Wiki Posts
Search

COS = Father with small child?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

COS = Father with small child?

COS here. Two questions for the WN veterans:

1) It takes at least 10 minutes when I self-ID at the airport to get an extra seat. If I wait until I get to the gate, it has been closer to 20-30. Is this consistent with others' experiences?

2) Usually I allow extra time due at the airport due to #1 above. Yesterday I cut it close (got to the gate 35 minutes before departure). Due to the 30 minute "processing time" I ended up being the last one on board for a full flight (my extra seat was the only empty). The foreward FA called the aft FA and advised them that "two together" was needed. The aft FA got on the PA and asked for volunteers to make 2 seats together for "a father with a young child." I did not have a child with me.

The fwd FA told me to make my way aft and make contact with the rear FAs. When I got to the back, no volunteers... just two middles. I got kind of a shrug from the FA. I let him know that if they didn't have two together, that they were going to need to deny me boarding.

Fortunately, a passenger near the front seemed to figure out the COS situation and offered to move from her aisle seat to a middle.

This is the first time I've encountered the "father with a small child" tactic. Although I'm pretty confident in my COS-ness, it did did make me feel a bit awkward that the FA lied to 140 pax on my behalf. Is this SOP? Not looking to complain unless this starts to happen often, just curious of others' observations at this point.

FWIW... when the FA came around for beverages, I offered to pick up the tab for any drinks that the displaced pax wanted. He said that "he'd take care of it"
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Sounds like you started off having a rough day if you got to the gate that late.

First question, did you self-identify ahead of time by purchasing the extra seat using the middle initial X as the WN site recommends? Their policy is to refund you the extra seat even if the plane is sold out when you do, but it helps with their planning.

As for saying PAX and small child, it sounds nicer to say over the intercom than COS who needs two seats.

The policy is that you shoukd arrive in time to get your documentation ahead of time, then pre-board with a seat reserved document. This takes care of the problem.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:38 am

Yet another example of damned if you do, damned if you don't in the travel industry. Sometimes I think travel providers just can't win, no matter how hard they try; someone will always take offense at the slightest thing.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Algebralovr
Sounds like you started off having a rough day if you got to the gate that late.
My day was fine both before and after this happened. :-)

First question, did you self-identify ahead of time by purchasing the extra seat using the middle initial X as the WN site recommends? Their policy is to refund you the extra seat even if the plane is sold out when you do, but it helps with their planning.
No I did not. Southwest's policy contains no such recommendation. Either method is fine based on the customer's preference. In either case, you must see a GA to get a preboard document and a seat reserved ticket before boarding (which is the part that takes 10-30 minutes).

As for saying PAX and small child, it sounds nicer to say over the intercom than COS who needs two seats.
I understand the reasoning, I'm just trying to figure out if this is how they normally handle it. I can easily see someone getting upset if they gave up an aisle seat and no kid shows up.

The policy is that you shoukd arrive in time to get your documentation ahead of time, then pre-board with a seat reserved document. This takes care of the problem.
Let me guess.. you aren't a COS? If there is a delay in getting paperwork together, the GA will normally get a hold of the FA during A-group and have them reserve two seats together while they finish.

Another iteration of this that I've run into is a tight connection due to a delay, which puts me at my connecting gate during C group. So far, the one time this has happened, there were still two seats together.

As I stated above... not complaining, just looking for others' observations. :-)
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yet another example of damned if you do, damned if you don't in the travel industry. Sometimes I think travel providers just can't win, no matter how hard they try; someone will always take offense at the slightest thing.
Chill. Nobody got offended. Not complaint was made. Everyone was civil and lived happily ever after. It's just something that I haven't seen before and I'm asking what others' experiences are.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:11 pm

Since this was the aft FA who made the gaffe, it's possible he didn't understand what the two together were needed for before making the announcement. But his shrug and inability to help when you arrived there was unacceptable. Since this is the first time you've experienced something like this, I'd be the better man and let it pass.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smmrfld
You read offense in the OP?
I read curiosity and some concern that a passenger giving up a seat for a non existent child might get irritated if it turns out there is no child.
Surely you've read enough posts on FT about giving up your seat for others to confirm this is a real possibility.
And enough posts about COS's that NEVER do what the OP does, to afford him significant props for caring enough about his fellow travelers to bother with this. Even on WN, which is famous for enforcing the 2 seat rule, this rule is more evident in its breach than in its compliance.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Since this was the aft FA who made the gaffe, it's possible he didn't understand what the two together were needed for before making the announcement.
Good point.

But his shrug and inability to help when you arrived there was unacceptable. Since this is the first time you've experienced something like this, I'd be the better man and let it pass.
Agreed. And if the decision was to wait for the next flight, I was prepared to take it in stride. Overall, I'm very happy that WN offers this benefit and would not raise a rukus at the risk of this program becoming "too much of a hassle."

In any event, if this sort of thing happens again, I'll just ask the GA if it'd be possible to give the FA a heads-up about the COS who is on his way.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Since this was the aft FA who made the gaffe, it's possible he didn't understand what the two together were needed for before making the announcement.
That's what I'm thinking, I'd have to assume that at least 95% of the time it's a small child behind the "2 together" requirement
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sirdatary
No I did not. Southwest's policy contains no such recommendation. Either method is fine based on the customer's preference. In either case, you must see a GA to get a preboard document and a seat reserved ticket before boarding (which is the part that takes 10-30 minutes).
Not sure if you are playing semantics or just being dismissive. While WN might not use the word "recommendation" their policy certainly implies recommendation. So either you aren't familiar with what WN says on it's website and instead of being dismissive maybe check that out.

Or you're playing semantics just to be difficult. Why not help yourself and follow WN's recommendations/suggestions to make things go a little more smoothly at the gate. Plus it seems to address your exact situation and concern.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere
Not sure if you are playing semantics or just being dismissive. While WN might not use the word "recommendation" their policy certainly implies recommendation. So either you aren't familiar with what WN says on it's website and instead of being dismissive maybe check that out.

Or you're playing semantics just to be difficult. Why not help yourself and follow WN's recommendations/suggestions to make things go a little more smoothly at the gate. Plus it seems to address your exact situation and concern.
No semantics and not trying to be difficult. The solution you've suggested does not address the concern. You still have to stop and talk with a gate agent or check-in agent if you book ahead. Agents seem to have varying levels of difficulty with the COS situation in my experience regardless of which way I do it... hence my first question.

So, you haven't mentioned whether you are a COS... but if you are, or you travel with one, have you noticed less difficulty with the prebook method? If my initial attempts at this were simply bad luck, I'd be willing to give it another shot. My attempts thusfar have resulted in the same difficulties at the counter (on the agent's part... I usually take the opportunity to respond to email or look at stuff online)... plus it's an additional phone call/outlay by me.

Last edited by sirdatary; Sep 25, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by justhere

I disagree with your reading of the policy. Southwest clearly provides both options, with no requirement that a COS prebook. The language used is "may," not "should" or "must."

When you read the FAQ, it appears that the prebooking option exists so a COS can reserve the seat with less interaction at checkin, but it is clear that both methods are acceptable.

Last edited by twitch76; Sep 25, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
My day was fine both before and after this happened. :-)

I understand the reasoning, I'm just trying to figure out if this is how they normally handle it. I can easily see someone getting upset if they gave up an aisle seat and no kid shows up.

Let me guess.. you aren't a COS? If there is a delay in getting paperwork together, the GA will normally get a hold of the FA during A-group and have them reserve two seats together while they finish.

Another iteration of this that I've run into is a tight connection due to a delay, which puts me at my connecting gate during C group. So far, the one time this has happened, there were still two seats together.

As I stated above... not complaining, just looking for others' observations. :-)
When you've already identified and been approved and have a connection, you are in the system. Thus, there are two seats together being held.

No telling why the GA didn't have the FA hold two seats, that was a mistake on the part of the GA.

As for identifying at the airport vs ahead of time, WN mentions it at https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-COS.

I interpret that as saying they appreciate the advance notice.

I routinely need to preboard and always make sure to arrive a good 20-30 minutes before boarding is to begin, which is generally 30 minutes before expected takeoff. You said you arrived at the gate 35 minutes before expected departure, which would be cutting it close in my book when you need a preboard doc and COS doc.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
No semantics and not trying to be difficult. The solution you've suggested does not address the concern. You still have to stop and talk with a gate agent or check-in agent if you book ahead. Agents seem to have varying levels of difficulty with the COS situation in my experience regardless of which way I do it... hence my first question.

So, you haven't mentioned whether you are a COS... but if you are, or you travel with one, have you noticed less difficulty with the prebook method? If my initial attempts at this were simply bad luck, I'd be willing to give it another shot. My attempts thusfar have resulted in the same difficulties at the counter (on the agent's part... I usually take the opportunity to respond to email or look at stuff online)... plus it's an additional phone call/outlay by me.
Stopping and talking didn't appear to be your primary concern. You seemed to be more concerned with the way it was handled on board the aircraft.

No I am not a COS however I've read many posts by one of FT's experts, if you will, on being a COS and I never read anything from him about the same problems you are experiencing. And as far as I could tell, he always booked an extra seat in advance.

Originally Posted by twitch76
I disagree with your reading of the policy. Southwest clearly provides both options, with no requirement that a COS prebook. The language used is "may," not "should" or "must."

When you read the FAQ, it appears that the prebooking option exists so a COS can reserve the seat with less interaction at checkin, but it is clear that both methods are acceptable.
No one said it was a requirement. You missed the point.

For both of you, straight from WN's website (bolding mine):

In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation

The unplanned accommodation was the bulk of the OP so it would seem WN has a recommendation to help with this exact situation. One can choose to use that recommendation or not. But then don't complain when you don't use it and you have the exact problem it sets out to address.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:20 pm

I do think that booking the 2nd seat in advance should, in theory, offer better convenience to the COS, as well as benefit WN. The cost however is the temporary outlay of additional funds and inconvenience of requesting the refund post-flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.