Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

flight attendant creates a homemade sign, blocks overhead bins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flight attendant creates a homemade sign, blocks overhead bins

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 7:47 pm

Pretty sure this is illegal as all signs/placards need to be FAA approved. I would report this to the DOT.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:51 pm

Some answers to your questions:
- No, this is not a "home made" sign. Most AC have these and they are used when necessary. The reverse says "DO NOT OCCUPY" and can be used for instances such as when a seat is inop but not visibly so to prevent customers from using them.

- No, we do not have closets. We have to use the bin space just like you. (Exception: The -800 has limited bag stowage in the forward entry area. The MAX8 will not have this space.)

- Yes, sometimes we have a lot of bags. Living out of a suitcase for many days (sometimes 6 or more) in a row -- including a different hotel room each night -- lends itself to carrying a lot of belongings. Also, we have a very bulky, FAA required manual that takes up a lot more space than you would think.

- If FAs are standing in to board a flight for a late inbound crew, we may close off bins for that crew's luggage. Since we don't know what they have we may overestimate the space usage. That said, the current crew is boarding your flight to get you out on time so pardon the overhead space inconvenience.

- Our handbook tells us where our bags go based on position - some in the front, some in the back. Some, including me, place our bags over row 3 or 4. However I know FAs who have had their personal belongings with visible crew tags taken off the plane by passengers. I would bet if that happened to me, I'd be more likely to put my bags in the very first bin so I could watch them.

I don't know what happened in your case of course, but I can promise you that we honestly are not trying to make your experience worse. There are legitimate reasons why bins may be blocked off.

(As always: I am employed by Southwest. However, these are my own thoughts and opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.)

Last edited by fiuchris; May 4, 2016 at 9:56 pm Reason: update -800 bag storage
Old May 4, 2016, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by fiuchris
Some answers to your questions:
- No, this is not a "home made" sign. Most AC have these and they are used when necessary.
It must be very crew attitude dependent.

What's the penalty for opening the bin(s) the crew expropriates?
Old May 4, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by LegalTender
What's the penalty for opening the bin(s) the crew expropriates?
No peanuts for you.

Supposedly WN is getting locking bins for the FAs.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fiuchris
Our handbook tells us where our bags go based on position - some in the front, some in the back. Some, including me, place our bags over row 3 or 4. However I know FAs who have had their personal belongings with visible crew tags taken off the plane by passengers. I would bet if that happened to me, I'd be more likely to put my bags in the very first bin so I could watch them.
Appreciate your perspective as a crew member - but I disagree. The flight attendant has every right to be in close proximity to their belongings. However, bulkhead passengers need to part ways with their personal item which often contains a purse or wallet. In my case, the FA made a bulkhead passenger stow her purse in the rear of the aircraft. The bulkhead passenger is at a serious disadvantage and increase risk of theft when compared to a flight attendant's luggage a few rows away.

Southwest is famous for sensible policies. I can't imagine they haven't thought of this exact situation. I would think that the handbook explicitly outlines that the crew should use row 3/4. Either way, it’s reasonable and considerate crew members like you make a big difference in this world. You save a lot of stress for your bulkhead customers - especially those who paid a lot more for Business Select and didn't know/forgot/could not stow a valuable personal item nearby immediately upon boarding!
Old May 5, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Lavatory for flight attendant use only

Federal law requires all passengers to comply with posted placards. I love flight attendants - but like any profession, there will be a few bad apples. I would hope that all placards are airline or FAA approved to prevent abuse. Just imagine - "Lavatory for flight attendant use only" - and using the lavatory becomes a federal offense?
Old May 5, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
On another note I have seen "Plane Cookie" boxes occupy bins too
Old May 5, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by MattFLL
Appreciate your perspective as a crew member - but I disagree. The flight attendant has every right to be in close proximity to their belongings. However, bulkhead passengers need to part ways with their personal item which often contains a purse or wallet. In my case, the FA made a bulkhead passenger stow her purse in the rear of the aircraft. The bulkhead passenger is at a serious disadvantage and increase risk of theft when compared to a flight attendant's luggage a few rows away.

Southwest is famous for sensible policies. I can't imagine they haven't thought of this exact situation. I would think that the handbook explicitly outlines that the crew should use row 3/4. Either way, it’s reasonable and considerate crew members like you make a big difference in this world. You save a lot of stress for your bulkhead customers - especially those who paid a lot more for Business Select and didn't know/forgot/could not stow a valuable personal item nearby immediately upon boarding!
Seems like there's a lot of people jumping all over the "maybe" scenarios, without any proof that's what it was.

Matt - you seem like you're not going to accept any reasoning, so I'm not sure why you posted a question here in the first place. Why would you think the handbook 'explicitly outlines that the crew should use row 3/4'? This this fact, or just your opinion?

As for your reasoning for purchasing Business Select, that in no way implies that the passenger will use rows 1 or 2. What if they wanted rows 3 or 4? And in no way guarantees the bin will be available above whatever seat they wanted.

As for the woman who had to go all the way to the back of the plane to stow her purse, I imagine we're not talking about a small purse. When she first boarded the plane, those bins would've clearly been marked with the sign. She could've put her purse in the overhead bin across the aisle, back a few rows, or under the seat. If she chose Row 1, she wouldn't have had had the under the seat option available to her. And when we're talking a purse so large that there wasn't any overhead space except for the rear of the plane after the plane will full, we're talking a fairly large bag that she seems to be claiming is a personal item. Most normal-sized purses would've had no problem squeezing in a small space in most 'filled' bins.

And finally, there's no guarantee any passenger has any access to any cabin bin. The flight crew could require that all belongings be checked.

Since we don't know the true reason why those bins were closed, no reason to speculate. Heck, they could've been broken for all we know, rather than some sinister flight-crew-wants-their-bags-up-front reason.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN CP; Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ursine1
Except in the case of a tight connection, I've never quite understood the appeal of the bulkhead seats. Yes there is greater legroom, but there is also no under seat storage, the armrests are bulkier due to the integrated tray tables, and you'll almost certainly have a completely full row
As someone that measures in at 6'5", I welcome you skipping the bulkhead row so it's available for me.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Since we don't know the true reason why those bins were closed, no reason to speculate. Heck, they could've been broken for all we know, rather than some sinister flight-crew-wants-their-bags-up-front reason.
Good point. We will never know all of the facts. It would be wrong to draw a conclusion. But I think it's OK to speculate and chat about it. That's why most people are here
Old May 5, 2016, 12:53 pm

Using Bins Forward-Most

I love flight attendants and I think they deserve as many bins as they need. I just don't think they should use the forward-most bins. A passenger achieves the benefit of deplaning quickly when using those bins (including making a tight connection); there is no benefit to a flight attendant because they deplane last. Also, it takes space away from the bulkhead passengers who have the exclusive need to stow everything--even their personal item.
There is actually benefit to flight attendants using those bins. Not every airline has specific bins for them. I see quite a few stow their luggage in "passenger bins" towards the front. If their jumpseats are in the front, it makes sense to keep your luggage near to them. They might not be getting off first, but they also don't want a passenger stealing their purse...or even their luggage! Yes, passengers have stolen (or taken "accidently"...in some cases when they didn't even board with any luggage) flight attendants suite cases, which can contain required items for flying. Your items get stolen, you are temporary grounded, possibly causing delays and cancellations.

That alone is plenty reason why I'd want my luggage as close to my seat, or where I'll be most of the flight. If there isn't room for the luggage, I'm sure the flight attendants would be more than happy to gate check your bags!

The main problem I see is when passengers place their bags in the row one bins, and walk to the back of the plane. I've also seen some place their small bags under their seats taking up the leg room of the person behind them!
Old May 5, 2016, 1:41 pm

Carrying all that luggage on a plane is a pain so I always travel light and check in my one piece of luggage at the check in counter then again my flights are usually from Denver to Baltimore when I am visiting family so I don't need that much stuff.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:15 am

I love flight attendants and I think they deserve as many bins as they need. I just don't think they should use the forward-most bins. A passenger achieves the benefit of deplaning quickly when using those bins (including making a tight connection); there is no benefit to a flight attendant because they deplane last. Also, it takes space away from the bulkhead passengers who have the exclusive need to stow everything--even their personal item.
as a flight attendant I can tell you many reasons why we use those company provided signs. We stow our bags where we can see them during deplaning because people steal our bags. We have our lives in those bags and without them we cannot finish our trips.
Also, if it's a full flight we are asked to save bin space for people who are connecting from another delayed flight.
Also, when the bins are broken due to passngers putting large items in and forcing them closed, we have to cl I se the bins off.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:43 pm

FAA required cabin crew items and federal aviation audits

Just as pilots have required items that must be easily accessible to them durring a flight, flight attendants also are required to keep required items such as FAR manuals, passports, FAA air Certificate, and electronic manuals within close proximity. Failing to do so can subject the individual flight attendant to fines up 15000 dollars. Although rare I know at least one F/A who was fined.

I generally place my bag one bin back when working in front. Keep in mind if our bag walks off the airplane even if it's just by accident (all bags look alike) we are illegal to fly and that can cause delays and cancellations. If we are flying international and our passport goes missing this creates significant problems both for the flight attendant and a plane full of passengers who are stranded until a flight attendant with a passport can be flown in.

Finally if we are audited by the FAA (happens more and more frequently) we have to have our required items close and easy to get to. The FAA cabin inspectors are not known for their leniency (or sense of humor).

I do however agree that the front row of seats are very poorly designed and need some kind of floor storage.

The signs in the photo are SWA official signs. We sometimes use them on bins when the bin is inoperable due to a mechanical issue like a broken hinge. I've also used them when we've had organ transplant couriers on the plane who had not yet boarded do to a tight connection. You can't check a human heart or a pair of kidneys. I have no idea what the situation was in this instance but putting the signs up is more effort than most F/As would go through just to save space for their own bags.

On a personal note my least favorite position to fly is in the front because in a ten hour day I have to explain to the front row why their bags have to go over head 3 to 4 times a flight on 5 to 6 flights a day.

I apologize for any inconvenience this causes. I sympathize with those in the front row. On the other hand you do get more leg room.

Just as passengers have to follow FAA regulations so do flight attendants and many of them are just as tedious to us as they are to you.

SWA flight attendant 21 years flying on the love jet.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by john398
On another note I have seen "Plane Cookie" boxes occupy bins too
Gotta put them somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.