Wiki Posts
Search

Great Thing About Southwest: Re-faring Down

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Great Thing About Southwest: Re-faring Down

Going to FLL 8/14. I checked today and noticed my same flight is now offered at a fare $60.00 lower then what I paid. So I cancelled the flight I had booked and immediately rebooked the same flight at the lower fare. No $200.00 change plus I can use the $60.00 difference at a latter date.
Does anyone else ever do the same. It would not hurt to check the fare being offered on a flight booked. Yes the fare could be more as you get closer to the departure date but I just like how WN does not charge a change fee.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
It is a nice benefit. You didn't need to cancel, you could have just changed to the same flight. This is especially important if you purchased EBCI.

Sometimes it can still be cheaper on one of the legacy carriers even if you factor in one change fee. Also day of departure changes can be substantially cheaper on other airlines.

Just depends on a number of things whether or not WN is a good deal.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Refaring is even better on points bookings! No need to worry about using the fare difference toward travel within 1 year of original date of purchase.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Going to FLL 8/14. I checked today and noticed my same flight is now offered at a fare $60.00 lower then what I paid. So I cancelled the flight I had booked and immediately rebooked the same flight at the lower fare. No $200.00 change plus I can use the $60.00 difference at a latter date.
Does anyone else ever do the same. It would not hurt to check the fare being offered on a flight booked. Yes the fare could be more as you get closer to the departure date but I just like how WN does not charge a change fee.
I have similar experiences to that as well, so I check periodically.

Last edited by rtalk25; Aug 5, 2015 at 8:50 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: HH Silver
Same with Alaska Air. It is even easier with them, as you just click on the Best Price Guarantee button, and it automatically does the work for you.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:14 am

"No change fees" is still one of the strongest things Southwest has going, and IMHO is a substantial reason so many of us put up with things like their abysmal on-time performance. It's a great policy. Just be aware of the limitations on those funds. They are linked to/can be used by only the originally named passenger, they must be used (all travel completed) within one year from the original date of purchase, and, most importantly, if you apply those funds towards a new booking, and subsequently cancel that booking, all funds are combined and take on the oldest expiration date.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:43 am

Thanks for the heads up! We're heading to FLL in January and I just saved 10,000 RR points between our two reservations.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
I usually check once a day to see if I can re-book. Worked out for me for a trip to Chicago turned a $350 RT into a $100 RT (from DC)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:49 pm

Fares fluctuate so frequently, that I check daily for fare reductions on all of my upcoming WN flights.

I rarely check bags, so this is really the best thing going for me right now flying WN.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:49 pm

This is absolutely my favorite thing about Southwest.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
This is one of the best things WN offers! It is great.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
I just re-booked about seven future R/Ts from MDW for some significant savings. There are some crazy fares right now (I'm guessing a lot of price-matching). Lots of ~1900pt one-ways from MDW to LGA, DCA, BOS, PHL...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Bet the investors love to read threads like this and especially like this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html

Is it only a matter of time???
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Bonehead

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Bonehead

Gotta happen eventually, same with bag fees.

Any publicly traded corporation's mandated mission is to maximize value for its shareholders no matter how magnanimous its advertising, brand and public image.

The only thing which holds this in recheck from runaway pillaging is competition and there is less and less every year across every industry.

A saving grace might be an argument that the absence of these fees are a definitive edge on the competition which creates more business for Southwest but eventually it will be proven that fees didn't harm the other 3 carriers and it will be moot...

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 13, 2015 at 3:29 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.