Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Bird charge - $15?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Totally not the same thing. WN IT stuck in the 90's just because they don't do dynamic EBCI pricing? Then how do they manage to do it for general ticketing of their flights?

One of the main purposes of EBCI is so you don't have to be at a computer, and you get your place in line before those that are checking in online manually.

Low EBCI demand will probably always occur closer to when tickets for such flights go on sale. High EBCI will occur closer to the flight.

Why would Southwest risk losing EBCI sales closer to the flight? If you were to tell me EBCI a week away from my flight was $40, I wouldn't do it. Plus, knowing that EBCI is $40 would just tell me to definitely wait and find a way to check in 24 hours in advance. If it was $15, I would be more inclined to book it.

It's not that EBCI systems can't handle it. It's because it's not a great idea to begin with.
EBCI positions are assigned based on the date of purchase. This means that earlier purchase is better than late. I've seen no evidence that demand for EBCI would fluctuate in the opposite, as you've suggested.

But that's beside the point, since DenverBrian was suggesting dynamic pricing based on individual flight, not time of purchase. On routes with low EBCI sales, the price would be cheaper. Higher penetration would have a higher fee. Upgraded Boarding is currently sold in a similar fashion.

Dynamic pricing of EBCI using any formula isn't necessarily a great idea, and would present challenges for Southwest -- not the least of which would be their notoriously horrible IT.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:21 pm

Charging based on length of travel would be one fairly simple approach.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Charging based on length of travel would be one fairly simple approach.
One potential complication of any dynamic-pricing scheme is that EBCI currently stays with the PNR, meaning it's transferrable. This would have to end, or the difference be collected/refunded when changing between low-fee flight and higher-fee flights. Otherwise the system could be gamed, negating the point of dynamic pricing in the first place.

One suspects Southwest's IT is incapable of the latter, making the former more likely. Sometimes it not better to get what you wish for.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
WN IT is horrible in general, as has been documented repeatedly here for years.
Yeah, if anything I would describe it as being stuck in the '70s. '90s era IT would probably be a big improvement.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:33 pm

I purchase my flights and EBCI the day the flights go on sale. We have never had a spot lower than A28.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Makes for a nice wager - do I buy now when my plans may change or wait and pay 20% more for a worse spot.

Interesting how WN is rapidly pricing itself out of competition. IME reserved seats on AA flights often cost $25-59 and that gets you a guaranteed aisle or window near the front of the plane. And AS sells UFC @$50 for flights <1250mi, which gets you a first class seat, free checked bags and drinks.

I don't think anyone would give WN a second look were it not for the ability to cancel and use TTF.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Early Bird charge - $15?

Maybe I missed it but I just paid $15 instead of the $12.50 for EB. Old news?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...14-2016-a.html
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pkerr
Maybe I missed it but I just paid $15 instead of the $12.50 for EB.
You missed the pre-March 14 $12.50 Early Early Bird special.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
A good cane sells for less than $15.00, or tip a wheel chair pusher..

It is still a good deal when you can not make T24,
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The summer of seat saving is right around the corner.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I guess I did just miss it. Oh well...
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by satman40
A good cane sells for less than $15.00, or tip a wheel chair pusher..

It is still a good deal when you can not make T24,
Or a $5 foot long (with onions
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:23 am

Remind me real quick - if I change my reservation, do I lose early bird, or is that only if I cancel?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Remind me real quick - if I change my reservation, do I lose early bird, or is that only if I cancel?
Changing a res keeps EBCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.