Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Old May 3, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
But even Spirit has "big front seats." Southwest has peanuts (literally).

It's not just the Cali fares - try running some random fares - they are in excess of $300 one way. This is insane pricing for flying WN. Are the two bags of peanuts really worth these prices?
Big seat up front, carry-on charge, soda, add-on upcharges pretty soon your talking Southwest fare or more.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I've been watching Southwest's intra-California fares for mid-June through late August. They are still stratospheric: $113 to $123 even for the most off-peak flights. Clearly these fares are a placeholder until Southwest decides what the market will bear this summer. The market will not fill short off-peak flights at minimum fares over $100.
You're under the assumption (not assuming as I originally typed) that this isn't what the market would bear. It sounds like it's not what NSX would pay. If the other travelers are, that's what the market is.

What you're *not* saying is that any other airline is cheaper. With planes pretty much filled, there's little incentive for anyone to drop their prices.

Last edited by jeffandnicole; May 4, 2016 at 6:20 am
Old May 3, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Mid-June through the beginning of August has historically been much higher on WN, at least for the last several years. I actually think, overall, it's better than last year. I didn't fly from June 1st to July 30th last summer because the prices were so bad. I have 3 west coast RTs scheduled during the same period this year.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:18 am

NSX what routes are you looking at? I have noticed that some of the fares have been more in the $100 range and less in the the $79 range.

There are some new routes out there. SFO-BUR and OAK- LGB. Do any of these fit ypur needs at a lower price point?

Also check out Botique Air (OAK-MCE-LAX $129) and JetSuitX, CCR- BUR $99.
Depending on how much you fly, SurfAir may also be an option.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:42 am

It does seem like the prices this summer - all the way through to late August - are the highest I've ever seen them. Decent flights cross country start at $300 one-way. And this applies to everyone except Frontier.

And then there's the insane rental car prices.

Economy is slowing, let's see how long this lasts.....
Old May 3, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
It does seem like the prices this summer - all the way through to late August - are the highest I've ever seen them. Decent flights cross country start at $300 one-way. And this applies to everyone except Frontier.

And then there's the insane rental car prices.

Economy is slowing, let's see how long this lasts.....
$300 one-way is outrageous. I don't even pay that r/t coast to coast.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:53 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
NSX what routes are you looking at?
OAK-LAX and SFO-LAX.

JetBlue today has a $49 sale for OAK-LGB that extends almost to the end of June. We'll know in a couple hours whether Southwest has decided to match it. But even JetBlue's non-sale fares are below $100.

As to load factors, my mostly peak hour flights have NOT been 100% full over the past year or so. Loads have been 85% to 95%. That tells me that the current cheap fares are too high to fill the planes, or that capacity needs to be trimmed. Will summer demand increase enough to fill these planes, even at $120 prices? I sure doubt it, especially when driving is cheaper than it has been for years.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by CalItalian
$300 one-way is outrageous. I don't even pay that r/t coast to coast.
I'm in the bay area, which of course has a "roaring" economy at the moment. Try pricing SJC-<just about anywhere east coast>, you will be surprised.

Of course I'm not too hot on 6 am departures. I would take red-eyes if they had 'em....
Old May 3, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I was noticing the high fares too. Hope they go down soon.
However, two weeks ago I paid $539 ONE WAY to fly from Redding to Santa Ana on United. The flight was over 5 hours delayed and they ended up dropping me off at LAX at 1:30 a.m. instead of Orange County at 8:30 p.m. I was reminded that actually, Southwest isn't all that bad.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
The market price will prevail, but I am certain that $123 is not the market price for 3-week advance purchase off-peak flights within California. It has never been the market price before. Not even close. Market price for such flights is $65 to $79, IMHO. I believe that Southwest will make less money if it holds the current prices through the summer.

Does anyone want to bet that Southwest will not go below $100 for summer fares intra-California?
Well, what is the alternative? The same thing is happening on PHX-SoCal/Las Vegas. We were used to $69 or less each way for many years. Now, the fares are in the $123 range.

I took a trip from PHX-ONT for Easter. Initially, it was $115 or more each way. I booked it and, then, kept checking. It finally came down to $69 each way for a 3-day sale sometime in Feb, but if I hadn't checked every other day I may have missed it.

The fares are high and people seem to be paying them.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I just booked SAN-SJC on AS in late June for $76 each way. New E175 service, all window or aisle PRE-RESERVED seats. Same flights on WN are current $25 more each way.

Those willing to pay $271 OW for BS on WN can spend $5 more, get a reserved, first class seat.

Competition is a WONDERFUL THING...
Old May 3, 2016, 3:30 pm

Noticing the same thing. Fares seem almost exhorbitant and sadly, since I'm based in SMF, there really aren't any other options for inter-CA flights except to LA. Even more sadly, I'm still paying more for the WN flights because the CP makes them cheaper than the others.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:44 pm

MCI-MSP is my route and both Delta and Southwest are going higher on the route than usual, especially for 4th of July, usually I can book in advance for $200 or less. I will say that Memorial Day has been much cheaper than I expected. Fortunately, I've been amassing a ton of points but the prices for Fourth of July are just crazy currently, almost $300. I'm hoping prices go down for Thanksgiving and Christmas when the schedule extension comes out in a couple weeks.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares?

Well, they don't want to kill the golden goose that is summer travel but will be sure to choke it by the neck until it gives up every last dollar...

Why wait for summer? $500 one way NY to FL this April & May. Good news is that I used my last SA on a pair of these, bad news is that it wasn't for me!

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/17/ma...pagewanted=all
Old May 3, 2016, 5:46 pm

I'm also waiting for WN and AS fares to drop after mid-June for PDX-OAK. I keep expecting it any day now but it hasn't happened. Neither has blinked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.