Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines looking at Brazil

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Does Southwest overnight crew/aircraft outside the US? I haven't looked too deeply at the current international but those I've seen have been out and back same day. The duty day may be a greater limiting factor than theoretical aircraft range.
We do have some international overnights currently.
Mexico City
San Jose
Liberia
Cancun
Aruba
Punta Cana
and San Juan (for contract and flying purposes, treating as intl)

More to come hopefully! I just came off a Liberia overnight!
Old May 15, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The Brazilian economy is circling the drain. Then there's the political upheaval going on. As well as the Zika virus health scare. I put this in the wishing thinking column. Perhaps they plan on code-sharing with a carrier already serving South America. Besides, who in their right mind would want to be on a flight that long where your seat is determined by where you are in line for boarding?!! No thanks.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Southwest is really "looking at Brazil," then Kelly is looking south and saying "Thank God we don't fly to Brazil."

Brazil has been nothing but a money pit for more than two years now. A while back, AA execs said that Brazil's share of AA's revenue had fallen from over 6% of the total to just over 2%. That's a drop of over $1.5 billion.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
He hasn't hear any news for Cuba service yet, but not yet. You have to be patient. Give it a time. They will announced it.
Who's the "they"?

Southwest can't announce routes to Cuba if they're not granted authority for any routes to Cuba.

The "they" who have to do the first announcement is the "they" who will decide which airlines get granted which routes to Cuba.

Only after that announcement can any airline itself announce the service they plan (including the planned start date).
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:30 pm

I know not to put much stake in what FAs say privately about future service, but on our flight yesterday the FA said over the PA something like "Watch for an announcement soon of our new service to Brazil." I found this thread, which is generally dismissive of the idea. Any thoughts now on whether it will really happen?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rove312
I know not to put much stake in what FAs say privately about future service, but on our flight yesterday the FA said over the PA something like "Watch for an announcement soon of our new service to Brazil." I found this thread, which is generally dismissive of the idea. Any thoughts now on whether it will really happen?
Where to? Is that FLL? They will have a big Announcement on this Thursday for FLL new international routes. Soon the concourse A is about completed sometimes in between July or August during at that time.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Where to? Is that FLL? They will have a big Announcement on this Thursday for FLL new international routes. Soon the concourse A is about completed sometimes in between July or August during at that time.
Pure speculation but FLL to Fortaleza is approximately 3500 air miles and FLL to Salvador approximately 3900, well within range of new 737 MAX.

No direct service from US to Northern Brazil since AA pulled out of Recife and Salvador mid-2016 due to economic situation in Brazil. Connections are now through GIG and GRU (a lot of backtracking).

Aggressive by SW but not completely inconceivable.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
Pure speculation but FLL to Fortaleza is approximately 3500 air miles and FLL to Salvador approximately 3900, well within range of new 737 MAX.

No direct service from US to Northern Brazil since AA pulled out of Recife and Salvador mid-2016 due to economic situation in Brazil. Connections are now through GIG and GRU (a lot of backtracking).

Aggressive by SW but not completely inconceivable.

Yes, the 737-8MAX does have more capabilities. They can fly northern Brazil, not for GRU or GIG. It was out of range. I think they should have stops SJU to get refuel the plane.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:51 am

FLL-SJU-GIG is over 4,000 miles. I wouldn't fly that on a WN 737, with no meal service or IFE, if the flight was free.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by t325
FLL-SJU-GIG is over 4,000 miles. I wouldn't fly that on a WN 737, with no meal service or IFE, if the flight was free.
Yes, that's a problem. They want to eat a hot meal and free IFE, as well. That's what exactly they want. It's very important for everyone.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
What he/she said. Times One Thousand.

Not all of us are obsessed with always "scoring a deal"
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
What he/she said. Times One Thousand.

Not all of us are obsessed with always "scoring a deal"
Just to put it into perspective, anyone who thinks FLL-SJU-GIG is a good idea that WN should pursue, ask yourself this, would you fly WN MDW-CDG, with an hour or longer stop in YHZ, where you may not be able to get off the plane? Because that's almost exactly the same distance.

I didn't think so.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to put it into perspective, anyone who thinks FLL-SJU-GIG is a good idea that WN should pursue, ask yourself this, would you fly WN MDW-CDG, with an hour or longer stop in YHZ, where you may not be able to get off the plane? Because that's almost exactly the same distance.

I didn't think so.
Right, you will not getting off the plane. Stay on the plane. Stay where you are.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:12 am

Right, you will not getting off the plane. Stay on the plane. Stay where you are.
So, in other words, unless WN decides to buy a couple widebodies, Brazil service isn't going to happen, because no one in their right mind would fly that.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
So, in other words, unless WN decides to buy a couple widebodies, Brazil service isn't going to happen, because no one in their right mind would fly that.
If you believe they are only interested in GIG or GRU, yes. If you believe they might fly to underserved cities in Northern Brazil that currently have no non-stop service from the U.S. (by way of example, Fortaleza has nonstop budget flights for tourists from Europe), then no. Remember, scheduled flight time from Liberia, Costa Rica to LAX, now served by WN (along with AS) without the 737MAX, is approximately 6 hours. There are plenty of butts in those seats.

Last edited by getoffthe grid; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.