Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW Companion Pass Timing and Strategy for 2016 and 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW Companion Pass Timing and Strategy for 2016 and 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AJULIANC7
Hi. I got a little anxious and applied too early for my SW cards in Mid September 2017. I expect to have both the Plus and Premier in the next few days. I also have 70k spent in 2017, and only need 40k for 2017 companion pass. Looking to try and qualify for early 2018 but I'm afraid that my September application may have spoiled that potential with tha three month window. Any suggestions or strategies would be appreciated. Thanks
Sent a secure message to chase asking for your exact deadline date to meet the spend. If it's in 2018 you have a good chance. If not, see if the date is after your December statement date. You can also request a one-time delay of statement date to move it from late November to early December, which will also mean the following statement drops early January.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Hi. I got a little anxious and applied too early for my SW cards in Mid September 2017. I expect to have both the Plus and Premier in the next few days. I also have 70k spent in 2017, and only need 40k for 2017 companion pass. Looking to try and qualify for early 2018 but I'm afraid that my September application may have spoiled that potential with tha three month window. Any suggestions or strategies would be appreciated. Thanks
Yep, you jumped the gun.

I guess write to Chase and try to get some kind of extension, but in the past this has never worked.

Go ahead and get it done in 2017 and enjoy a couple months plus all of 2018.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yep, you jumped the gun.

I guess write to Chase and try to get some kind of extension, but in the past this has never worked.

Go ahead and get it done in 2017 and enjoy a couple months plus all of 2018.
Chase actually gives more than 90 days, reportedly 103 days. Then you have until the statement closes, which could be 3 weeks later. I think it can work.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
Chase actually gives more than 90 days, reportedly 103 days. Then you have until the statement closes, which could be 3 weeks later. I think it can work.
It can and does work. In 2015 I applied on September 19. I called Chase and asked to change the payment due date to the 3rd of the month. This in turn changed my statement closing date to the 6th. Completed the spend Dec 7th and points were deposited after January statement closed. Been enjoying the companion pass since.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
It can and does work. In 2015 I applied on September 19. I called Chase and asked to change the payment due date to the 3rd of the month. This in turn changed my statement closing date to the 6th. Completed the spend Dec 7th and points were deposited after January statement closed. Been enjoying the companion pass since.
so what date was your 1st statement?? Oct 6th, Nov 6th then Dec 6th...so you would have competed min spend before Dec 6th right??
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by beccafries
so what date was your 1st statement?? Oct 6th, Nov 6th then Dec 6th...so you would have competed min spend before Dec 6th right??
Did you not read my post? It clearly states I met the minimum spend on December 7th.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Did you not read my post? It clearly states I met the minimum spend on December 7th.
Yes, I read your post..I guess I didn't type out my confusion correctly..sorry!

Ok , so if you applied Sept 19, then you WOULD have needed to complete the min spend before the Dec 19th close date right? 3 months to complete

but, because you called and changed your payment due to 3rd and that
made your statement close date 6th now.... so now you had to Jan 6th
to complete your min spend??

I guess I was asking specifically in doing that..what was your 1st
statement close date Nov 6, then Dec 6 Jan 6..thus your 3 months to reach spend?

Thanks!....I'm confused on all that...and just wanted clarification...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by beccafries
Yes, I read your post..I guess I didn't type out my confusion correctly..sorry!

Ok , so if you applied Sept 19, then you WOULD have needed to complete the min spend before the Dec 19th close date right? 3 months to complete

but, because you called and changed your payment due to 3rd and that
made your statement close date 6th now.... so now you had to Jan 6th
to complete your min spend??

I guess I was asking specifically in doing that..what was your 1st
statement close date Nov 6, then Dec 6 Jan 6..thus your 3 months to reach spend?

Thanks!....I'm confused on all that...and just wanted clarification...
Changing the payment due date has nothing to do with the amount of time allowed to meet the minimum spend. That amount of time should remain the same regardless. However, it did allow me to meet the minimum spend earlier in the month, and well within the 90 day timeframe. This is because once the December statement closes, any points earned, including bonus points, will be awarded on your January statement.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:39 pm

Smile

I believe you are ok to get the company pass if you change the statement close date to early date (eg 1st of the month) after your first billing statement. Also you applied and get approved by mid Sept (let's assume 9/15). Your second billing statement will close on 11/1 and your 3rd billing statement will close on 12/1. Any spending after 12/2 and before 12/14(you have to meet the spending requirement before 12/14, 3 month period) will fail into your fourth billing statement in Jan. Your points will be posted in Jan 2018.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

My CP is ending 12/31/2017 and my husband is set to go to obtain CP for 2018/2019. For CA residents, Southwest is having a great offer through end of November on their Plus CC where it will come with the CP through 12/31/2018.

It's way to good to pass up! We've applied for a 2nd card and that will bring us closer to earning 110k points to extend his CP through 2019.

Last edited by nsx; Nov 21, 2017 at 9:48 am Reason: referral deleted; referrals are not allowed in this forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.