it one heck of a deal (over 1/2 of a CP requal)

Also, I noticed some interesting behavior on the points listed. Initially, the amount listed might be very low and then the screen will refresh to a higher amount. And in fact, if you click thru to the hotel before that refresh occurs, the lower point amount will show. But if you go back to the search page and click again after the refresh, the higher amount will appear. In my case, it was a huge difference - 3485 vs 60k!!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Also, I noticed some interesting behavior on the points listed. Initially, the amount listed might be very low and then the screen will refresh to a higher amount. And in fact, if you click thru to the hotel before that refresh occurs, the lower point amount will show. But if you go back to the search page and click again after the refresh, the higher amount will appear. In my case, it was a huge difference - 3485 vs 60k!!
I notice that a few of them change day-by-day. What concerns me, however, is the big points earners are always the most expensive properties in town. Sure, I'd like to earn 12,000 points but not if it means spending $987 to get it. I want to stay at the cheap place out by the Interstate, not some swanky spot downtown or by the beach. Unfortunately the cheap place is one point per dollar, and never seems to change. I miss my 600 points...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It would be great if someone more computer-savvy than I could scrape this info and get it out timely.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Points seems to be all over the board. I did see a stay in Aruba at the Grand Regency Hyatt was offering 24,000 points. This was for a 6 night stay (total cost $1450) Didn't shorten the time to see how short of a stay would yield 24K since I will never patronize Hyatt again after their gift card fiasco. Also saw some properties that were offering 11k but they were local places. I also noticed that they offer RR points for apartment rentals (but at a rate of 1 RR to $1)

edited to add, just went back and the Hyatt is down to 9k. Apparently they offer Daily Value deal and that was the 24K but was for only the one day.

And goodness playing with dates found a six night stay offering 29K for 1137 for 6 nights. Never heard of Caribbean Palm Resort but it has an 8.4/10 reviews.

My findings so far
1) used a sun-sat stay in May and June
2) didn't calculate point to dollar ratio to see best deal
3) didn't find any rhyme or reason except generally no high bonuses for SPG or Marriott properties. Lot of independent, Hyatt regency, and kimptons had bonuses

Highest total points 60k. NYC property that charged 6600 for the stay (the pennisula) Also offering 60K a 4 seasons and a Biltmore in Miami area for 3300. Couple of 52K for 2500 in NYC as well

NYC see above
Boston 50K for 3300
Chicago 33K for 1500
Denver 36k for 1500
Minneapolis 21K for 1100
Miami see above

****BEST DEAL I found.
Kansas City 27k for $907. It would cost $742.50 to just buy 27K so you get a stay a nice hotel with free wifi, breakfast, free happy hour drinks etc for just another 150 more for the whole week (not sure if taxes are including in rate quoted so not taking that into account) I am really tempted to book this (816 hotel is the name)

Last edited by kklems; Feb 22, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:56 am

The "high point" hotels are from Rocketmiles' partnerships, which don't include Marriott or SPG but do include Hyatt, Hilton, and IHG (best I can tell anyway)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Any idea if these bookings will comply with the Best Price Guarantee that booking.com has (since it is run by booking.com)? Looking at an AI resort near PUJ and the price via Southwest is higher, but offers 60k RR pts! If I could price match it down to a better rate advertised elsewhere, it would make it one heck of a deal (over 1/2 of a CP requal)
It has shown up verbatim on the reservations I've made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.