Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
2-hour-plus lines at Hobby yesterday

http://abc13.com/travel/travelers-st...-hobby/893514/
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Love the fact that it was triggered by a book handed out at a sorority conference.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I almost got caught up in this myself but am glad that I decided to fly my other half out on AA from IAH instead of AA from HOU on her way to a smaller city in Mexico.

Ironically enough I ran into the sorority back on Tuesday after leaving my eye doctor as all the restaurants close by the doctor's office were totally packed for lunch.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by pinniped
Love the fact that it was triggered by a book handed out at a sorority conference.
What in the heck did they put in (or on) that book?!?!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead

I just spit coffee on my screen. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by tusphotog
KHOU reports the suspicious items where thick booklets which apparently resembled explosives when packed in the bags.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...by-6415830.php
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:29 pm

We flew out of Hobby yesterday, our flight was #1321 departing at 0900. We walked in the terminal at 0800 am via the up escalator from where the rental car shuttle dropped us off. There appeared to be 2x lines, both going to what appeared to be TSA.

It was pure chaos in the entrance hall. So many people, lines and people and lines everywhere.

One line looked to go to the TSA entrance that is close to the baggage check in counter. This seemed long, but manageable. A longer line, that was snaking around in circles that also appeared to go to TSA.

It was confusing as all hell, we have only gone through Hobby once before. When we asked the one person where to go, she pointed us to the snake line. She kept telling us we had to get into that line. We were like NO, we will not make our flight if we stand in that line. We asked why we could not get in the (what appeared to be a shorter TSA line) and she said all these other people were there before us and we needed to get into that line. She then ran off and did something else. We then got in the "shorter line" which we quickly realized was for check-in for "Other Airlines" . We then walked up to the TSA queue, and was able to get to the ID/TicketCheker in less than 5 minutes, and cleared security in about 10 min - 15 total.

Looking at the map here: http://www.fly2houston.com/hou-Maps-and-Directions

It appears the first snake line in front of the escalators went to SWA check in counter, and the other long straight line went to other airline check-ins.

I am not sure if my descriptions make sense, but the short version is : 0800 AM, pure chaos, tons of people, not a lot helping and traffic directing.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SWA A-List, CP
There was a very large religious conference here in SAT a few weeks ago and at the end of the conference came a large media and social media push urging the attendees to keep all of the distributed printed materials in carry on bags...complete with signage at the airport.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:41 pm

Checked bags are scanned after they leave the counter, so this is probably in carry on luggage? Anyone think that a bunch of TSA agents just want to go digging through a bunch of sorority girls luggage? :-)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: none
Why is this on the WN/Rapid Rewards board?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Why is this on the WN/Rapid Rewards board?
Because "Hobby" = WN
Just like DAL = "WN"

lighten up...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by pr57001
There was a very large religious conference here in SAT a few weeks ago and at the end of the conference came a large media and social media push urging the attendees to keep all of the distributed printed materials in carry on bags...complete with signage at the airport.
Same thing happened in PHX after the Super Bowl. The programs had a metallic ink that (according to a couple TSOs) would look like explosives on the checked bag scanners.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:53 pm

I suspect they weren't "sorority girls" but ladies from "Delta Sigma Theta," a historic African American ladies service organization that had their national convention in Houston this week. These ladies seemed to be mostly middle aged and up. We met several at the Hyatt Regency last weekend. Lovely ladies. Definitely not college Greek Chicks.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Earendel
KHOU reports the suspicious items where thick booklets which apparently resembled explosives when packed in the bags
So it is unrelated to the TSA's usual war on the first amendment? Confusing the word "National" on the book with "Nitro" or the likes?

One would also assume that after encountering say 5 to 10 of these books at the very same checkpoint that the agents on questions would learn and adapt. Otherwise, this gives the evil folks are whole new and legal way in bringing down domestic air travel ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.