Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW Companion Pass Timing and Strategy for 2016 and 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW Companion Pass Timing and Strategy for 2016 and 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
How do I get my statement close date? I know my bill due date, but nowhere does it say the statement close date.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:45 am

Your statement close date is 3 days after your bill due date.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lv2shop4u
Your statement close date is 3 days after your bill due date.
In the first couple months, this can vary.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I seem to be confusing you, to make it easier to understand just don't a make a dime of either spend in 2015.

The bill due dates mean nothing.
Don't spend a dime until January 1st, lol? You do know that sometimes charges do not go through in time either and don't hit your "spend by" date if you wait until January first (with spend date of January 8th).

It is a risk either way.

Spend small amounts up to say $1500 after your December statement but before January 1, and then spend the remainder on January 1st. Even if the small amounts get double charged (no way they would ALL double charge), you have some room.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bonsai500
Don't spend a dime until January 1st, lol? You do know that sometimes charges do not go through in time either and don't hit your "spend by" date if you wait until January first (with spend date of January 8th).

It is a risk either way.

Spend small amounts up to say $1500 after your December statement but before January 1, and then spend the remainder on January 1st. Even if the small amounts get double charged (no way they would ALL double charge), you have some room.
Unless you just do not have the money to spend on other cards in December, it does not matter.

Your Jan 1 spend to trigger the 50K bonus, whether $1 or $2000, will post by Jan 8 or not. The amount is irrelevant.

I think it will post in those 8 days, very likely.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:15 pm

So just that I'm understanding this correctly. My Plus closes on 12/4 this month, mean that my next statement period is 12/5 - 1/4 most likely. Are you guys saying that there is chance Chase will close my statement sooner than what is listed on my statement?

In 7 years of being a Chase CC customer, I have never had this happen.

I was all set to start my Plus spend on 12/5 and Premier spend on 12/8 and now you're saying that I should wait until January just in case?

My spend by date is Jan 13th for both cards.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sc32valve
So just that I'm understanding this correctly. My Plus closes on 12/4 this month, mean that my next statement period is 12/5 - 1/4 most likely. Are you guys saying that there is chance Chase will close my statement sooner than what is listed on my statement?

In 7 years of being a Chase CC customer, I have never had this happen.

I was all set to start my Plus spend on 12/5 and Premier spend on 12/8 and now you're saying that I should wait until January just in case?

My spend by date is Jan 13th for both cards.
Welcome to FT, Sc32valve!

The main problems with dates shifting come from new cards. There can be an extra drop in the first couple months. Not always.

If you look back at your statements over the years, you should see that the drop wanders slightly from time to time. I looked back once and when it occurred, it appeared mostly to be connected to weekends/holidays.

If you are looking for your spend to credit for points next calendar year, just check your Chase statement online on your regular date to be sure it has already dropped. Very little chance of a problem thereafter.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Welcome to FT, Sc32valve!

The main problems with dates shifting come from new cards. There can be an extra drop in the first couple months. Not always.

If you look back at your statements over the years, you should see that the drop wanders slightly from time to time. I looked back once and when it occurred, it appeared mostly to be connected to weekends/holidays.

If you are looking for your spend to credit for points next calendar year, just check your Chase statement online on your regular date to be sure it has already dropped. Very little chance of a problem thereafter.
Thank you for the warm and patient welcome.

So this will be my 2nd statement, closing on 12/4/15 for Plus, closing 12/8/15 Premier. Once this coming statement generates, I will have my real statement closing date. As long as this is in January, spend away correct? No chance of it closing early after that point right?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the warm and patient welcome.

So this will be my 2nd statement, closing on 12/4/15 for Plus, closing 12/8/15 Premier. Once this coming statement generates, I will have my real statement closing date. As long as this is in January, spend away correct? No chance of it closing early after that point right?
Sadly, on new Chase cards there is no guarantee for a couple months. Probably you are ok spending after the Dec. statements drop, but not 100%.

I have posted this many times, but there are various ways for this to go wrong if you spend before 12/31/15. And if it does bite you, I do not think it is reversible.

I always recommend people wait until 1/1 of the new year.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:27 pm

Sadly, on new Chase cards there is no guarantee for a couple months. Probably you are ok spending after the Dec. statements drop, but not 100%.

I have posted this many times, but there are various ways for this to go wrong if you spend before 12/31/15. And if it does bite you, I do not think it is reversible.

I always recommend people wait until 1/1 of the new year.
I completely agree that Jan 1st would be the safest, but I really NEED my Christmas spend to count towards the $10k, so I can use the CP end of Feb.

I will search a bit more on what could go wrong. I didn't know that Chase could change your statement date even after the statement has been printed.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completely agree that Jan 1st would be the safest, but I really NEED my Christmas spend to count towards the $10k, so I can use the CP end of Feb.

I will search a bit more on what could go wrong. I didn't know that Chase could change your statement date even after the statement has been printed.
It is not changing the date. It's the issuance of an extra, early part-month statement.

The problem is that it is completely unpredictable for a couple months, especially the first month. Do not ask Chase reps, they have no idea what you would be asking.

If I were you, I would wait until as late as possible in Dec.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:21 pm

It is not changing the date. It's the issuance of an extra, early part-month statement.

The problem is that it is completely unpredictable for a couple months, especially the first month. Do not ask Chase reps, they have no idea what you would be asking.

If I were you, I would wait until as late as possible in Dec.
I did misunderstand. I wasn't aware of the possibility of a mid month statement. How does that effect your 20 day grace period?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did misunderstand. I wasn't aware of the possibility of a mid month statement. How does that effect your 20 day grace period?
Not certain, but I think each statement stands on its own.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:09 am

Unless I'm missing something or things have changed, you have three months to hit that $10k in spending. Spend $9,500 in December (ie, now) on Christmas gifts between the two cards (or like $4,500 on each card) then spend the other $500 on January 1 or over the first few days of January. If your statements on both cards do in fact close in early January, you'll be hitting the $5,000 mark on each card too close to the closing date and the bonus points won't post until the next closing, which should be sometime in late January to early February depending on what changes, if any, Chase does to your closing date. In any case, you should have your CP ready to go for late February. Just don't hit the $5k spend on either card in December. It's not worth the risk.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
If one reaches the 110K threshold by transferring in points from a hotel program, and the points transfer is instantly, when does the CP become valid for booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.