Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding with child (both in A group)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
I really don't get all the obfuscation.

This is a simple case. OP is an AA ExPat and A List flying with his daughter. WN's policy regarding children boarding is clear with no ambiguity. It's on their FAQ. OP pays for EBCI, but prefers not to pay for BS. Daughter gets A 41, maybe not as far up front as he'd like.

If the boarding order didn't matter, why would OP consider asking the GA to make an exception?

That he had a tight connection is irrelevant. Maybe others have tight connections, or he should have chosen better. That he had a young daughter is irrelevant. WN is clear that he should board with A41. If it really didn't matter, why ask if the GA would allow the daughter to board with his lower number? If it really didn't matter, just board at A41, as he had ultimately chosen to do.

As to common sense and decent human being, I'd imagine a really decent and fair person would have just boarded at A41 and not plan to impose on others assuming they'll accept the GA to allow for the line cutting.
Exactly! And why I've asked did OP bother to buy EBCI for the daughter, but not board at her position?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Cool, well then since I'm A-list, the GA should let my C48-holding GF/companion board with me at A19. She's only going to take a middle seat, which only a few other customers would care about, plus WN should take care of me and make an exception.
You should at the very least appeal to the common sense of the GA or curry favor early on. And, since 90% of WN Pax are decent human beings that allows for common sense to prevail, the middle seat will not be an issue.

Just board at the front. The 10% who may object or even voice their concerns should be disregarded. After all, they're anal, nit picky, and only a small minority.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I really don't get all the obfuscation.

This is a simple case. OP is an AA ExPat and A List flying with his daughter. WN's policy regarding children boarding is clear with no ambiguity. It's on their FAQ. OP pays for EBCI, but prefers not to pay for BS. Daughter gets A 41, maybe not as far up front as he'd like.

If the boarding order didn't matter, why would OP consider asking the GA to make an exception?
The boarding order didn't matter in terms of affecting where other people sat. It mattered to the OP if for no other reason than he would feel like he had a better shot at making his connection. That he chose to pay for EBCI rather than BS I would think was a risk/reward proposition. One that I think many in his position would do the same way.

At least he paid for EBCI to minimize the impact to himself and to others. He could have simply not paid and tried to move his 4 y.o up even more or at worst he would have only been 19 places further back than he was. I took it as he did what made the most sense and then just simply asked a question.

As to common sense and decent human being, I'd imagine a really decent and fair person would have just boarded at A41 and not plan to impose on others assuming they'll accept the GA to allow for the line cutting.
Exactly. No reason to interact with fellow passengers and ask a question.
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Cool, well then since I'm A-list, the GA should let my C48-holding GF/companion board with me at A19. She's only going to take a middle seat, which only a few other customers would care about, plus WN should take care of me and make an exception.
That's not even close to the same thing. There's a fundamental difference between an adult and a 4 y.o. Your GF, I would assume, is quite capable of boarding at her position and then finding you on the plane and sitting in the middle seat that you saved for her. A 4 y.o. isn't capable of doing that. Or even if they are, who would leave their 4 y.o. to board on their own?

However, if you want to ask all the passengers between you and C48 if they mind, knock yourself out. I wouldn't mind if you told me your GF was just taking a middle seat. I would call you out on the plane though if I saw you both sitting in aisles or windows.
Basically, OP is a WN Elite to whom WN's overly simplistic boarding policy should not apply (because it's his 4 year old daughter and not, say, a very small adult friend) since it defies common sense to, perhaps, the GA and 90% of WN's general pax demographics.

True, this does happen with many other carriers. So, this is just a WN DYKWIA thread.

Got it.
Not sure why people keep using analogies that include an adult. It's not the same thing. I don't think anyone has said that the boarding policy defies common sense. At least I didn't. I was saying that common sense told me that there was no real difference to where everyone else was going to sit whether he boarded at A19 or A41 so why get worked up about it.

Not sure I follow you last paragraph. If it happens on other carriers why should it not happen on WN? I think the DYKWIA stuff in this thread applies more to the people who don't see the difference between an adult and a child as it applies to the context of this thread.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:06 pm

The strict application of the rules in this situation penalizes the OP for traveling with a child.

Those who are calling for this must apparently think that is fair, and/or are seeking the advantage of boarding before the OP.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
You should at the very least appeal to the common sense of the GA or curry favor early on. And, since 90% of WN Pax are decent human beings that allows for common sense to prevail, the middle seat will not be an issue.

Just board at the front. The 10% who may object or even voice their concerns should be disregarded. After all, they're anal, nit picky, and only a small minority.
Why does it have to be an all or nothing proposition? No one that I've seen is saying that if another passenger objects that they are anal or nit picky. They are free to object and I would hope that people are decent enough to respect their feelings.

This is clearly a divisive subject and that's ok that people feel one way or the other. What doesn't seem to make sense is the passion people seem to put into the "rules are rules and don't even ask" thought. In many instances that certainly would make sense. For example, on another airline that has FC, someone asking the GA "well seeing as Y is pretty full, you should just put me in FC as it makes sense for everyone." No point asking as the chances of it happening are slim to none and it could impact someone entitled to that seat in FC.

But in this instance does it really make sense, if you were in line at somewhere between A20 and A40, to say "no" to the OP when you know that the chances of it affecting where you sit are slim to none?

I've said in this thread that I'd say "yes" to the OP. I might even say "yes as long as you don't take an aisle seat in the bulkhead row if it's available". Or whatever seat it is that I want if it's not already taken. And I would say that if I was A20 or A40. And I would do it that way for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that if I ever needed a favor I would hope that people would afford me the same courtesy. They won't all the time, but I bet most of the time I would run into people who use common sense and are decent human beings and they would be happy to help.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
In this case, if I'm A20 or worse, seeing A19 with a child is a benefit as I know the competition for the exit row just decreased by one, which is the only thing I care about...
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
In this case, if I'm A20 or worse, seeing A19 with a child is a benefit as I know the competition for the exit row just decreased by one, which is the only thing I care about...
There you go using common sense. How does that help anything???

And before anyone says it, yes I know that if the OP boarded at A41 it also decreases the competition for the exit row by one. But that just adds to the point that it makes no difference in this context to the other passengers where the OP boards but it makes a difference to the OP in how he feels about his connection chances.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
Young children are not permitted in the exit row. So there's no competition.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
Young children are not permitted in the exit row. So there's no competition.
Re-read my post, perhaps it wasn't too clear but, I meant exactly that (its good news for me if I'm following Mother & Child..)

Last edited by joshua362; Sep 25, 2016 at 10:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.