Wiki Posts
Search

Have comfort animals gone too far?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

Seen at Terminal 1, LAX. A comfort duck!
Attached Images  
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: Southwest | A-list preferred + CP || Marriott | Gold
Originally Posted by dlaue
Seen at Terminal 1, LAX. A comfort duck!
The doctor who wrote that prescription must be a quack.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:50 pm

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

Yes.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12

Yes.
What he said.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Considering a lady tried to bring a goldfish into Disneyland (in a open top aquarium no less) as a "comfort animal"...yes, this crap needs to stop.

There should be no reason that service dogs, therapy dogs, and comfort animals should not have a legal certification and be required for entry into establishments. You need to be issued a placard to park in a handicapped space, why is this any different?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:38 am

Who cares? Is the animal bothering you? What percentage of people flying do you think have a non-canine support animal? 0.0001%? Of all the things to worry about at the aiport or on a plane, this wouldn't even make my top 100 concerns.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:51 am

Amazingly the duck even had a free drink coupon and ID to prove it was over 21 years old!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:14 pm

Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by camaross
Who cares? Is the animal bothering you? What percentage of people flying do you think have a non-canine support animal? 0.0001%? Of all the things to worry about at the aiport or on a plane, this wouldn't even make my top 100 concerns.
I posted this take on a similar thread a few months ago: I think on most routes, you're right: the incidence of people trying to use the "support animal" nonsense to get a free pet onboard is very, very rare. (Not to be confused in the slightest with people bringing legitimate service animals onboard, which are highly trained and certified.) I had flown hundreds of flights and not noticed them personally.

But then I flew to Florida and saw pets all over the airport, some with the silly "support animal" vest on, some not.

So now I think it's probably somewhat route-dependent. And no, the dogs and cats (it's usually those two...no ducks in my experience) don't bother me. On one hand, I can't blame someone for trying to get around a bogus airline fee...or even if you don't think it's bogus, one that's risen a lot faster than inflation over the years. But on the other hand, I know a lot of people are allergic to pets and feel they shouldn't have to fly with them except in cases where the legal protections for seeing-eye dogs (and similar service animals) are in effect. The airlines make the fees for pets quite high in part as a deterrent, so I can see where people circumventing them is annoying to some.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:14 pm

Now I kind of want a comfort duck...

But really, the airlines are fully to blame for the abuse of this. If they made the in-cabin pet fees even close to reasonable, people wouldn't be so actively trying to circumvent the rules. Paying between $190-$250 round trip for my 15 pound dog to take up exactly the same space, and replacing the carry-on I'm already allowed, is tough to swallow. It's an offensive fee, that has no relation to any real cost for the airline (of course, that's true of many of the stupid airline fees).

I pay the fee for my dog, because that's the type of person I am, but I actually don't really blame others for telling the airlines to F off with their stupid charges.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by camaross
Who cares? Is the animal bothering you?
Would learning people around you paid $12.50 General Admission bother you in a $375 Box Seat?

WN charges $95 to transport pets. Avoiding it should have consequences.

Fares tend to rise as fee revenue disappears.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:28 pm

I am highly allergic to dogs and especially cats. So, yes it does bother me! The occasional service dog at the front of the plane is completely understandable. But, on one flight, I had to change seats in the middle of the plane mid-flight because of a serious reaction I was having to a cat that had previously sat ON the seat I was occupying. Glad the flight was not full and I could do so.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Reminds me of riding public buses in Ecuador.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Give the blind their seeing eye dogs, after that forget it,,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.