Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cities That Have Lost the Most Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by dc2
I am really sad about this. Last year, I discovered how nifty it was to make a connection in MKE when going DCA-SEA. I really like the MKE terminal.
I have been trying to book an award ticket in Sept to go DCA-MKE-SEA. There is one, but it is way too early (the DCA-MKE flight leaves at 6:10am, metro doesn't start running 'til 5am). I tried making a custom connection through MKE with a later DCA flight, but that's a no-go because there is just one non stop flight that goes from MKE-SEA (at 9:40am). It seemed like it was a lot easier to book through MKE last year.
AirTran used MKE a lot for BOS/LGA/DCA-MKE-SEA/SFO/LAX type connections and these connections would appear on kayak sometimes as the lowest fare from east to west.

While Southwest has all of those routes, I've noticed that scheduling has changed and such connections aren't emphasized or even offered anymore. Perhaps it's to increase or cater to MKE O&D. I think so far all is well, as no coastal routes have been dropped from MKE. Southwest appears committed on MKE-SFO and perhaps wants to keep exclusivity, over degrading it to MKE-OAK for example.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by LegalTender
After YX/F9 F9 is now just one per day. The data might include inbound and outbound and possibly not preened for codeshares.

Consider the mergers in order. UA/CO WN/FL and lastly AA/US. Again maybe codeshares...

There was duplication and as I mentioned some of the flights to hub cities have been upguaged.

AA had been CRJs to DFW and then started putting 80s on it (lately occasional A319s)

One never saw DL 753 or even 738s on scheduled routes until about two years ago now they're a regular sight. DL also did add LGA and BOS...

Number of flights isn't a measure of passengers traveled for MKE. http://www.mitchellairport.com/files...er_Traffic.pdf

You will see 2010-2011 was a period of fare wars that drained a ton of cash from RJET. They tried to rebuild the old YX network and failed miserably.

RJET as I recall from that period was about $4B in debt and around $150M in unrestricted cash yet operating thousands of flights mainly for other carriers. Most would have called that circling the drain. It was free market and a stupid decision by Bryan Bedford that really threatened to take down their core business of RJ flying. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 23, 2015 at 11:34 pm
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by dc2
I am really sad about this. Last year, I discovered how nifty it was to make a connection in MKE when going DCA-SEA.
The "little hubs" were almost always nicer/faster/more hassle-free than the mega-hubs.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:49 am

Expect CLT to make this list when AA pulls a STL post-TWA on it. Hopefully WN steps in like they did at STL.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25
While Southwest has all of those routes, I've noticed that scheduling has changed and such connections aren't emphasized or even offered anymore. Perhaps it's to increase or cater to MKE O&D. I think so far all is well, as no coastal routes have been dropped from MKE. Southwest appears committed on MKE-SFO and perhaps wants to keep exclusivity, over degrading it to MKE-OAK for example.
SAN was dropped and recently returned as Saturday only. SAN was sort of seasonal on FL but flew year round out of MKE as an ATL-MKE-SAN through flight aka FL17. Other West Coast destinations went from 2x per day to one for quite awhile. Although FL flew most of them with a late departure (evening block with a lot of connections though fares for O&D were appropriately lower) and a redeye return (also a lot of connections). IMO adding another 3-4hrs flying on an aircraft in a day whether it's O&D or not is worth a lot. I'd pay extra for a redeye over hotel expense for nearly full day at a destination.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Expect CLT to make this list when AA pulls a STL post-TWA on it. Hopefully WN steps in like they did at STL.
Umm, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. However, facts state otherwise. STL was really done in by the aftermath of 9/11, its proximity to DFW, and the bad economic conditions that followed. OTOH, CLT was/is a powerful, profitable domestic hub in the Southeast (a region that pmAA didn't serve well). CLT has absolutely NOTHING to worry about.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Umm, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. However, facts state otherwise. STL was really done in by the aftermath of 9/11, its proximity to DFW, and the bad economic conditions that followed. OTOH, CLT was/is a powerful, profitable domestic hub in the Southeast (a region that pmAA didn't serve well). CLT has absolutely NOTHING to worry about.
LOL. Nothing you said was factual. All completely biased conjecture. Its a fact that Don Carty bought TWA mainly for its assets on the cheap (it went BK) and to push international traffic from STL to ORD and DFW. Then when WN pushed for expansion in 2003, AA didn't want to play ball and further reduced flights.

And as for CLT, it's a fact that AA has been holding CLT hostage by requesting extensions and additional tax breaks. A simple google search will give plenty of articles which PROVE my point.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...eopardy/nj7ZF/

Even the flights crews based in CLT expect reductions in operations starting as early as 2017. When that happens (and it will), I expect WN to take advantage.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by formeraa
If STL is such a horrible airport, why did WN greatly expand its presence after AA abandoned the airport. WN is by far the # 1 carrier and AA is # 3.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
If STL is such a horrible airport, why did WN greatly expand its presence after AA abandoned the airport. WN is by far the # 1 carrier and AA is # 3.
Because they could under Wright to DAL. Routings out of DAL were very restricted.

FWIW I haven't been through STL since TWA and Ozark were flying. Has STL seen a 747 other than Airforce One since?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
LOL. Nothing you said was factual. All completely biased conjecture. Its a fact that Don Carty bought TWA mainly for its assets on the cheap (it went BK) and to push international traffic from STL to ORD and DFW. Then when WN pushed for expansion in 2003, AA didn't want to play ball and further reduced flights.
One has to remember the historical facts - STL and TWA were dogs for AA before day one. In what has to be a great "oh sh**" moment, AA tried to back out of the TWA deal at the 11th hour, and more or less was forced to complete the deal.TWA brought nothing to the table, but a bunch of washed up planes and a washed up hub at a washed up airline.

And as for CLT, it's a fact that AA has been holding CLT hostage by requesting extensions and additional tax breaks. A simple google search will give plenty of articles which PROVE my point.
This proves nothing; all the airlines stomp their feet and whine for tax breaks.
CLT is a well-positioned hub in the Southeast and I don't see much reduction.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
CLT is a well-positioned hub in the Southeast and I don't see much reduction.
I agree that it's a well-positioned hub and it's a great asset to AA/US for domestic traffic flows. AA wouldn't have added GRR-CLT for example, if it had no interest in keeping CLT long term. UA probably would want CLT if AA didn't, and DL would want it too just to monopolize the SE US, so it likely would be contested if AA decided to scale down or close the hub there.

I don't think Southwest has all that much interest in CLT aside from it being another spoke. A lot of the traffic that AA handles out of CLT is regional and Southwest services such few airports in the East and some rather lightly. It still keeps CLT-BWI at 2x daily, and it might be having to fight to keep traffic on it. And no CLT-DEN yet.

I noticed $59-60 fares later in August and beyond on CLT-BWI, which is a good deal for a BWI short-haul in the peak summer time.

Last edited by rtalk25; Jul 30, 2015 at 9:04 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 am

One has to remember the historical facts - STL and TWA were dogs for AA before day one. In what has to be a great "oh sh**" moment, AA tried to back out of the TWA deal at the 11th hour, and more or less was forced to complete the deal.TWA brought nothing to the table, but a bunch of washed up planes and a washed up hub at a washed up airline.
You mean the historical facts that I posted? That Carty wanted to take advantage of a financially distressed airline for assets and slots on the cheap and had no interest in the hub? The fact 9/11 happened and those assets turned worthless is irrelevant.

This proves nothing; all the airlines stomp their feet and whine for tax breaks. CLT is a well-positioned hub in the Southeast and I don't see much reduction.
Actually it does. Never before has AA/US threatened to dehub before on not getting the fuel tax break extended. And when Parker for 2 years running has had to publicly respond to analysts and journalists asking about CLT's long term viability, it means its on the table. With the majors focusing on limiting capacity to drive up fares and lower costs, its on the table.

Oh and the people at MEM say hi. An eerily similar airport who also had only one major airline and not great O&D traffic who DL promised wouldn't dehub.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:12 am

With the majors focusing on limiting capacity to drive up fares and lower costs, its on the table.

Oh and the people at MEM say hi. An eerily similar airport who also had only one major airline and not great O&D traffic who DL promised wouldn't dehub.
This is AA oriented: A possible direction of AA dehubbing CLT doesn't seem to fit with some of the current reductions. PHL-AUS and PHL-SAT is being cut (or seasonalized) from AA, but CLT-AUS/SAT remain year-round. CLT is closer to those Texas cities than PHL is to them, but PHL remains a larger market. You also see routes like CLT-PDX being flown year round but not PHL-PDX not, because of the same issue. PHL being too far out there, but CLT being more central, and hub optimization seems to be benefiting CLT more than PHL.

IMO WN would not really fit into CLT as a large player if AA were to cut CLT. WN doesn't have slot pairs to even offer EWR-ATL. It likely wouldn't be on EWR-CLT. 4 major airports in the east are slot pair oriented and WN controls only so much.

It doesn't service a lot of smaller airports that are short-haul distance to CLT, whose connecting feed is likely the main flow into/out of CLT. WN also doesn't like to run flights that are too short (e.g. CLT-RDU), or run red-eyes. It also already has BWI not too far up, and wants to make FLL also an international gateway.

Last edited by rtalk25; Jul 30, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25
This is AA oriented: A possible direction of AA dehubbing CLT doesn't seem to fit with some of the current reductions. PHL-AUS and PHL-SAT is being cut (or seasonalized) from AA, but CLT-AUS/SAT remain year-round. CLT is closer to those Texas cities than PHL is to them, but PHL remains a larger market. You also see routes like CLT-PDX being flown year round but not PHL-PDX not, because of the same issue. PHL being too far out there, but CLT being more central, and hub optimization seems to be benefiting CLT more than PHL.

IMO WN would not really fit into CLT as a large player if AA were to cut CLT. WN doesn't have slot pairs to even offer EWR-ATL. It likely wouldn't be on EWR-CLT. 4 major airports in the east are slot pair oriented and WN controls only so much.

It doesn't service a lot of smaller airports that are short-haul distance to CLT, whose connecting feed is likely the main flow into/out of CLT. WN also doesn't like to run flights that are too short (e.g. CLT-RDU), or run red-eyes. It also already has BWI not too far up, and wants to make FLL also an international gateway.
Hub optimization really hasn't started, especially since there has been very little fleet optimization. Yes, there are some subtle things as mentioned but that is not much. 200 flights do not need to be slashed from CLT for it to be rationalized, AA could downgrade a bunch of flights to achieve a similar affect. I am not saying this is exactly what will happen but it is a possibility.

Also, you have a ton of US loyalists in CLT. US essentially drove WN out of PHL and I'd expect they would try to do the same in CLT.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
Hub optimization really hasn't started, especially since there has been very little fleet optimization. Yes, there are some subtle things as mentioned but that is not much. 200 flights do not need to be slashed from CLT for it to be rationalized, AA could downgrade a bunch of flights to achieve a similar affect. I am not saying this is exactly what will happen but it is a possibility.

Also, you have a ton of US loyalists in CLT. US essentially drove WN out of PHL and I'd expect they would try to do the same in CLT.
US did drive WN out of CLT-MCO already, and B6 out of CLT-FLL prior to that. While it is said that US drove out WN at PHL, I wonder if BWI and ATL (through AirTran acqusition) was sufficient as east coast hubs for Southwest not to need to be what it was in PHL. Also, US didn't drive Southwest out of PHL-Florida and AirTran existed on that as well, and now it's Frontier which is expanding in that business.

US at CLT is a bigger fish in a smaller fish bowl however, so it can drive out competitors on even popular routes like CLT-MCO.

It's not uncommon now for US to charge hub captive fares. A CLT-MCO coach roundtrip on Oct. 6-8 is sellling for $687 on US. There aren't many other choices, except connecting in ATL on DL, or driving. It likely cuts O&D. At PHL, the trick is sometimes to use another airport as an origin airport. e.g. An ABE-CLE-PHL can be a lot cheaper than a PHL-CLE flight. Maybe CLT pax have to originate in GSO and fly GSO-CLT to their destination when the nonstop out of CLT is expensive.

I did visit the Concord airport where Allegiant operates from and avoids the US hub interference. It's in a nice area, but the terminal is a just a hangar. Without a terminal and several gates, it's probably too primitive for Southwest to switch to that airport.

Last edited by rtalk25; Aug 4, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.