Search

"My flight is delayed, so I will be early"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
"My flight is delayed, so I will be early"

"My flight is delayed, so I will be early." Today I caught myself saying that for more than the 10th time in the last 20 years. It sounds absurd to anyone not well acquainted with Southwest's free standby policy.

I was traveling on a $49 fare (actually 2335 points) and my flight was showing a 45-minute delay. I have an important rendez-vous tomorrow with this aircraft, so I didn't want to be late. I also didn't want to pay the fare difference, which would be 19524-2335 = 17189 points or a cash ticket for $224. That's a crazy amount to pay just to travel an hour or two earlier.

Today's 45-minute delay qualified me for free standby on a flight 2 hours earlier than my scheduled departure. I dashed to the airport and the gate agent printed me a boarding pass as boarding was into the early B's. Yippee!

With standby priority due to A-list Preferred status I no longer fear flight delays. Half the time I get out earlier when there's a delay. Southwest's idiosyncratic standby policy works for me, in part because I know how to work it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:07 pm

Yup...used it twice and it's been two of my best Southwest experiences.

First, flew SAT-DAL in 2011. Stood by for 2 flights, finally made it with the last seat and sat in the middle next to a COS, who turned out to be an Apple sales rep. We had a great conversation about Apple products for 45 mins.

Second, flew MDW-BWI-FLL...I've told this story before, but I ended up going MDW-ATL-FLL because they were delaying the flight to BWI for late connections. They ended up delaying what my connection would have been. In this case, I didn't ask to get moved, just asked about the delay, and the agent took it upon herself to get me standby and I made it to ATL sitting next to two people going to some heavy machinery show. They had a lot of drink coupons. Good times. Plus my ATL-FLL was only booked to like 45 PAX...was a -300 but whatever.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Good info, thanks. I was led to believe even though you have "priority" you still have to pay the anytime fare, even as an A+. Is it only true some of the time, or was that person full of it? I tried to search the FAQ's but nothing came up.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Never took you for a burner, NSX, have a great time!! (some day I'll fly my own onto their makeshift runway...)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123
Good info, thanks. I was led to believe even though you have "priority" you still have to pay the anytime fare, even as an A+. Is it only true some of the time, or was that person full of it? I tried to search the FAQ's but nothing came up.
I don't think it's an official policy, and it can only be done by a CSA...but if you're delayed 15+ mins, they typically allow this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jco613
I don't think it's an official policy, and it can only be done by a CSA...but if you're delayed 15+ mins, they typically allow this.
That makes sense. I think in the scenario I heard, the person just arrived to the airport way early and their original flight was still on time but they tried their luck at getting on the earlier one.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
I may have really lucked out once with this. Had a flight that went on a 7-hour mx delay about 2 hours before scheduled departure. Immediately got cleared as a stand-by for an earlier flight that was departing on-time. Got my BP for the new flight from the gate agent and attached was a $200 luv voucher for original flight mx delay. Landed at destination two hours prior to scheduled arrival of original flight. Basically, got paid to arrive early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.