Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Qualifying Points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Tier Qualifying Points

Probably a dumb question for most of the pros around here, but what are other ways to earn tier qualifying points other than actual flights, if any?

The disclaimer says "*Tier Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights or through select Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards and are exclusive of bonuses and promotions."

I've never seen anything with CC's that had the points count towards tier status, only companion pass status.

Just curious, as I think I'm going to get close to A-List Preferred this year, but may come up a little short. I want to be able to push it over the edge if so.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
If you're only purchasing WGA fares you can buy an Anytime or BS fare and those points count as TQ points and could boost you over the edge. AT and BS fares usually earn at least 3-4 times more TQ points than you get with WGA.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:41 am

The premiere card gives 1500 TQP for each $10,000 spent up to an annual limit. Ocassionally Southwest will allow the purchase of some TQP for select people. Those purchased points are not usually good for anything but Tier Qualifying, they are not good for travel.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The premiere card gives 1500 TQP for each $10,000 spent up to an annual limit. Ocassionally Southwest will allow the purchase of some TQP for select people. Those purchased points are not usually good for anything but Tier Qualifying, they are not good for travel.
Limit is 10x annually per WN Visa Premier card. Not sure if that is calendar year or card membership year.

Also, very occasionally there will be tier point bonus offers on flights. I think it has been at least a couple years.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Hertz car rentals count if you designate your RR# on the Hertz rental
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by jddssc121
Hertz car rentals count if you designate your RR# on the Hertz rental
No, they do not.

TQP's are earned only by flying, the 1,500 per $10,000 on the Chase Southwest Premier card mentioned earlier (limit of 15,000 annually), and -- very rarely -- by purchase and/or tier bonus offers after receiving a targeted offer.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
No, they do not.

TQP's are earned only by flying, the 1,500 per $10,000 on the Chase Southwest Premier card mentioned earlier (limit of 15,000 annually), and -- very rarely -- by purchase and/or tier bonus offers after receiving a targeted offer.
I was wondering about that one. I though I might have been missing out one something. I might be willing to spend a few more bucks on Hertz for TQP.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Here are a few existing threads for more details on TQPs:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ng-points.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ggestions.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...nd-expire.html
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:58 am

Directly from www.southwest.com:

Tier Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights or through the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase. Points earned via Rapid Rewards Partners-with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase-purchased points, Bonus Points, or points earned via a promotion are not Tier Qualifying Points and do not count toward tier qualification.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:03 pm

Except, as mentioned earlier, Southwest does occasionally send out targeted tier qualifying bonus points promotions.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info guys! You confirmed the info I have been finding out and about.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it looks like based on current travel schedule for rest of year, I am going to come real close to A-List Preferred.

What are the usual amount of points that you have heard of SW allowing you to purchase at the end of the year to put you over the hump?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swens6
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it looks like based on current travel schedule for rest of year, I am going to come real close to A-List Preferred.

What are the usual amount of points that you have heard of SW allowing you to purchase at the end of the year to put you over the hump?
I do not recall WN ever allowing outright purchase of TQPs.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I do not recall WN ever allowing outright purchase of TQPs.
I believe there have been directed offers for purchasing TQP points. If I remember correctly the points were TQP only and could not be used for travel nor Companion Pass. They also may not have counted toward A-List preferred.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.