Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by joshua362
Its priceless if you actually use it and worthless if you don't. Only you know the answer to that.

As I've written before and the fact the WN offered such a sweet deal in a hugely populous state like CA, the actual utilization must be much less than anticipation when earning it otherwise WN would have yanked it long ago...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26879839-post4.html
Your correct, it is only valuable if you use it. If you are retired and want to visit the US, and Carribean, then go for it. It's a deal for them.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
I think even a majority of the people who churn the companion pass via CC will earn Southwest more money than lose it, and since the flyer accumulates points they are more likely to use southwest as a primary or secondary option even after
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:21 pm

I got the targeted offer but I already earned my CP through 2017...

Southwest has some interesting promotions.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I'm surprised that I got this promotion as I haven't flown Southwest in more than a year. However, I can do five midweek OAK-ONT round trips for under $600 total and still be at work on time the next morning if I stay overnight near ONT. I knew those Club Carlson points would be handy eventually! Now I need to figure out if we'll get that much value from having a CP until the end of next year.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by alanro
I'm surprised that I got this promotion as I haven't flown Southwest in more than a year. However, I can do five midweek OAK-ONT round trips for under $600 total and still be at work on time the next morning if I stay overnight near ONT. I knew those Club Carlson points would be handy eventually! Now I need to figure out if we'll get that much value from having a CP until the end of next year.
OAK/LGB is $39 each way pretty much all day Tuesday and Wednesday and N/S.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
OAK/LGB is $39 each way pretty much all day Tuesday and Wednesday and N/S.
Thanks, I hadn't realized that any fares under $59 were available. And the scheduling of the flights would work just as well for me to spend a night in LGB and get back to work at a reasonable hour the next morning.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I know the answer is probably a NO but if I took a flight from LAX to OAK to SEA would that count as two? I made two touchdowns in a California airport! LoL
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I know the answer is probably a NO but if I took a flight from LAX to OAK to SEA would that count as two? I made two touchdowns in a California airport! LoL
If you book it as two reservations (for more money no doubt) it would count as two.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:24 pm

So LAX to Las Vegas is $39 each way. When I went to book a roundtrip of LAX-LAS and LAS-LAX with an arrival time of 2:25pm and departure of 4:45pm in Las Vegas it drops the roundtrip price to $72.36 saying one trip with plane change in LV. With more time in between it reflects a roundtrip price of $77.96.

I opted to book two one way flights for the $78 price since I did not want to take a chance on SW somehow counting the $72 booking as one trip. Can somebody weigh in? Would this count normally as two one way trips (or one roundtrip)? A $6 difference for beer does not really matter to me as I'd rather take the known known.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
So LAX to Las Vegas is $39 each way. When I went to book a roundtrip of LAX-LAS and LAS-LAX with an arrival time of 2:25pm and departure of 4:45pm in Las Vegas it drops the roundtrip price to $72.36 saying one trip with plane change in LV. With more time in between it reflects a roundtrip price of $77.96.

I opted to book two one way flights for the $78 price since I did not want to take a chance on SW somehow counting the $72 booking as one trip. Can somebody weigh in? Would this count normally as two one way trips (or one roundtrip)? A $6 difference for beer does not really matter to me as I'd rather take the known known.
A genuine RT counting as a OW seems quite weird to me. I know in the old days (at least) you could do something similar with an Award ticket under certain circumstances.

Perhaps an artifact of this bizarre software meltdown they are experiencing.

Wonder what would happen if you booked the RT to show as a one-way and then cancelled one leg. Would be interesting to play with.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:15 am

No offer for me but that may be because I am on track to get CP without the promotion. If this is to counter the AS expansion in CA, I hope they do something for their existing good CA customers. Seems like we could bolt and WN would be stuck.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce

I noticed the same thing too. Originally, I was going to book a few SFO-LAS roundtrip flights with the SFO return flight within 3 hours of landing at LAS. When I did that, it looked like WN's website was recognizing my roundtrip as a one-way trip with a plane change, instead of a round trip. Just to be cautious, I increased the layover time to 4+hours and that seemed to do the trick (e.g. there's no longer a mention of a plane change and the $6 discount goes away).

Regardless, I think as long as you do a "real" round trip, no matter what the layover time is, you should be fine. I don't see how WN could deny you the companion pass even if its obvious you were just doing these flights to qualify for the promotion. There's nothing in the T&C's that states the round trips or one way flights can't all be done in one day...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by soopra
... There's nothing in the T&C's that states the round trips or one way flights can't all be done in one day...
There better not be, I do quite a number of real round trips in a single day.. Granted the turn isn't as tight as a run.. Usually one of the first flights out, and one of the last flights back.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Plat
damn, wife and I don't see this promo.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
If the layover is under 4 hours, it counts as a one-way flight. Pay the extra $5.60 and book them as one-ways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.