Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Non-CC spend ways to achieve "The Last 6K" for Companion Pass 2016 & 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-CC spend ways to achieve "The Last 6K" for Companion Pass 2016 & 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:32 pm

You'll want to double check whether all the Rocketmiles points are CP-qualifying. With most partners the base points qualify, but not the bonuses.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
You'll want to double check whether all the Rocketmiles points are CP-qualifying. With most partners the base points qualify, but not the bonuses.
Ouch, thanks Rove. Who would I source for that? RocketMiles customer service? Southwest RR customer service?

Or if anyone here already has experience with RocketMiles and what counts versus what doesn't, that would be helpful to me and others reading this thread with the same stated goal: achieving the additional 6K RR points with the least actual up-front spend, e.g. maybe $100 to $200 out of pocket versus up-front spend of $6,000 on visa gift cards, etc.

Re: the particular RocketMiles offer I saw, it may seem that the 3K sign-up bonus points might not count; but the "base points"--I've seen 1K to 5K for one-night stays in my area, not including the 3K new RocketMiles member sign-up bonus--would count? If so, I could go for the 5K one night stay, then it would be easy to secure the additional 1K.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 19, 2016 at 12:55 pm
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Ouch, thanks Rove. Who would I source for that? RocketMiles customer service? Southwest RR customer service?
Neither.

The combined knowledge of people right here is 100x whatever WN or Rocketmiles will tell you.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:31 pm

Or if anyone here already has experience with RocketMiles and what counts versus what doesn't, that would be helpful to me and others reading this thread with the same stated goal: achieving the additional 6K RR points with the least actual up-front spend, e.g. maybe $100 to $200 out of pocket versus up-front spend of $6,000 on visa gift cards, etc.
I'm pretty sure the 3k "bonus" points do NOT count towards CP, and pretty sure the nightly stay points DO.

Side note; my Vinesse wines order was placed on 3/2, delivered yesterday (3/19), but the points have not posted to my account yet. However, an eBay purchase posted 2 days after the transaction and the same for the QuickBooks sign-up. Those were from Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping.

The Laithwaite's Wine order arrived today (ordered on 3/12), but points have not posted to my account yet either... That was from Rapid Rewards Partners.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
You might want to reconsider the Visa card deal. Once you get the CP, to put it in use will mostly likely require ancillary costs such as hotel, car, food, site-seeing, etc expenses. But what do I know, I've gotten the CP every year since 2004 the hard way but have years I've never used it...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
You might want to reconsider the Visa card deal. Once you get the CP, to put it in use will mostly likely require ancillary costs such as hotel, car, food, site-seeing, etc expenses. But what do I know, I've gotten the CP every year since 2004 the hard way but have years I've never used it...
And for actual use the WN Visa card itself is inferior to Sapphire, unless you really need some CPQPs from partner travel. I keep ours for the 2% fee, 0% interest, 15-month term convenience checks. Cheaper than a mortgage.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Any other options or does this thread pretty much cover it?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:47 am

I've never done this, but there is the option of purchasing through the Southwest Shopping Portal and then reselling. Since some stores earn at 10 points/$1 spent, that would mean $600 in spending, then you could re-sell on eBay or elsewhere. This will be more time-consuming for sure, but there's also the potential to make a profit if you can do it right.

Like I said, I've never done this before, too time-consuming and risky for me, but for some it could be an option if they have a low opportunity cost of time.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I've never done this, but there is the option of purchasing through the Southwest Shopping Portal and then reselling. Since some stores earn at 10 points/$1 spent, that would mean $600 in spending, then you could re-sell on eBay or elsewhere.
Some people buy Sears gift cards at 10 points (which often require phone calls to confirm the order is legitimate) then use the gift cards to buy stuff through the portal. That doubles the earnings rate. More work.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Any other options or does this thread pretty much cover it?
I thought you wanted to have this thread closed?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geo979
I thought you wanted to have this thread closed?
At one point, yes. I overreacted and cooler heads prevailed. Thanks again to everyone for presenting a variety of options.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If you are having trouble spending money, one must ask if you can really afford to travel, and use the miles.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by satman40
If you are having trouble spending money, one must ask if you can really afford to travel, and use the miles.
This, I find this thread very amusing. One is given a huge opportunity that is 95% gifted to them yet complaining about the "cost" of achieving the final steps...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Rocketmiles is a pretty incredible deal for CP-eligible points if you can find high point rates. I've averaged 5,000 pts/night so far for stays this year, usually for no more than an extra $20/night or so compared to the next best rate available online. The initial bonus does not count but everything else does, and it posts after a few days.

It's not a great deal for the basic 1,000 pts/night in my opinion, but there have been some really great point values recently...wonder how long it will last.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And for actual use the WN Visa card itself is inferior to Sapphire, unless you really need some CPQPs from partner travel. I keep ours for the 2% fee, 0% interest, 15-month term convenience checks. Cheaper than a mortgage.
So spending on the Sapphire doesn't count toward the CP? Good to know, that is my next card I am planning on getting after the CP is completed in a month or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.