Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to cancel half of a rt booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Best way to cancel half of a rt booking

I booked my flight rt instead of 2 one ways. I used points to book. I need to cancel only the return flight. (I have to get home earlier and B6 has a non stop for the return so I want to book that instead).

Is there a way to cancel just the return flight? I'd cancel the whole thing and rebook as just the 1 way outbound but that flight has doubled in price/points.

TIA
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I booked my flight rt instead of 2 one ways. I used points to book. I need to cancel only the return flight. (I have to get home earlier and B6 has a non stop for the return so I want to book that instead).

Is there a way to cancel just the return flight? I'd cancel the whole thing and rebook as just the 1 way outbound but that flight has doubled in price/points.

TIA
Call, be nice and plead forgiveness/assistance. There are reports (seemingly greater than 50/50) that SW CS can and will help with this. The fact that you're booked with points should make it easier.

I'd leave out the B6 part of the equation

Please let us know the outcome as time allows.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:58 pm

There's no need to plead anything. A quick phone call to WN will get points refunded for the segment easily.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:12 pm

Fly the outbound. Then cancel the return.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Call, be nice and plead forgiveness/assistance. There are reports (seemingly greater than 50/50) that SW CS can and will help with this. The fact that you're booked with points should make it easier.

I'd leave out the B6 part of the equation

Please let us know the outcome as time allows.
This. A few months ago I called to cancel 1/2 of my RT booked with points and the SW rep was nothing but courteous and efficient.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:01 pm

It's absolutely no problem to call and ask them to cancel the return; you do not need a reason to cancel, just ask. Be aware, though, once you call and have a CSR "touch" your reservation, you will be locked out from making any future changes to that reservation online; you will need to call to do so. But, again, that is no problem.

Southwest is one of the few carriers that does not charge a fee for phone reservations or assistance.

Ask for the taxes/fees on the return portion to be credited back to your credit card.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses. I'll be calling tomorrow to ask them to cancel it for me.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by ursine1
Do this. Just be sure you remember to cancel the return.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Just wanted to follow up and say that this worked perfectly. I never got around to calling. Was able to cancel via the phone app after flying my outbound flight. got my points back immediately and my fees credited to my cc. Forfeited the ebci fee for that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.