Wiki Posts
Search

Cities That Have Lost the Most Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Cities That Have Lost the Most Flights

Perhaps no earth-shattering news as far as SWA directly is concerned, but an interesting read complete with a pretty pictures. I'd imagine our friends over on the DL Board will be vocal re: MEM's numbers (not that it's truly a shock).

The Cities That Have Lost the Most Flights

You know the drill.... if you don't have a WSJ subscrption & their paywall nabs you, Google the thread title.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
MKE (down 45%) wouldn't even be on that map if not for the ill conceived RJET idea of resurrecting nearly all former YX flights at roughly 110 per day . Using all RJET aircraft of course. That didn't work well for RJET YX or F9... Only remaining flight out of that debacle is ONE F9 flight per day to DEN. Down from a consistent 3 per day for many years plus a seasonal to MCO.

If they had looked at it 1,2,3 or 6 yrs ago it would have been a totally different picture.

MKE is down a tad on flights per day versus FL+WN but probably about the same as far as seats with upguaging from 717s to 737s and 700s to 800s. Share is down a bit primarily because DL has added more flights and upguaged quite a few.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 22, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:22 pm

Interesting read. I was surprised BOS has lost flights. It always seems like B6 and WN are adding routes there.

Also, it seems that the report didn't account for seats but just flights.

I'm also surprised this was quoted: "There are no more nonstop flights between New York-LaGuardia and Baltimore, for example." Is that really helping the case? Atleast choose a route where people weren't just using it for connections.

There is also too much focus mentioned about loss of service from PHF, and loss of low fares to NYC from there. While it may have been nice, Southwest has put those LGA slots on larger cities.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by rtalk25
This. It's hard to bemoan the loss of "flights" if you're also celebrating the loss of RJs for mainline. I would have liked to see this analysis in terms of numbers of seats.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: HH Silver
RNO has lost a ton of flights and seats in the past 10 years.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This. It's hard to bemoan the loss of "flights" if you're also celebrating the loss of RJs for mainline. I would have liked to see this analysis in terms of numbers of seats.
Lots of MEM service on NW - about 200 daily flights at time of merger - was on Saab props (gone), 50-seat CRJs (DL has gone from ~500 in 2009 to ~150 today), and DC-9s. None of those types would be economical today.

NW from MEM had non-stop service to about 100 destinations on the date the DL merger was announced - just two of whoch were not served by DL non-stop from ATL. The decline in flight count shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

A better analysis would be to compare originating traffic at MEM from 2008 to today, with a view to how changes in availability have perhaps caused people to drive or not travel. One could also look at how total travel (including connections) has changed to bigger airports that lost n/s service.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:00 am

Has the WSJ changed its pay wall rules? I just googled the article title clicked on the link but I kept getting a pop up telling me to login or subscribe.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:20 am

What explains Orlando-Sanford (+71.4%) and St. Petersburg-Clearwater (+93.9%)?

Charters? Cruise traffic? ULCC's?
__________________________________________________ ________

Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
"Airlines say the reduction has come about because eight of the biggest airlines have merged into four giants."

“We have a responsibility to maximize the productivity and profitability of our fleet,” Southwest spokesman Dan Landson says.

We have the stupidest or most corrupt government. The only thing the keeps profits at reasonable levels (not gouging) is competition. And they let it happen...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by traveller001
If they had looked at it 1,2,3 or 6 yrs ago it would have been a totally different picture.

MKE is down a tad on flights per day versus FL+WN but probably about the same as far as seats with upguaging from 717s to 737s and 700s to 800s. Share is down a bit primarily because DL has added more flights and upguaged quite a few.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by LegalTender
What explains Orlando-Sanford (+71.4%) and St. Petersburg-Clearwater (+93.9%)?

Charters? Cruise traffic? ULCC's?
__________________________________________________ ________

Allegiant is the reason for the huge growth
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Interesting article and data table.

But you can't look at flying in a vacuum just based on the number of flights. Number of flights, number of destinations, seat count are all important. I am curious on the seat count as the airlines have started transitioning over to more mainline.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by mbaker0936
Allegiant is the reason for the huge growth
America's insatiable appetite for cheap flights.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:03 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
I am really sad about this. Last year, I discovered how nifty it was to make a connection in MKE when going DCA-SEA. I really like the MKE terminal.
I have been trying to book an award ticket in Sept to go DCA-MKE-SEA. There is one, but it is way too early (the DCA-MKE flight leaves at 6:10am, metro doesn't start running 'til 5am). I tried making a custom connection through MKE with a later DCA flight, but that's a no-go because there is just one non stop flight that goes from MKE-SEA (at 9:40am). It seemed like it was a lot easier to book through MKE last year.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by rtalk25
Interesting read. I was surprised BOS has lost flights. It always seems like B6 and WN are adding routes there.

Remember international flights have exploded in BOS and all time pax records have been hit.

I looked back at July 2011 in BOS.

The drop can be attributed to the following:

American Eagle leaving BOS - lots of YYZ/LGA/JFK lawn dart flights -around 900 flights both directions combined in July 2011 - but a lot of that loss was filled by B6 and WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.