Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another BS BS ticket.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SCtrojan
This weekend I had a trip where a woman pre-boarded. She then reserved 4 seats for her friends that boarded later. I was OK with it, since I was still in the 4th row or something, but still hate to see cheaters win.
Technically you could of grabbed the empty seat
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lougord99
Very frustrating.

Here is what I don't understand. Why would you pay over $300 for a 1-way fare on Southwest when there are 3 other airlines flying non-stop at around $160 for coach and $380 for first class on close-in flights? ( I checked for the day after tomorrow )
Free checked bags??
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by TomMM
Free checked bags??
Or no change fees. If you fly first class it includes free checked bags. American and Delta gives you three 70-lb free checked bags in F along with a 50% bonus on EQM's.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:52 pm

With that price differential you could check many bags and still come out ahead.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SCtrojan
This weekend I had a trip where a woman pre-boarded. She then reserved 4 seats for her friends that boarded later. I was OK with it, since I was still in the 4th row or something, but still hate to see cheaters win.
Good thing she didn't cheat then. She preboarded as allowed by WN and she saved seats, also allowed by WN.
Originally Posted by john398
Technically you could o̶f̶ have grabbed the empty seat
Depends on WN's definition of "available". If she saved the seat, it is no longer available. WN only says that you can sit in any available seat.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
If WN allows preboarders to save seats, does that apply to everyone who has a boarding pass number before their companions?

If that's the case why should I pay for EBCI for three passengers when travelling with my wife and daughter??? I've always been able to find a row of three seats when paying for EBCI. I may as well just pay for EBCI for myself and even if they end up with C passes just save them the other two seats.

I'm surprised people travelling with a spouse or kids with a low boarding pass number just don't have one of the people preboard and then save seats if they all have bad BP numbers.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
SW is renowned for its "miracle flights" Pre-Board in a wheelchair and Run off the plane at your destination. It is a miracle!!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
If WN allows preboarders to save seats, does that apply to everyone who has a boarding pass number before their companions?

If that's the case why should I pay for EBCI for three passengers when travelling with my wife and daughter??? I've always been able to find a row of three seats when paying for EBCI. I may as well just pay for EBCI for myself and even if they end up with C passes just save them the other two seats.

I'm surprised people travelling with a spouse or kids with a low boarding pass number just don't have one of the people preboard and then save seats if they all have bad BP numbers.
Yes, you are permitted to save as many seats as you like. You're only limited by how many bags, coats, etc. you have to throw over the seats and your desire to angrily bark at anyone who dares look at them funny. Buy 1 EBCI, scurry onboard and hoard 8 seats...the flight attendant will just stand there and watch you. Go ahead and save some nice, premium seats too: Southwest does not prohibit it.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Yes, you are permitted to save as many seats as you like. You're only limited by how many bags, coats, etc. you have to throw over the seats and your desire to angrily bark at anyone who dares look at them funny. Buy 1 EBCI, scurry onboard and hoard 8 seats...the flight attendant will just stand there and watch you. Go ahead and save some nice, premium seats too: Southwest does not prohibit it.
I would never do that and was kidding in my post. But I feel like a sucker now for being ethical and paying for EBCI for two to four people, depending on if I fly with one or both kiddos.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by pinniped
Also, don't forget that if someone DOES tell you a seat is saved, there's nothing to stop you from taking it anyway. Southwest does not prohibit that either.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I would never do that and was kidding in my post. But I feel like a sucker now for being ethical and paying for EBCI for two to four people, depending on if I fly with one or both kiddos.
I know...I'm kidding too, but it illustrates how ridiculous it is that WN has no clearly articulated policy about seat-saving.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
I never understood why

Someone in a wheel chair had to sit in a bulkhead. What's the advantage of them sitting in a bulkhead? The seats are just as narrow. Do wheelchair bound people tend to have longer legs? No. If the ADA was so concerned about people with disabilities having "special accomadations" then why isn't there regulations ensuring that the airlines seats were wider and spaced further apart. As so many here have pointed out, including the OP, there are far more "disabled" passengers than "special" seats to accomadate them.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Also, don't forget that if someone DOES tell you a seat is saved, there's nothing to stop you from taking it anyway. Southwest does not prohibit that either.
I think it's more like there's nothing stopping you from arguing with the seat-saver. WN simply says you can take any available seat. They don't say open seat. Depends on how you define available as WN doesn't define it. If we define it as open=available then what's to stop someone from taking a nice, open exit row aisle when the person stands up to go to the bathroom or get something out of the overhead?

Nothing really, right? So it just comes down to etiquette and the fact that most people don't want to argue. Occasionally though people will argue and you have to be careful that if the FA gets involved you don't know if one or both of the people are going to get kicked off the flight.
Originally Posted by Joe K.
Someone in a wheel chair had to sit in a bulkhead. What's the advantage of them sitting in a bulkhead? The seats are just as narrow. Do wheelchair bound people tend to have longer legs? No. If the ADA was so concerned about people with disabilities having "special accomadations" then why isn't there regulations ensuring that the airlines seats were wider and spaced further apart. As so many here have pointed out, including the OP, there are far more "disabled" passengers than "special" seats to accomadate them.
The advantage is that it's easier to get into and out of. The ADA doesn't apply on an aircraft. It's the ACAA. And what makes you think that people in a wheelchair need a wider seat or seats spaced further apart. If they are too big to fit in one seat, they'll just lift the armrest up. Just like any customer of size might do on WN. And WN doesn't even charge extra for the extra seat.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:34 pm

The fact that WN hasn't used the "blue sleeves" that the OP claims to have seen waving in years tells you all you need to know. BS story indeed.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camaross
The fact that WN hasn't used the "blue sleeves" that the OP claims to have seen waving in years tells you all you need to know. BS story indeed.
Not a BS story. The group approached from clear across the terminal and were waving *what I assumed was* a pre-board blue sleeve. Perhaps just a boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.