Wiki Posts
Search

Have comfort animals gone too far?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by camaross
Who cares? Is the animal bothering you?
Yes. Yes it is. It also insults people who really need an animal for real tasks.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I think Southwest screwed up. I don't think they can refuse to transport an ESA, even a rodent. I have heard of ESA rats, mice, Guinea pigs, hamsters, chinchillas and rabbits (but rabbits are not rodents).
"• Certain unusual service animals pose unavoidable safety and/or public health concerns and airlines are not required to transport them. Snakes, other reptiles, ferrets, rodents, and spiders certainly fall within this category of animals." I don't believe they allow birds either.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
Yes. Yes it is. It also insults people who really need an animal for real tasks.
Hear hear!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
And you get to be the one that decides which task is "real" right? Because someone else's medical condition and how they treat it is totally your business. Get a life.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by mile ho
hmmm....

My wife says I'm her emotional support animal.... now to get the letter from her Dr.
That would be a cheap Companion Pass.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
That would be a cheap Companion Pass.
Actually, I probably gave some clown an idea. (note to clown: let me know if it works)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:45 am

And you get to be the one that decides which task is "real" right? Because someone else's medical condition and how they treat it is totally your business. Get a life.
This is similar to those that have handicap placards and claim they need them even though their disability is something no one can see and anticipate. Then they get a late tee-time and play a round of 18 on the golf course by themselves.

I'm not going to judge those who have a placard. But when I see some stores opening for the morning and all the handicap spots are taken up...even though they are actually further away from the front door than regular spots due to the location of the handicap ramp, I wonder if they're really thinking things thru sometimes.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Panther02
"• Certain unusual service animals pose unavoidable safety and/or public health concerns and airlines are not required to transport them. Snakes, other reptiles, ferrets, rodents, and spiders certainly fall within this category of animals." I don't believe they allow birds either.
Where did that come from?
OK I found it

68 FR 24875, May 9, 2003
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Office of the Secretary
14 CFR Part 382
Docket No. OST-2003-15072
Guidance Concerning Service Animals in Air Transportation
I'm not sure this is still valid but in any event the OP's ESA was not in any of these categories.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 22, 2016 at 11:29 am
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Here is a idea....

1.) You are afraid to fly... drive.
2.) You're allergic to peanuts... Fly an airline whose slogan doesn't include the word peanuts.
3.) You want to drag your (insert pets name here) so you don't have to pay to fly it. see #1

This is not a nanny state and I am tired of making allowances for other punks.

Go ahead and flame away. ^
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
You might want to grab some of these:

http://www.bulwarkonline.com/c-20-fr-nomex-coveralls.aspx

Originally Posted by Ceres
Here is a idea....

1.) You are afraid to fly... drive.
2.) You're allergic to peanuts... Fly an airline whose slogan doesn't include the word peanuts.
3.) You want to drag your (insert pets name here) so you don't have to pay to fly it. see #1

This is not a nanny state and I am tired of making allowances for other punks.

Go ahead and flame away. ^
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
I'm not going to judge those who have a placard. But when I see some stores opening for the morning and all the handicap spots are taken up...even though they are actually further away from the front door than regular spots due to the location of the handicap ramp, I wonder if they're really thinking things thru sometimes.
When people park in the reserved spaces that are farther away that other open space I figure their need for their disability placards must be genuine. They're parking over there because they need the ramp!

As for all being there at opening, I figure people with disabilities may prefer visiting stores right at opening time if the crowds then are lesser and/or less rushed. I know that with DW having a temporary disability right now, going shopping at peak hours is a trying experience because of the crowds and people in a hurry trying to push around us.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I wore these a lot when I was a kid working in the mills

I did't mean to be too negative, and we all have issues. I am am legally disabled but I don't take advantage of it, I board with my group. And I just watched a small cocker spaniel get dragged through the terminal kicking and screaming that it did't want to fly. But I am sure the person pulling was in as mush distress as the poor animal.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:42 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I find the duck less offensive than those claiming their dog or cat are emotional support animals ...

Not sure how folks would feel about my daughter's emotional support animal ... it is well-trained and (usually) well-behaved:

Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Just yesterday. . .yes, when the bag showed up he "indentified" it. Stood and wagged his tail before the teenage boy grabbed it.

Sometimes they are irritating, and sometimes they are okay.

Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
I find the duck less offensive than those claiming their dog or cat are emotional support animals ...

Not sure how folks would feel about my daughter's emotional support animal ... it is well-trained and (usually) well-behaved:

Hey, at least it sits on the floor, rather than getting its hair all over the seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.