Wiki Posts
Search

Free standby for A-list

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ursine1
Two hours.

This will be a big benefit to those A-Listers whose main airport is a hub, and who fly primarily to other hubs (or cities with frequent service).

To everyone else, not so much.
It will also be a big benefit to passengers like me. If WN's ticketing system forces a long/padded connection and we are able to run to the gate (never check bags!) before the prior connecting flight doors close.

We've had very mixed results with agents letting us on free standby in that case vs. trying to charge the fare difference. Charging a customer extra $ when they end up being able to make the 'illegal or un-offered connection time' was downright unfriendly.

Companions will still get snubbed, because if they are not also AL/AL+, they don't get the same standby list priority as the member. At that point the agent can allow the a list member the open seat and notate the companion ticket to allow them to fly solo on the original flight.

Now it'll be more like the days of using standard awards. The rude agents can still start the conversation with 'you'll be charged alot for the difference' then we get to see the look of disappointment on their face when the system refuses to let them charge us any money.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by uclagee
When they say "same city pairs" - does this mean if I have a flight with 1-stop, I can standby my way into a non-stop?

For example on a random day I found:
$212 depart 12:10PM SJC-LAS arrive 1:30PM
$148 depart 1:05PM SJC-LAS arrive 2:25PM
$100 depart 1:30PM SJC-LAS (1 stop in LAX) arrive 5:30PM

In the situation above, I may try my luck at booking the layover flight with the hopes I can find an empty seat on one of the two earlier non stops.
If more A listers try this, the result will be delayed flights as the waitlist is cleared.

Also, I would urge WN to instruct their gate agents that a person traveling on a companion pass CAN be split up from the primary passenger, should only one of the pair choose to exercise the no-add-fee standby. This is not universally understood now as I have witnessed gate agents have to call their supervisor for approval when my companion flies on the scheduled flight and I volunteer my seat and take a later flight. Some gate agents believe that the companion MUST fly with the primary under any circumstance.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Michael El

AA offers free same-day standby for all elites within six hours of the original flight. I believe the other legacies do the same.
UA offers free same-day confirmed seats for gold and above within 24 hours (before and after) of original flight. If a confirmed seat is not available then it's free to wait-list for everyone. Non elites and silver pay $75 fee if a confirmed seat becomes available.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
My impression is the two hour window was done to slowly ease into the policy change. Coming from other carriers, here are some simple issues that we will need to see consistent experiences to determine what is policy (if someone doesn't otherwise publish the internal guidelines).

-This is still free standby not free confirmed change. It does mean anyone who pays cash (fare difference) will be ahead of potential standbys. And the timing of the clearing standby is rather late into the boarding usually. Does not help with those with baggage typically.
-As we are not really used to any free flight changes (except for >15 min delays), it is not clear how people on the same PNR are impacted (who don't have status). Other carriers, like AA have in general shared benefits for everyone on the same record. The CP person seems tied to the paying passenger, but not sure of other situations.
-Because it is standby, it doesn't really allow later flights safely except for existing flat tire accommodating.

I agree that this is for frequent flight pair markets (intra-CA and a few other markets) otherwise this has more limited benefit since I don't see as much flight frequency elsewhere.

Rasheed
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:59 am

Changing to a flight with different stops between is interesting. What if there is standby room on leg 1, but not leg 2?

Given all the random connecting cities WN has, you could also use this as a way to change your destination. Pick a flight that connects through a city you want to go through instead, get on that and then exit.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by alchemista
Changing to a flight with different stops between is interesting. What if there is standby room on leg 1, but not leg 2?
I think they'll let you take your chances with being stranded if that's the way you want to play it.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Sounds like a great opportunity for SEB for us non A-List folks who don't buy EBCI.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
Sounds like a great opportunity for SEB for us non A-List folks who don't buy EBCI.
Good point. This will increase the pressure on Southwest to close that loophole, although I admit I don't care the tiniest bit about losing a position or two to a lucky person who got a dropped A-list number.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
New OLCI strategy = set alarm for 24 hrs / pay better attention to Tripit alerts OR wait till T-1 hr 50 min and play the SW lottery!! -> A or C boarding pass
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I tried this at HOU today as my work wrapped up early getting me to the airport early as well. I tried to switch from HOU-MDW-MSP to an earlier routing through STL, but was denied as the STL-MSP leg was showing as sold out. This was at the ticket counter, not the gate, and the info above came from the ticketing agent, rather than from the app or website.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:37 pm

It is confirmed that a person traveling on a companion pass does not receive this benefit. Confirmed by a WN phone rep, at least. See my link in one of the first posts to my thread on the WN Community Forum if you want to see the post.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by AlexM125
It is confirmed that a person traveling on a companion pass does not receive this benefit. Confirmed by a WN phone rep, at least. See my link in one of the first posts to my thread on the WN Community Forum if you want to see the post.
Of course they are going to tell you that, since it is parroting official policy. Reality IME is that GAs will frequently try to accommodate the Companion in a similar manner as the CP holder.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
A person traveling as a companion already had this benefit = free standby. They just don't have any priority in the standby list, which is a separate and pre-existing A/A+ benefit. Two different things.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Why didn't Southwest confine this to A+ first, just to see how well it works in practice?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:18 pm

So DAL-HOU standby lists get longer and nothing else changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.