Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW Premier Credit Card application question

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

SW Premier Credit Card application question

Hello all, longtime lurker first-time poster...

I am trying to earn a companion pass. I already signed up for the Plus card in January for a 40,000 bonus. Through spending and a few other things I have earned roughly 20,000 more so I need to earn 50,000 points. Easy, except for...

In January I got some bad advice. I read a website that said to apply for a business card, say you are your own business, use your ssn as your tax ID number, etc. I tried this, applying for one of the SW business cards, and I was denied. The reasons were I have recently applied for too many credit cards and my income was too low (I listed $900 as my income from tutoring. Like I said, I got some bad advice haha.).

I applied for the Premier card back in 2014. I earned the 50,000 bonus back in April 2014. Thus, 24 months since I earned the bonus has passed, so I am eligible to earn the Premier bonus again. Once June gets here I will have had a 24-month period where I have earned less than 5 cards, so I am safe on the 5/24 rule. I cancelled my original Premier card in December of 2015.

Since I was denied in January for the business card I have gone dark, not applying for any cards whatsoever. I'm hoping to get off of Chase's radar so that when I apply for another Premier card they won't realize I'm the guy that applied for a business card was told I apply for too many cards.

My questions are:
1. Do you think I'll be approved for a Premier card when I apply for it? As explained above, there are some factors that point to a "no." If I don't get approved and get the 50,000 bonus I have no hope for earning the companion pass.

2. How long should I wait to apply? I won't really need the Companion Pass until October, so I have some more time to wait before I apply. the bonus is 50,000 today but as we know there is usually a referral out there in the ether. Should I keep waiting a few more months? I don't want to cut it too close to my deadline as I may need two months to spend the $2,000 to trigger the bonus; August is realistically as long as I can wait to have time to spend the $2,000. Do you think I should wait until August?
Old May 23, 2016, 8:59 pm

Well, for starters, this is the wrong forum for your post. It's best suited for the Credit Card section.

Not to add insult to injury, you probably could've recon'd your way into that business card. Just a point for future denials. Don't accept defeat until you've called the recon line at least a few times.

To your questions:
1. Sounds like you'll be fine on getting the Premier.
2. In the points world, things get shut down without notice all the time. It's in your best interest to apply as soon as you can, provided you know you can make the min spend.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:34 am

What did you put in the personal gross annual income section? This should include all income, from your job, and your business. If you only put 900 in that field, it would explain why you had no shot of getting approved.

What is your credit line on the Plus card? If it is over $5000, secure message chase and have them reduce it. It should help getting instant approval on the premier card.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:56 am

In terms of staying off the radar, 4 months isn't really anything in terms of time. Once they receive your application they're going to know your entire history, not only with them but with every creditor you've ever had or applied for credit with.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I think I listed my income (over 65K) as well as the tutoring income-I don't remember for sure but I think so.

I did try the recon line and IIRC the recon agent grilled me about the low business income. I only tried the recon line once-perhaps I should have tried more times.

Thanks for the advice-I will try posting this in the credit-card forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.