Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase 5/24 rule coming to a SW card near you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Per Doctor of Credit:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...branded-cards/

Chase will soon apply their famed 5/24 rule to co-branded credit cards as well. The rule says that those with five new credit cards within the past 24-months will not be approved for a new credit card application.

I know there will be many people in both camps on this one - some that will be happy that no more CP earned via credit cards. Others will be upset to lose the ability to generate a CP every 2 years unless they keep their other CC apps to a bare minimum. Just figured I'd pass the info along!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:52 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SouthFayetteFan
Per Doctor of Credit:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...branded-cards/

Chase will soon apply their famed 5/24 rule to co-branded credit cards as well. The rule says that those with five new credit cards within the past 24-months will not be approved for a new credit card application.

I know there will be many people in both camps on this one - some that will be happy that no more CP earned via credit cards. Others will be upset to lose the ability to generate a CP every 2 years unless they keep their other CC apps to a bare minimum. Just figured I'd pass the info along!
Darn. This will cut my signup bonus earnings in half or more.

See the thread on the Chase forum for full information:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ded-cards.html
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I predict this will last until the co-branded companies complain to Chase that their affinity credit card metrics are plunging and decide to shop around for a new issuing bank.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
I predict this will last until the co-branded companies complain to Chase that their affinity credit card metrics are plunging and decide to shop around for a new issuing bank.
Southwest just renewed with Chase in mid-2015, for a multi-year partnership agreement.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:36 pm

If you were applying for both southwest personal cards, in the same day, would they be counted in the 5/24? Like if you have 5 in last 24 months could you then open two more or would that then make it 7 in 24 months?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sugarwill
If you were applying for both southwest personal cards, in the same day, would they be counted in the 5/24? Like if you have 5 in last 24 months could you then open two more or would that then make it 7 in 24 months?
Yes, each card that has a different account number is counted separately! Because Chase isn't counting inquiries (which can be combined) or types of cards, they are looking in your credit report for any card accounts with a "card opened" date in the past 24 months and counting those! Every card you open, no matter when you open relative to other cards, is a separate listing on your credit report, isn't it???

The only thing Chase won't see are cards from other banks that don't appear on personal credit reports, such as some charge cards and some business cards. But in addition looking at your credit report, Chase also looks within its own system, so it will count all Chase cards of any kind you opened in the past 24 months.

Gosh, they've even been counting AU (Authorized User) cards!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, each card that has a different account number is counted separately! Because Chase isn't counting inquiries (which can be combined) or types of cards, they are looking in your credit report for any card accounts with a "card opened" date in the past 24 months and counting those! Every card you open, no matter when you open relative to other cards, is a separate listing on your credit report, isn't it???

The only thing Chase won't see are cards from other banks that don't appear on personal credit reports, such as some charge cards and some business cards. But in addition looking at your credit report, Chase also looks within its own system, so it will count all Chase cards of any kind you opened in the past 24 months.

Gosh, they've even been counting AU (Authorized User) cards!
I guess what I'm wondering is, can you only open a new Chase card if you have only 4 open in the last 24 months vs can you have 5 in the last 24 months and then get approved for another?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:08 pm

How much stock do you guys put in this ?

If it's legit I might just get CP again now ( wife has it for 2016) as I won't be able to get in in November, may also get another United card
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:26 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flyer4512
How much stock do you guys put in this ?
I am treating it as fact. I signed up at Credit Karma to get a free list of cards opened. We now need to be precise about planning what cards to apply for and when. I will develop a long-term plan and priorities, keeping one application in reserve for an unexpected opportunity like a 200k BA offer (which is what it would take to get my attention from that program at today's Avios value).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest just renewed with Chase in mid-2015, for a multi-year partnership agreement.
Does anyone know what is in that agreement?

Does anyone think GK would allow a third party to control their benefits?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Banks earn money pushing CC,
I have business, and personal CC,
My wife has business, and personal CC.
That is 20/24 rule...

Do I care..
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Does anyone know what is in that agreement?

Does anyone think GK would allow a third party to control their benefits?
One that brings in millions of dollars in profits for Southwest?

Without knowing the details of this specific agreement, I suspect there are minimums and guarantees on the numbers side.

As far as criteria used for account approval, I suspect Southwest has zero say.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Panic in the Blogosphere has begun.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
One that brings in millions of dollars in profits for Southwest?

Without knowing the details of this specific agreement, I suspect there are minimums and guarantees on the numbers side.

As far as criteria used for account approval, I suspect Southwest has zero say.
I would also say Southwest probably isn't that concerned. It's probably that only a small minority of folks using these cards actually churn them to the degree that they have more than five Chase cards in the last 24 months. And of those, what kind of margins is Southwest seeing on them? Yes, Chase has to pay Southwest for those points, but the ones that end up churning cards just to keep their CP status, what kind of customer do they get there vs. the typical customer that gets the 50,000 bonus points every few years? Who knows, but I doubt WN is losing sleep over it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:21 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by texashoser
It's probably that only a small minority of folks using these cards actually churn them to the degree that they have more than five Chase cards in the last 24 months.
People with more than 4 new cards from any issuer in the last 24 months will be denied. It's still not a large percentage of applicants, though. I'm sure Chase has run the numbers on it and determined that it will not affect their partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.