Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major Blunder By Southwest

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Wanted to know if the OP got to where they were going. If so, the thread title, "Major Blunder By Southwest", doesn't fit the situation to me.
Pretty shortsighted to think "getting to your destination" is the one and only variable when considering what is or isn't a major blunder by Southwest.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by bon95
Pretty shortsighted to think "getting to your destination" is the one and only variable when considering what is or isn't a major blunder by Southwest.
Your opinion.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Wanted to know if the OP got to where they were going. If so, the thread title, "Major Blunder By Southwest", doesn't fit the situation to me.
Just because I was lucky enough to be far enough back in line to have the agent realize that my flight was going to depart ( after she already rebooked me for the next day) people who were ahead of me in line were ( and listened to the agents who said to go online and rebook themselves) already rebooked for the following day.

Had I not had questions about rebooking my CP I would have made the change online myself and flew the next day.

The flight was showing sold out for weeks and flew about 25% empty so IMO it was a MAJOR BLUNDER for the people who had to get hotels or sleep on the airport floor that evening.

I don't look at life as being all about me.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
This is FT - home of sensationalized click-bate titles. On second thought, NextTrip is correct - anything that can be perceived as negative about WN is frowned upon.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diver858
This is FT - home of sensationalized click-bate titles. On second thought, NextTrip is correct - anything that can be perceived as negative about WN is frowned upon.

Good to know that if for YOUR next flight the agent tells you that the flight is cancelled which involves you paying for a hotel room, renting a car or sleeping at an airport and then you find out the flight flew as scheduled that you will be ok with it.

How come I doubt that would be the case ?

BTW, I have never bashed WN before, IMO what happened to 25% of the passengers was a joke

EDIT....One more thing as I am done here. I got an email about 1pm saying the flight was delayed from 4pm to 4:25 and then another email saying was delayed until 4:55. I never got a cancellation email. My guess is the agents figured since the TPA flights were cancelled Orlando was also................so back to my major blunder title.

I wonder if any other flights were also figured to be cancelled that day but were not

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 4, 2015 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Here's something similar, wanted to treat my young son-in-law to a ISP-XXX-ATL flight Sunday, of course and even at the last minute, only a 5:45 AM ISP-TPA-ATL (same plane) is Standard Award available out of 8 options.

Plane goes mechanical in the middle of the night, no text/call and it's pushed back until 8:30 AM. Goes to board and they deny him and another couple boarding since the plane is no longer going TPA-ATL. 3+ hours wasted sitting around, no announcements, call, text etc,

There was talk of a voucher but nothing materialized and he eventually got home around Midnight!

Should I pursue the voucher for him?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I carry my CP card with me even though I have never, ever been asked for it. I figure I would much rather have it and never need it instead of being left in a tough spot if somebody suddenly demands to see it.

Also, I get a little worried that they might ask to see it at one of the international stations where there is contract servicing handling one flight a day that may not be familiar with stuff like the CP. Other countries seem to like to see stuff like that on paper (plastic) in my experience.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Maybe the flight 4606 that left MCO for BDL wasn't the same metal that flew BDL>MDW. I don't ever use flight stats and there are a bunch of changes in the timeline
The aircraft arriving from DEN took out your flight out closer to on-time.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I was flying BDL>MDW>MSP on Saturday. When we arrived at BDL the Southwest line was out the door. We were told about 45 minutes later that all flights into and out of Tampa had been cancelled and that our BDL>MDW flight was coming from Tampa so it was canceled.

EDIT, looking at flightstats this flight came from MCO.........agents said Tampa but I guess it's no surprise that this was also incorrect

Long story short, we waited in line about 30 - 45 minutes more to rebook as I wasn't sure how to rebook my flight and my companion ( was worried about not getting the CP seat as flight were filling up fast or so the agent told us) so I figured we weren't flying out that day so no hurry.

When we got to the agent she booked us on a 5:45 am flight the next day, my parents live in the area so I asked about a rental car discount, as she looked her radio said the plane for our BDL>MDW flight just landed so we got rebooked on our original flights.

The flight was 25 % empty, all those people were re booked on flights the following day, even the agents were trying to figure out how to contact they people the re booked.

If I never asked about the car rental discount chances are we would have left the agent, rented a car , drove the hour to my parents and returned the next day for our 5:45 am flight. Being it was around 3pm that would have meant we would have arrived at my parents around 5pm and had to get up at 2:30 am to come back to the airport

On a side note, having the CP card to rebook came in very handy as the agent wanted proof that she was my CP.
I keep my CP handy. It is an interesting conversation piece.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by alggag
I carry my CP card with me even though I have never, ever been asked for it. I figure I would much rather have it and never need it instead of being left in a tough spot if somebody suddenly demands to see it.

Also, I get a little worried that they might ask to see it at one of the international stations where there is contract servicing handling one flight a day that may not be familiar with stuff like the CP. Other countries seem to like to see stuff like that on paper (plastic) in my experience.
I am going to put it in my wallet right now. Never been asked for it, but I agree, better to be prepared, I guess.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I keep my CP handy. It is an interesting conversation piece.
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.