PHX-CUN with DEN layover

Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:45 am
Original Poster

PHX-CUN with DEN layover

I used Southwest points to purchase a ticket from PHX to CUN in August that has a layover in DEN. Right now you can fly from PHX to DEN for 1,666 points and from DEN to CUN for 12,240 which just about equals the same amount I spent from PHX to CUN. What I want to known is, is it a good idea to re-purchase the 2 legs of this trip separately so I can use my TSA precheck in PHX, or is there some smart reason just to keep it as an official layover and not be able to use TSA precheck because of their weird international situation of not being able to do that.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The small advantage of getting TSA Pre✓ would be outweighed by the problems you could encounter in the event of a misconnect in DEN.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
You could always book a refundable ticket, go through security and cancel the ticket.

Originally Posted by Tanic
The small advantage of getting TSA Pre✓ would be outweighed by the problems you could encounter in the event of a misconnect in DEN.
If you're that worried about it, I'd just schedule a longer connection in DEN.

With the TSA's goofy "experiment" in PHX, making pax take everything out of their bags, having PreCheck is vital.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you misconnect in Denver, it's not going to be fun either way. There's only 1 DEN-CUN flight per day, and by the time you misconnect in DEN I'm not sure if they'd be able to reroute you via another city to get there in time.

That said, this is a low-probability event. If it concerns you, then get on the 6AM flight out of PHX and know that if all goes well you can have a 2-hour breakfast in Denver.

I assume WN would be able to tag a checked bag through to CUN either way? Most airlines can do this without issue (I've even done it where the 2nd PNR is on an interline partner), but I've never had to do it with Southwest.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by pinniped
If you misconnect in Denver, it's not going to be fun either way. There's only 1 DEN-CUN flight per day, and by the time you misconnect in DEN I'm not sure if they'd be able to reroute you via another city to get there in time.

That said, this is a low-probability event. If it concerns you, then get on the 6AM flight out of PHX and know that if all goes well you can have a 2-hour breakfast in Denver.

I assume WN would be able to tag a checked bag through to CUN either way? Most airlines can do this without issue (I've even done it where the 2nd PNR is on an interline partner), but I've never had to do it with Southwest.
Yes. Totally uneventful.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by tusphotog
You could always book a refundable ticket, go through security and cancel the ticket.
...or book another domestic ticket on points which is refundable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.