Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding with child (both in A group)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by akdrewfus
Wow, I see this is a sensitive subject. But to follow up on what happened:

I saw numerous responses before we boarded, and it seemed like people were starting to lose their minds over the idea of a 4 year old cutting them in line. As a frequent traveler (Exec Platinum AA, A-List Southwest), I certainly understand why people responded the way they did, and as such, I did the "right" thing and boarded with my daughter at her boarding position.

End result? We missed our connection in BWI. Would we have missed it had we boarded at my position? Likely, yes. 45 minutes in BWI can be tight on its own, let alone with a 4 year old, and on a plane filled with people that apparently didn't want to get off. Oh well.

To some of the questions that were asked:

"If you want to board early, buy Business Select" - noted. My daughter flew with my Companion Pass this trip, next time I'll likely buy 2 BS seats, or fly AA.

"Why bother with EBCI" - I believe I gave my reasoning in my initial post, but for those that like reading things twice: tight connection, wanted to avoid boarding during family boarding if at all possible. For those that haven't traveled solo, with a 4 year old, with a tight connection or not...you haven't lived.

Next time you're running to a tight connection: start walking to your connecting gate, about halfway there, pretend your imaginary friend has to use the restroom - but your imaginary friend is 4 years old and the opposite sex; not quite old enough to enter the ladies room on their own, too old for you to comfortably drag them into the filth that is airport mens rooms. So you start the search for the nearest family rest room, only to discover a line 5 deep. For the remainder of the walk, your imaginary friend demands we stop at every water fountain, for they are "dying of thirsty", oh and "their shoes are untied" (they're velcro). You've had about enough of the excuses of your 4 year old imaginary friend, so you throw them on your shoulders, grab their tiny suitcase (because they demand they have their own carryon), their pillow, their stuffed animal, your briefcase and carryon, and start the sprint to the gate of the already departed flight.

Congratulations, you've passed your first class. Your next assignment is how to entertain a 4 year old, in BWI, for 3.5 hours while you wait to clear the standby list.
Her age is irrelevant. She consumes a seat. That makes it exactly the same as an adult who line cuts, because the results are the same. OBEY THE RULE and line up with the higher number, or wait until the A's have boarded and board with family.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, I see this is a sensitive subject.
Yes, it is.

Next time you're running to a tight connection: start walking to your connecting gate, about halfway there, pretend your imaginary friend has to use the restroom - but your imaginary friend is 4 years old and the opposite sex; not quite old enough to enter the ladies room on their own, too old for you to comfortably drag them into the filth that is airport mens rooms. So you start the search for the nearest family rest room, only to discover a line 5 deep. For the remainder of the walk, your imaginary friend demands we stop at every water fountain, for they are "dying of thirsty", oh and "their shoes are untied" (they're velcro). You've had about enough of the excuses of your 4 year old imaginary friend, so you throw them on your shoulders, grab their tiny suitcase (because they demand they have their own carryon), their pillow, their stuffed animal, your briefcase and carryon, and start the sprint to the gate of the already departed flight.

Congratulations, you've passed your first class. Your next assignment is how to entertain a 4 year old, in BWI, for 3.5 hours while you wait to clear the standby list.
Yes, flying with a 4 year old is hard. So is flying with bad knees. So is flying with valuables in a carry-on without status. So is flying with a migraine.

What makes this a sensitive subject is the sense of entitlement that some (but by no means all or even most) parents have. Sorry, but this was a problem of your own making; you booked flights with a tight connection. We used to have a saying aerospace: "The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

This is just a variation on, "I couldn't book seats together, so YOU have to swap with me." Sorry, but, no.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by joshua362
If only this much thought, time, debate, nit picking and effort went into the cure for cancer, we would be there already.
Ever heard of the fallacy of "false analogy"? I might suggest looking it up.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Ever heard of the fallacy of "false analogy"? I might suggest looking it up.
My bad, I should have added a or . Please look up "joke".
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by rickg523
Also, are you the guy who insists that within the stands of 5 everyone show you they're in exact numerical order.
OP may not be that guy, but I am. Why else do we have individual numbers if not to board in order?

When confronted by someone who tells me "the exact boarding order isn't important", it's universally someone who has 'upgraded' themselves. I have never met someone who told me that boarding order isn't important, who was farther back in the line than they belonged. Never. I usually respond with "OK, if your exact boarding position is not important to you then I'm sure you won't mind moving to the back of the line".
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:39 am

I still don't get buying EBCI for the daughter and not expecting to board at that position. If OP planned on boarding at the "better" A-list position with the daughter, why ever bother with EBCI? Or was boarding earlier a thought after seeing her boarding position?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:09 pm

If only there was some sort of... seating system... where seats could be... chosen... by the passengers... or... assigned... in advance. That would help eliminate these types of issues.

Or at least reduce these recurring inane discussions.

If only.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by ursine1
If only there was some sort of... seating system... where seats could be... chosen... by the passengers... or... assigned... in advance. That would help eliminate these types of issues.

Or at least reduce these recurring inane discussions.

If only.
It wouldn't be any better. That same person would just stand obliviously in the middle of the priority boarding lane with their "group 4" boarding pass while a hoard of elites try to push through.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Piece of cake and I'll trade you any day of the week. Try traveling with my 4-year old and twin 2-year olds on the same trip.

Sorry to hear you misconnected at BWI. High probability that boarding at your original position would not have changed the outcome at all. Easy to look back now but probably would not have booked that tight of a connection when traveling with a little one. The potty breaks, distractions and inability to move as quickly as you normally are accustomed to are all things to try and take into account and plan for up front as best you can. Hopefully you both made the best of the situation had fun on the trip!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Visconti
From WN's site:

"An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position."

If not for the possibility of circumventing this policy, what motive would the OP have to even inquire?
From what was stated in post 1, one could assume that he knew the policy but I chose not to ascribe any motive to it as none was stated and I didn't know why he was asking. You are free to assume the worst and I'm not judging you for doing so. I can think of a few reasons why he asked and some are legitimate and some are not. I don't automatically assume someone is trying to circumvent anything.

Originally Posted by theddo
His question is perfectly reasonable, it's okay to ask how he should act and what's okay to do in any given situation.

Expecting anything to be fine is a wholly different matter.
Agreed. That's why I didn't say what he should expect. Just talked about how I would handle it if I was next in line and why.

To the OP: sorry you missed your connection and it does sound like it wouldn't have made a difference where you boarded. FWIW, some people wouldn't have a problem with it and some would. Just the way the world works.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
.... start walking to your connecting gate, about halfway there, pretend your imaginary friend has to use the restroom - but your imaginary friend is 4 years old and the opposite sex; not quite old enough to enter the ladies room on their own, too old for you to comfortably drag them into the filth that is airport mens rooms. So you start the search for the nearest family rest room, only to discover a line 5 deep. For the remainder of the walk, your imaginary friend demands we stop at every water fountain, for they are "dying of thirsty", oh and "their shoes are untied" (they're velcro)....
OP..sorry you missed your connection and have followed this thread from Post 1. Thank you for the laughs today! ^^

To your above story I might add our memories of our little ones "sounding" out each word/letter of EVERY sign or shop they see as we walk by. For example "funitel" (poster at Reno airport) is pronounced FUNNY TALE - hmmmmmm (wheels spinning inside little head) "I don't think it's funny and there is no tail" (clearly the poster is not to his liking)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Originally Posted by wetrat0
OP may not be that guy, but I am. Why else do we have individual numbers if not to board in order?

When confronted by someone who tells me "the exact boarding order isn't important", it's universally someone who has 'upgraded' themselves. I have never met someone who told me that boarding order isn't important, who was farther back in the line than they belonged. Never. "
That guy is me. It makes no difference to me at all if an A-21 boards in front of my A-19. Mean difference in getting bin space or getting off the plane must be in micro-seconds. Life is too short to blow your fuse over nothing.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by bobunf
That guy is me. It makes no difference to me at all if an A-21 boards in front of my A-19. Mean difference in getting bin space or getting off the plane must be in micro-seconds. Life is too short to blow your fuse over nothing.
If you're A-21 and I'm A-19, and you board in front of me and then take the exit row seat I prefer, I won't consider that "nothing."

When the new boarding policy was first communicated, passengers were told to simply line up near their assigned set of 5. Now, passengers are asked to line up in order within that group.

It's really not that difficult.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by bobunf
You are free to board a B42 with a A19 boarding pass if that makes you happier and there isn't any difference anyway - but don't get upset other people would prefer to board at their assigned number instead of a worse one.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I see the OP is AA EXP - I wonder if when he boards say a 5 hour AA flight and has been upgraded to 1st Class say seat 3F and boards only to find a father in 3D and his 4 year old daughter in 3F if he just switches seats and takes the daughters seat in 23C ? I mean that is what he expects others to do otherwise he would not of asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.