Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mobile Boarding Pass with Multiple People on Itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

I haven't flown with multiple people on my itinerary in awhile and just realized today that there is no offer to add my boarding pass to Passbook. Is this Southwest being a step behind everyone else, and there is no way to get a mobile boarding pass?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by AlexM125
I haven't flown with multiple people on my itinerary in awhile and just realized today that there is no offer to add my boarding pass to Passbook. Is this Southwest being a step behind everyone else, and there is no way to get a mobile boarding pass?
Mobile boarding passes are a pain. Print them out and don't hold up the boarding line please.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlaue
Mobile boarding passes are a pain. Print them out and don't hold up the boarding line please.
I use the mobile boarding passes all the time. I find them way more convenient than the paper.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:38 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
If you go to the app, you should be able to view and then add your boarding pass. Fly with family and this has worked for me.
(As an aside, if I have time, I get one from kiosk, much quicker to just hand them paper and board instead of waiting for scanner to be at right angle to view, but I like having mobile pass in case something goes wrong).
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:31 pm

I use mobile boarding passes all the time, but I often still print out a paper back up from a kiosk when its not inconvenient. As long as you save it as an image or screenshot on your phone, they take no longer than a paper pass to scan.

Southwest doesn't allow mobile boarding passes on multiple passenger itineraries. One suspects this is an IT limitation.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ursine1
I use mobile boarding passes all the time, but I often still print out a paper back up from a kiosk when its not inconvenient. As long as you save it as an image or screenshot on your phone, they take no longer than a paper pass to scan.

Southwest doesn't allow mobile boarding passes on multiple passenger itineraries. One suspects this is an IT limitation.
Right! Only 1 person at a time. You can't have more than 2 person.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
This is a known problem. The origin is that each individual needs their own boarding pass on their own device...no one phone for the whole family. Makes sense...but if you have a SW account you should be able to view a mobile the boarding pass on your own device.

It is really stupid.

We book a lot of employees and often have two or three on one confirmation # so we called SW. Their response...book individual tickets for each passenger if you want mobile boarding passes.

SW is getting left in the dark by the competitors when it comes to IT.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:28 pm

So, the mobile boarding pass will only work for one member of the party? Meaning, you can just email it to other folks and let them use it, too?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:38 pm

No. Southwest doesn't allow mobile boarding passes on multiple passenger itineraries.

If you have a multiple passenger itinerary, no one on that itinerary can use the mobile boarding pass option.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
No. Southwest doesn't allow mobile boarding passes on multiple passenger itineraries.

If you have a multiple passenger itinerary, no one on that itinerary can use the mobile boarding pass option.
Thanks. That's dumb, of course. Typical IT failure of WN...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I use the mobile boarding passes all the time. I find them way more convenient than the paper.
I have used the feature once in a while, but prefer not to take the risk of a TSA or gate agent fondling my 6" device, I prefer to keep it to myself.

Okay, technically 5.5", fully extended...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
I agree. On every flight, without exception, there's always at least a couple folks whose phone "times out" leaving them fumbling to pull up the pass. I'm typically A16-A20, so I have to imagine there are dozens others behind me with the same problem.

Then there's the glare issue. If there's a strong sun coming in, the glare makes it difficult for the scanner to pickup the code, leaving people rotating their phones under the scanner for 30 seconds trying to get it to read.

I've read where a lot of people say it's incovenient to get a paper pass. It takes me all of 20 seconds to step up to the kiosk, print the pass and be on my way. I can find an open kiosk about 95% of the time, so I RARELY wait.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
E-BPs have been working pretty well for me since they added Passbook support on iPhones. Passbook prevents auto lock, turns brightness to max, and automatically displays it on your lock screen when you're at the airport. Back when you had to pull it up in the email or text then I definitely agree that it was more hassle than it was worth. I'm not sure if Android has some equivalent.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alggag
E-BPs have been working pretty well for me since they added Passbook support on iPhones. Passbook prevents auto lock, turns brightness to max, and automatically displays it on your lock screen when you're at the airport. Back when you had to pull it up in the email or text then I definitely agree that it was more hassle than it was worth. I'm not sure if Android has some equivalent.
Completely agree. The picture of your BP was not good. There was too much that could go wrong.

I have found Passbook to be great. I've never had a problem, though others still don't quite understand the system...saw a lady yesterday not even put the phone under the scanner. Perplexed me.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hiker72
I've read where a lot of people say it's incovenient to get a paper pass. It takes me all of 20 seconds to step up to the kiosk, print the pass and be on my way. I can find an open kiosk about 95% of the time, so I RARELY wait.
Yeah, smartphone BPs seem to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

Back when I had a computer business, I was always surprised at some of the crazy efforts people made to computerize functions that were trivial on paper. They'd spend WEEKS on the stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.