Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Bird charge - $15?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:31 pm

Early Bird Checkin Fee Rising

Now that Southwest is upping the cost of the Early Bird Checkin it makes me wonder if people would forgo paying the higher increased cost and would rather checkin at T-24 hours. I wonder if one checked in at T-24 would one get a better chance of getting an "A Boarding Group". Lets say not many people on leisure routes or weekends won't purchase the extra lots of families and others don't have the extra $$$ to fork over for this benefit.

I know that Online chekin is first come first served and I am very good at getting online at T-24 exactly. I have three alarm clocks set to do so. Whether its at midnight 4 AM or 6 AM I am online checking it. Some flights I was the First SEQ# for doing so.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by danielonn
Now that Southwest is upping the cost of the Early Bird Checkin it makes me wonder if people would forgo paying the higher increased cost and would rather checkin at T-24 hours. I wonder if one checked in at T-24 would one get a better chance of getting an "A Boarding Group". Lets say not many people on leisure routes or weekends won't purchase the extra lots of families and others don't have the extra $$$ to fork over for this benefit.

I know that Online chekin is first come first served and I am very good at getting online at T-24 exactly. I have three alarm clocks set to do so. Whether its at midnight 4 AM or 6 AM I am online checking it. Some flights I was the First SEQ# for doing so.
Good on you, but personally I value my time and sleep patterns at far more than $15. <shrugs>
Old May 2, 2016, 7:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Good on you, but personally I value my time and sleep patterns at far more than $15. <shrugs>
In the early days of online check-in all flights opened for check-in at midnight. That was pretty brutal when you had a 630 AM flight.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Another factor is the original fare. If an inflated WGA or Anytime, it may make more sense to go with BS, assure yourself of a decent boarding position. Most of my WN flying is during peak demand, not unusual to end up with a B boarding group for tickets purchased several weeks in advance. This would suggest those paying the Early Bird fee to be further back in the B line.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I booked a few flights for Mrs. Wingrider today and noticed the EBCI increase. I often add the EBCI just to potentially get her on the plane sooner as my low BS number creates a noteable gap otherwise. The flight we are on today was booked Monday- she was A23, flying back tomorrow A34. I'm A1 both flights.

For a CP, EBCI is still cheaper than the WGA with a potential upside. But with the TSA fee, the CP cost gap is narrowing for IntraCA fares on sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.