Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Here in BHM they have been handwriting boarding passes and have begun to rebook people for flights tomorrow as well.

EDIT: Not really rebook, more like, give us your name and when the system comes back up we will rebook you for tomorrow.
As in Customers who don't feel comfortable flying today?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaronp84
Can confirm entire system is down. At MCI now and nothing is moving. Flights can only land and park at their destinations.
FlightStats is showing all departures from the last couple of hours as "Scheduled."

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...he-country.ece

From @SouthwestAir, regarding customers who need to rebook on another carrier, but who are unable to cancel grounded WN flights, due to system being down:

If you can't cancel we'll take care of any No-Show emails you receive, and refund your ticket/restore your credit

Last edited by mke9499; Jul 20, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:43 pm

just listening to BWI ATC, traffic is moving again
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
FYI - Flights are now boarding out of MCI.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by aaronp84
FYI - Flights are now boarding out of MCI.
just boarded TUS - SAN (original flight TUS-LAS-SNA still showing 2 hour delay).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:19 pm

The website is nstill down but is now showing a

"Visitor Prioritization Waiting Room page"

It has two buttons, "Flight Status" or "Check In"

IT must have been busy, it has a nice animation of a Southwest plane flying by.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
The Check-in button doesn't seem to work. The few times I have gotten to the form, it just kicks back to the temp home page.

My one job was to check-in my in-laws at T-24.

#fail

David
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Yes, systemwide groundstop. Computers down.
Buddy of mine just called, said some (but not all) were starting to depart again...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
For BWI, are WN flights actually taking off? Have family that was supposed to be on a 9pm flight tonight. Should I have her rebook to a different airline or does it look like it is starting to sort itself out? (Going to SAN if it makes any difference)
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:42 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by dgilman
The Check-in button doesn't seem to work. The few times I have gotten to the form, it just kicks back to the temp home page.

#fail

David
The "Flight Status" button isn't working either.

But you're missing the pint the page is "cute".

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 20, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
Buddy of mine just called, said some (but not all) were starting to depart again...
Just heard 2 launch from LAS (didn't catch the #s). The departure headed to PHX needed a call-for-release time, which LAS tower obtained and told them "we will get you off right now if you can get to the end of the runway in 5 minutes" -- with zero hesitation, pilot reported "we will make that" and away they went.

At 410pm Herb Daylight Time, FR24 indicated 138 SWA flights airborne (including several from the Caribbean; an interesting picture). At 440pm (30 minutes later) FR24 indicates 209 in the air. Granted perhaps not a 100% accurate picture, but a decent SWAG.

Quite a lot of intra-CA starting up and down the coast. Compared to a normal day at this hour, it looks like a ghost town over and approaching/departing LAS/SLC/DEN/MCI/STL and the northeastern part of the country.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold

#fail

David
I saw people commenting on their FB posts that the website check-in wasn't working, but the app was, so you might try that.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:00 pm

I suspect they may launching the short and medium haul flights manually, which is a more time-consuming process, in terms of release generation and ATC filing.. Longer flights take longer to plan and process..

Though I get to sit this one (and all future ones) out, I feel for my co-workers, crew, and (of course) all our pax..
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

#fail
I feel your fail.

I was on WN Monday and Tuesday; glad I am home today.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jkjetsetters
I saw people commenting on their FB posts that the website check-in wasn't working, but the app was, so you might try that.
Can't check in online or on the app

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.