Search

Oddball Refund Expiration Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Gold), DL (GM)
Oddball Refund Expiration Issue

Hi All,

I have a strange WN refund issue, that I would appreciate any input/help with. I had (literally) $9 in expiring refund credit which I applied towards a $300+ flight.

I now need to cancel the $300+ flight, but the agent I spoke with indicated that ALL $300+ will now have the (rapidly approaching) expiration date of the originally applied $9.

Is this correct or did I just get a bad agent?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:14 am

It is a bad deal but that's how Southwest works.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:08 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Pull up the Email confirmation of your booking and you should see just below the line with the PNR and confirmation date:
Code:
Passenger(s)     Rapid Rewards #     Ticket #     Expiration     Est. Points Earned
The expiry date of your $9 funds would have been listed there in the "Expiration" column. If you were anything less than 100% sure you would take the trip, it would have been a good idea to immediately use the 24 hour cancellation rule to obtain a full refund, and then rebook without using the $9.

If the rule was ever different (ancient CoC language hints it might have been at one time), it's been this way for so long that you'd be hard pressed to find one SWA regular who remembers a different rule.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I also watch the expiration date VERY closely. Since I re-fare often, these funds "contaminate" future travel plans. For example, I still had some funds with a January 2017 expiration date. I just used them on a very low fare one-way flight from PHX to SEA ($74), betting that the fare will not go down further. For the return flight ($119), I just used my cc to pay for this one since it might go down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.