Wiki Posts
Search

Points one way cash the way back?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Points one way cash the way back?

My daughter needs to go somewhere and I have enough points for the outbound flight but not even close on the return. I know it's against policy to combine cash and points, but can I just book two one way fares, one with cash and the other with points>

Last edited by deckman; Feb 9, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by deckman
My daughter needs to go somewhere and I have enough points for the outbound flight but not even close on the return. I know it's against policy to combine cash and points, but can I just book two one way fares, one with cash and the other with points>
Absolutely. A very common occurrence.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Thank you. I figured it had to be, but I couldn't find a thread that specifically address this.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
I book ALL of my roundtrip flights that way. I pay $ for one way, points for the other. I decide which "currency" benefits me most at the moment.
It's also easier to change flights when you have 2 different record locators, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by deckman
I know it's against policy to combine cash and points...
In the words of Pat Cooper shouting loudly and repeatedly at his children on the Howard Stern show years back, "WHO TOLD YOU THAT??????"

Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:04 pm

Um... It *is* against policy to combine cash and points. Actually, its impossible.

However, since the general "best practice" for Southwest is to book one-way trips, this shouldn't be an issue for the OP if he does as advised here.

Last edited by ursine1; Feb 9, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by ursine1
Um... It *is* against policy to combine cash and points. Actually, its impossible.

However, since the general "best practice" for Southwest is to book one-way trips, this shouldn't be an issue for the OP if he does as advised here.
I think the question is the definition of "policy".

Southwest allows you to buy extra points if you do not have enough, so while you cannot directly book with both cash and points on the same ticket, it is possible to combine cash with points to get an award ticket (by buying points). I think that if Southwest's IT were better, they would likely have a direct cash+points award option, like DL, especially since RR points have a (fairly) consistent dollar value.

Edited to add: OP should definitely book two one-ways.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:13 am

I think a "policy" is a well thought statement regarding an intention of which one makes a conscious decision to allow or deny in some fashion. This is more of a process.

In this case, you are correct, it is a simply impossible, at least online, begging the question whether they can give build and give you one PNR on the phone. But why bother!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:08 am

Can I combine points and cash for a reservation?
No.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:21 am

Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Edited to add: OP should definitely book two one-ways.
... and as a general rule, this should always be the case on WN unless a Promo or fare basis prevents/prohibits it- the example I like to cite is in case you completely miss your outbound segment of a R/T ticket; WN will cancel your return in that case, so even if you manage to get to your destination on a later flight you may have issues getting home (esp. if the return was a really cheap WGA).
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
It seems to me that it has been a very long time since I have seen a promo that required a round trip purchase. Obviously if one exists, then go for it, but otherwise, one-ways are the way to go, whether paying all cash, all points or cash in one direction and points in the other.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FCfree
It seems to me that it has been a very long time since I have seen a promo that required a round trip purchase. Obviously if one exists, then go for it, but otherwise, one-ways are the way to go, whether paying all cash, all points or cash in one direction and points in the other.
With the caveat that at least some trip insurance through credit cards requires a RT purchase, I have read.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
With the caveat that at least some trip insurance through credit cards requires a RT purchase, I have read.
Interesting. I have never looked too deeply into the credit card trip insurance. Never worry about that much because of Southwest's ability to cancel/change with no change fee.

Does it all tie together as part of a trip? That is, do I have to book my flight r/t to get some coverage on my hotel room?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by FCfree
Last year's ATL 3 RT Companion Pass promo required 3 RTs out of, and back into ATL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.